With E.J getting the nod this week?

fansince88

Now that the season is over and EJ is starting what do you need to see from him to say "hey, perhaps he his starter material"? I realize it is a garbage game. I realize the Jets will be trying to tank more than us for that draft pick. I need to see 300+ yards and clean play. 30 points or more on the board. If not, keep TT for a serviceable QB. Lets see what people say. Yes DC Tom....I know...

TT is a serviceable and perhaps a decent QB. He survived the dreaded 2nd season and came out better than last year in my opinion.

The issue is does his skill match the money his agent believes he deserves. IMHO, everyone would support him as a keeper if he was paid $10M per. until we found the young QB who may be better. Maybe Jones, unlikely EJ but Sunday will show us something of EJ. EJ has a real issue with the short pass, not sure he can be fixed.

EJ would need to play the game of his life, like 20-24 with 300 yards a couple TD's and no picks. More importantly, he'd need to stand tall in the pocket, not look skittish at all, no balls in the dirt, use all parts of the field, not miss wide open guys, look off safeties, etc etc.

Basically, look like Tom Brady. Otherwise, bye.

EJ would need to play the game of his life, like 20-24 with 300 yards a couple TD's and no picks. More importantly, he'd need to stand tall in the pocket, not look skittish at all, no balls in the dirt, use all parts of the field, not miss wide open guys, look off safeties, etc etc.

Basically, look like Tom Brady. Otherwise, bye.

And since we are looking at one game the above still would not beat what Tyrod put up last week vs a better team.

And since we are looking at one game the above still would not beat what Tyrod put up last week vs a better team.

Taylor is done. The jig is up on the qb who can't qb.

Sell your Taylor jerseys now before he leaves town.

It's OVER THE MIDDLE time. SIMPLE SLANT passes are back !!

Adios Taylor. Enjoy the cash.

Taylor is done. The jig is up on the qb who can't qb.

Sell your Taylor jerseys now before he leaves town.

It's OVER THE MIDDLE time. SIMPLE SLANT passes are back !!

Adios Taylor. Enjoy the cash.

I don't believe it's been determined that he won't be back next season. It's very possible they decline to exercise the option to extend him and attempt to negotiate with his agent based upon what the next HC thinks of Tyrod.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I don't believe it's been determined that he won't be back next season. It's very possible they decline to exercise the option to extend him and attempt to negotiate with his agent based upon what the next HC thinks of Tyrod.

I'm not so sure, if he is slated to be 20th highest paid qb and he was coming back for sure he would be playing.

He's way too small in important spots, I see no reason to stick around.

I'm not so sure, if he is slated to be 20th highest paid qb and he was coming back for sure he would be playing.

You mean like the three drives in the 4th quarter to essentially win the game last week? You mean his absurdly good td to turnover ratio? Fans' expectations for QB are insane, but then again, there were people pulling for Reich to start back in the 90s.

EJ is playing because they want to see what they have in him as to whether he's worth bringing back as a cheap back-up. It's probably as simple as that.

They are smartly hedging against injury that would force their hand to pay the guaranteed money, but it certainly doesn't preclude him from coming back.

You mean like the three drives in the 4th quarter to essentially win the game last week? You mean his absurdly good td to turnover ratio? Fans' expectations for QB are insane, but then again, there were people pulling for Reich to start back in the 90s.

EJ is playing because they want to see what they have in him as to whether he's worth bringing back as a cheap back-up. It's probably as simple as that.

Just to clarify, the game you're talking about is the one they needed to win, but lost. Sorry, no bonus points for "essentially" winning anything. No way does a team undermine their starting QB by sitting him unless he's injured or they're resting him in week 17 to protect him for the playoffs. Neither is the case here. His benching is to protect the team from the injury guarantee in his contract. There is no other logical reason.

Just to clarify, the game you're talking about is the one they needed to win, but lost. Sorry, no bonus points for "essentially" winning anything. No way does a team undermine their starting QB by sitting him unless he's injured or they're resting him in week 17 to protect him for the playoffs. Neither is the case here. His benching is to protect the team from the injury guarantee in his contract. There is no other logical reason.

And with the new Head Coach up in the air sitting him and not taking the risk is really the only sane option. Tyrod will almost certainly not be QB next year if Lynn gets the job. He fits Lynns offense

Many here felt that EJ was the better QB in training camp & preseason but Rex started Tyrod because he felt Tyrod has the "it" factor.

Go Bills!!!!!

Goes to show you that "many here" couldn't get a clue if they were spotted "CLU"

Edited by jms62

They are smartly hedging against injury that would force their hand to pay the guaranteed money, but it certainly doesn't preclude him from coming back.

I don't think Whaley tries to bring Tyrod back under a new deal, but it is feasible. Here my question: Why would Tyrod come back? Are the Bills going to offer the most money? Because he likes it here so much? Let's not forget that the Bills will be pulling a huge contract out from under him and that he just got benched from not only the last game of the season, but also from the last week of practice. How do you think he is feeling about that? Oh, and the coach that wanted him here and made him the starter just got canned.

