Discipline: Watkins & Shady Say Bills Need a Culture Change

26CornerBlitz

Sal Capaccio (@SalSports)

12/30/16, 12:06 PM

LeSean McCoy says discipline "has been an issue" with Bills/coaching this year but "players have to be accountable"

Will the Rex apolgists attack Shady (paging Bart Scott paging Bart Scott)

So, is Shady wrong? The players have been unaccountable. Like Dareus. They don't pay attention to the details and then blame the coach for their slackness. It's on them.

Or will the Bills apologists now attack Shady?

This the least accountable franchise I can remember. They are a team of scapegoats. Rex scapegoats Roman. Whaley scapegoats Rex. Now the defensive players scapegoat Rex. How about a few more people saying that they screwed up and need to be way better?

Edited by vincec

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone isn't easy to like. But they weren't going to fire a coach coming off of the franchise's first winning season* in a decade.

You're right that he didn't show enough to earn an extension. Marrone confused effort with results, saw an out in his contract, overestimated his attractiveness as a HC candidate and thought he could at least land the Jets job. As a result, he took a chance and left. And it backfired...at least temporarily.

I think Marrone's biggest flaw was his unwavering commitment to Nate Hackett. The D was solid with Schwartz.

With a new OC.. the team could of been money. We will never know tho.

And that D under Schwartz is gone. Long gone.

Good for Watkins for speaking out and putting his name on it. Same with McCoy, unlike the coward who spoke anonymously.

Also good to see Bart Scott call out Mr. Big Puff for what I have railed against... stupidity. A team full of guys whining about a dense playbook is a team full of quitters. I've said it a million times, give me a guy (like Scott) who was committed and above all hated to lose, not guys like Gilmore and Dareus who show the passion of a dandelion.

If there is one thing I think this team lacks on the scouting end is a better grasp of the importance of intelligence and personality testing.

I hate the idea that the HC has to babysit his players. But ours seem incapable of babysitting themselves/each other.

Need a culture change.

Yes, players do need to be accountable, but culture or changing the culture have nothing to do with it (unless you can name me one successful organization, not just in sports, that exists "communally.") Given a chance many people in all walks of life are willing to screw off. Rex allowed the inmates to run the asylum.

If you want to see Sammy get his targets then Kyle Shanahan is the man for the job.

Shanahan would be perfect for the job.

Sammy was spot on. In today's NFL you need to be disciplined. The Bills were hampered by this. The next HC needs to strict a balance between discipline and having fun playing football.

need a Mike Tomlin type coach. Fun guy, but disciplined.

Just read on ESPN bottom line that "LeSean McCoy and Sammy Watkins believe discipline among players was an issue under coach Rex Ryan. McCoy said had problems knowing their assignments and that fines for being late to meetings were ineffective given players' saleries. Watkins added: "the coaches have to hard on us not scared of us."

Seeing McCoy's quotes on top of Sammy's from yesterday almost has me convinced Coughlin is exactly what we need.

yep

The players seem to be calling for a hard ass control freak. But how do you think a hard ass control freak will work with Whaley and Brandon? It didn't go so well with Marrone.

They need someone who will be a hard ass with the players but a kiss ass to the GM, President, and of course, Owners. Good luck.

Edited by vincec

The players seem to be calling for a hard ass control freak. But how do you think a hard ass control freak will work with Whaley and Brandon? It didn't go so well with Marrone.

Coughlin is a hard ass, but seems to get along with people MUCH BETTER than Marrone. Just because you are a hard coach, doesnt mean you have to be a dick to everyone you meet. Marrone didn't realize that.

Coughlin is a hard ass, but seems to get along with people MUCH BETTER than Marrone. Just because you are a hard coach, doesnt mean you have to be a dick to everyone you meet. Marrone didn't realize that.

Coughlin didn't seem to get along too well with management. Just look at how his tenure ended and at his final press conference.

Yes, players do need to be accountable, but culture or changing the culture have nothing to do with it (unless you can name me one successful organization, not just in sports, that exists "communally.") Given a chance many people in all walks of life are willing to screw off. Rex allowed the inmates to run the asylum.

You start this post saying culture had nothing to do with it. Then you admit it was Rex's culture that ruined them. :huh:

The good news is, you ultimately came around to the correct conclusion, even if you didnt realize it! B-):thumbsup:

Coughlin didn't seem to get along too well with management. Just look at how his tenure ended and at his final press conference.

He got along fine with management, until they wanted to push him out and he wasn't ready to go yet. That doesn't mean they don't like each other or didnt get along.

You start this post saying culture had nothing to do with it. Then you admit it was Rex's culture that ruined them. :huh:

The good news is, you ultimately came around to the correct conclusion, even if you didnt realize it! B-):thumbsup:

People in any field, if not given adequate supervision will screw off. It isn't related to culture in any way, shape or form. It's people.

I hate the idea that the HC has to babysit his players. But ours seem incapable of babysitting themselves/each other.

Need a culture change.

Here you are placing blame on the players and say that the team needs a culture change.

Keep your condescending smilies to yourself and at least own what you said.

People in any field, if not given adequate supervision will screw off. It isn't related to culture in any way, shape or form. It's people.

Here you are placing blame on the players and say that the team needs a culture change.

Keep your condescending smilies to yourself and at least own what you said.

Right, people will screw off. That is a known fact.

Accepting that as fact, and wanting people to NOT screw off, means you need to build a culture that motivates them to overcome those basic tendencies.

We agree on almost all of this.

Right, people will screw off. That is a known fact.

Accepting that as fact, and wanting people to NOT screw off, means you need to build a culture that motivates them to overcome those basic tendencies.

We agree on almost all of this.

If by culture you mean someone who pays attention to details and makes sure that his subordinates also do the same then yes.