Sully: Bills' bozos leave Lynn to twist on his own

Rico

The NFL has its own media. They call themselves NFL Media. The Bills have their own media. They have their own 'reporter' and they have WGR as their own mouth piece. TBN is the enemy. Zero upside, all downside. TBN gives the Bills nothing the Bills can't get on their own.

In 2016 the Bills need independent outside media like they need a hole in the Pegula's yacht.

They owe the media zilch. They need the media for nothing. The media is a liability for them.

I don't think you could be more wrong in your take that the Bills were wrong here because they were compelled to provide information. They are not.

Good post, to take it a step further... WE as fans have zero need for the local media as well. I've spent the last couple of week paying attention to the Sports reporters on the news, and the opinion guys at TBN. They do not give us anything that we can't immediately get right here. Heck, they've even used the board recently as an info source!

Every hot take I've seen the guys on Channel 2 or 4 give lately, I already read here days beforehand.

The Bills don't need them. The fans don't need them. And they know it. They must make it about themselves in order to keep a job, and that's what they are trying to do. Inject themselves into the show so it is them vs the Bills.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I'd add that I think that when it comes to ownership, this falls on Kim, not Terry. If you're to believe the narrative, Kim is the shotcaller. IMO, she strikes me as a person who's comfortable with being the owner so long as there are softball questions and press junkets with nice photos but relies heavily on Brandon/Whaley for the football "details."

A problem occurs when relatively straightforward situations (like explaining why you fired an under-performing coach or why you don't want to risk $30 million dollars) spiral out of her control due to the substantial professional shortcomings of both men.

I think the behavior of the press is a manifestation of the weak leadership. You have no owner or GM who's out there explaining what happened and telling it how it is. Instead, they throw a woefully unprepared for the moment Anthony Lynn out there and you get a lot of inconsistent stories.

If Whaley can't do it and Brandon doesn't want to do it - they should hire a Press Secretary just like the White House does and have him or her be the "face".

Don't they have one? Scott Berchtold?

I think the toxic situation we're seeing now is the result of both (a) the Bills are screwing up by not being out in front of the media to handle a few questions AND (b) the local media are over-reacting and being petulant children about it.

Whaley doesn't want to answer questions because he's an introvert and hates being the center of attention and probably figured, "Meh, I have to do it on Monday anyway so what's a few days?" Brandon likely isn't answering questions because the Pegula's don't want the public thinking Brandon has anything to do with what happens on the football field. And the Pegula's aren't answering questions because...I'm not sure. Maybe Terry is busy fracking?

For the most part I agree with you. Whaley definitely leans towards being an introvert. He's not in his comfort zone speaking off the cuff. So he probably wants to prepare for Monday questions when he will be able to provide more concrete answers on stuff (or at least have prepared answers). As for Terry, he's a terrible public speaker. He's much better off giving his statements in writing. I also don't get the feeling Terry wants Kim to go out there talking about coaches, quarterbacks, etc... She's great at dealing with internal business issues and making nice with the fanbase.

My other take on this matter is this:

Why couldn't Anthony Lynn handle those straightforward questions? We all knew what the real answers were. Why couldn't he give them? There aren't any secrets to protect really. Give the real answer, or just say "You'll have to ask Doug on Monday, Im just here to talk about the Jets game".

If he struggled at all, that's on him.

Good post, to take it a step further... WE as fans have zero need for the local media as well. I've spent the last couple of week paying attention to the Sports reporters on the news, and the opinion guys at TBN. They do not give us anything that we can't immediately get right here. Heck, they've even used the board recently as an info source!

Every hot take I've seen the guys on Channel 2 or 4 give lately, I already read here days beforehand.

The Bills don't need them. The fans don't need them. And they know it. They must make it about themselves in order to keep a job, and that's what they are trying to do. Inject themselves into the show so it is them vs the Bills.

Of course not. The Internet killed the corner market that local reporters had on information. They're careening into obscurity and everybody knows it. Obviously they're pissed because the Bills are making their jobs more difficult. Why fans think this has anything to do with them or with the team, I don't understand. When was the last time an embedded WNY reporter got a scoop? Their job is to show up with their recorders and get sound bytes when the team permits. You'll learn more about this team following the players on Instagram and Snapchat than you will by reading the **** they're obligated to say into a microphone.

The NFL has its own media. They call themselves NFL Media. The Bills have their own media. They have their own 'reporter' and they have WGR as their own mouth piece. TBN is the enemy. Zero upside, all downside. TBN gives the Bills nothing the Bills can't get on their own.

In 2016 the Bills need independent outside media like they need a hole in the Pegula's yacht.

They owe the media zilch. They need the media for nothing. The media is a liability for them.