Now that the season is over and EJ is starting what do you need to see from him to say "hey, perhaps he his starter material"? I realize it is a garbage game. I realize the Jets will be trying to tank more than us for that draft pick. I need to see 300+ yards and clean play. 30 points or more on the board. If not, keep TT for a serviceable QB. Lets see what people say. Yes DC Tom....I know...

I could be wrong, but i don't think we'll be saying "hey perhaps he is starter material" here.

I thought Lynn made it clear in his presser he thought more highly of Taylor than of EJ. It was subtle but there. We have a depth chart: Taylor, Manuel, Jones. Taylor: "What I've seen is a young quarterback who has a lot of potential if he can continue to develop"

EJ: "He looks good in practice. He makes all the throws, he's a big man, he's athletic. He's very sharp, so it's going to be interesting to see what he does when the lights come on."

And with the new Head Coach up in the air sitting him and not taking the risk is really the only sane option. Tyrod will almost certainly not be QB next year if Lynn gets the job. He fits Lynns offense

The Bills will have a new HC in place long before Tyrod's bonus is due (3rd day of new league year). So theoretically the new coach could want him retained, but I don't see that happening. The new coach is going to want his own guy, not the last coach's guy.

The Bills will have a new HC in place long before Tyrod's bonus is due (3rd day of new league year). So theoretically the new coach could want him retained, but I don't see that happening. The new coach is going to want his own guy, not the last coach's guy.

Just saw I screwed up my post it should have said Tyrod will almost certainly not be QB next year unless Lynn gets the job

I think if the Bills had made their mind up and had thoughts of keeping Tyrod at his middling contract then what would it have mattered if he played and got injured, right? If they were interested in keeping him and paying him right? If they want to renegotiate, what do they renegotiate to? A bottom tier QB salary? He's scheduled to be paid middling money next year. I don't think it makes any sense that the Bills did this just to renegotiate.

I don't think have any want to keep him at all and have no interest in paying anything more past sunday.

27.5 million is middling money?

$15.5m roster bonus and $12m salary

What do you renegotiate there?

Do you go, yeah Tyrod were going to renegotiate your bonus from the $15.5m you already agreed to down to $7.75m for just being on the roster or do you renegotiate the very middling to low end $12m salary for a starting QB down to $6m? What's getting renegotiated?

$15.5m roster bonus and $12m salary

What do you renegotiate there?

Do you go, yeah Tyrod were going to renegotiate your bonus from the $15.5m you already agreed to down to $7.75m for just being on the roster or do you renegotiate the very middling to low end $12m salary for a starting QB down to $6m? What's getting renegotiated?

You do realize that Tyrod sitting out is not about renegotiation right? It is about not being 100% certain on who your new coach wants at QB and not taking a big financial risk of starting Tyrod in a game that is as meaningful as a 4th preseason game.

Neither TT or EJ is a starter in a league that doesn't have enough starting QBs.

TT is not going to stay as a backup, EJ might and we can afford him.

He's not a good backup some will say. There are FEW good backups in this league and even fewer teams capable of winning with a backup.

We know who he is which is why we need to start C. J.

You do realize that Tyrod sitting out is not about renegotiation right? It is about not being 100% certain on who your new coach wants at QB and not taking a big financial risk of starting Tyrod in a game that is as meaningful as a 4th preseason game.

But it is, it's about avoiding being tied to the injury clause and then renegotiating because they didn't allow him to play. If they were cool with his contract, he would be playing sunday.

and the new coach thing is strictly your opinion.

I don't think they want to keep him.

There is lots of film on EJ from regular season and pre season. Why would one meaningless game make a difference at this point. Maybe he turns in a Matt Flynn-like performance against a Jets team that has given up and turns that into a big payday?

I'm sure the 49ers heard that about Alex Smith, and yet...

You're correct, if EJ turns in a great performance he will get offers in this QB poor league where even teams with good QB are one hit away from QB purgatory.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

But it is, it's about avoiding being tied to the injury clause and then renegotiating because they didn't allow him to play. If they were cool with his contract, he would be playing sunday.

and the new coach thing is strictly your opinion.

I don't think they want to keep him.

If "They" is Whaley I think you are correct. Reeks of Whaley using Tyrod as a scapegoat in absolving himself of the Rex Ryan failure. You know... Although I had my hands in the Rex hiring, Tyrod was Rex's QB and he caused the teams problems. Problem with this is anyone that knows anything sees this teams failure as DEFENSE.. This is why Bills organization getting absolutely pounded by local and National media.

Just saw I screwed up my post it should have said Tyrod will almost certainly not be QB next year unless Lynn gets the job

Why would Lynn keep Tyrod? He's obviously okay with not starting him today. Why would Tyrod stay? Please refer to this post of mine:

I don't think Whaley tries to bring Tyrod back under a new deal, but it is feasible. Here my question: Why would Tyrod come back? Are the Bills going to offer the most money? Because he likes it here so much? Let's not forget that the Bills will be pulling a huge contract out from under him and that he just got benched from not only the last game of the season, but also from the last week of practice. How do you think he is feeling about that? Oh, and the coach that wanted him here and made him the starter just got canned.