I don't think you could be more wrong in your take that the Bills were wrong here because they were compelled to provide information. They are not.

May be you can help me get from point A to point B.

Point A: Bills don't get out in front of the questions on HC/QB (to which zero answers exist right now and everybody knows this, but for the sake of this exercise...)

Point B: This is bad for the Bills

With zero home games for the next nine months, what is the consequence of not kowtowing to the media?

Will this issue affect ticket sales next year? No. Attendance at training camp? Doubtful. Will the fans who are already visiting their websites and driving traffic cease to do so this offseason? Certainly not. Does it make the organization unattractive for FA's and HC candidates? Debatable, at best. Money walks.

I suspect you and I have a fundamentally different view of what the media's proper functioning in an informed democratic society is. If you approve of organizations shutting out the news media and instead opting for in-house propaganda outlets, more power to you. I for one think that this approach is a freaking blight on public culture in this country (and not just here). Yes, it's just a football team, but they are representative of broader trends. Exxon, for instance, would prefer not to have to deal with the NY Times investigative reporters because, hey, what's in it for them? Better to have their own house media or outlets like Russia Today. An occasionally hostile media is a bedrock foundation of democratic society. I care more about that than Bills ticket sales. But you are welcome to your opinion.

Why couldn't Anthony Lynn handle those straightforward questions? We all knew what the real answers were. Why couldn't he give them? There aren't any secrets to protect really. Give the real answer, or just say "You'll have to ask Doug on Monday, Im just here to talk about the Jets game".

Listening to it, he didn't struggle at all except for the part when Sully wanted to play Twister on some bull **** for the sake of embarrassing the new guy. The issue at hand:

1. Who made the decision on quarterback: Obviously not a mystery to anyone by that point
  2. Why it was made: Never anything the organization, HC, GM, owner, ANYBODY would ever disclose, particularly at a press conference, to begin with

These reporters continually show up at these press scrums thinking they're going to get an answer. They never do. Then the reporters B word about it. Here's an idea: may be do your !@#$ing job. If you think it's of vital importance to derive information from the organization to disseminate to the fans who invest time and money in following the team, then you're a !@#$ing hack if you think that information will be gathered at a press conference. DO YOUR JOB

I suspect you and I have a fundamentally different view of what the media's proper functioning in an informed democratic society is. If you approve of organizations shutting out the news media and instead opting for in-house propaganda outlets, more power to you. I for one think that this approach is a freaking blight on public culture in this country (and not just here). Yes, it's just a football team, but they are representative of broader trends. Exxon, for instance, would prefer not to have to deal with the NY Times investigative reporters because, hey, what's in it for them? Better to have their own house media or outlets like Russia Today. An occasionally hostile media is a bedrock foundation of democratic society. I care more about that than Bills ticket sales. But you are welcome to your opinion.

That's a huge leap from Entertainment reporting, to actual Government and Politics reporting.

Should celebrities stop shutting out TMZ? Because that is much closer to the Bills' situation than Exxon/USGov/NYTimes.

I suspect you and I fundamentally disagree on the role of the media as it pertains to a functioning democracy vs. an entertainment company.

With all respect to you, you are in the very small minority. It's why coaches get paid what they get paid and journalists get paid. Most of this guys are the kings of hindsight. I believe they hold grudges and let their personal feelings cloud their "reporting." The Buffalo media has no sources at OBD and they hate that.

And how could you not hate the Buffalo media? They are mainly weasels. It's funny that national recognized guys seem to be treated fine by the Bills. Maybe these guys should look in the mirror instead of trying to get other men to get fired.

I'm referring specifically to local "real news" coverage, which is better in Buffalo than in many other mid-sized cities because of News reporters. It's something I follow and care about.

Yep, I said the same thing on another thread. Whaley didn't need to hold Lynn's hand through that press conference.

Lynn- "I'm here to coach the jets game and I'm excited for the opportunity. EJ is the starter- team business decision, we will decide on the backup later in the week.. Questions about Rex... and the future after Jets game can be directed to team management"..

If Anthony Lynn stumbles and bumbles saying the starter is Cordell James or whatever...that's on him!

I also think you're naive to think that any organization with any kind of value doesn't see the press as the enemy and doesn't go to great lengths to conceal vast amounts of information from the public's consumption.

Is that okay? Depends on whose side your on. Is that how the world works? You bet!

It's human nature to protect your interests. Those interests are in direct opposition to the press's interests, rather consistently.

Good reporters know this.

That's a huge leap from Entertainment reporting, to actual Government and Politics reporting.

Should celebrities stop shutting out TMZ? Because that is much closer to the Bills' situation than Exxon/USGov/NYTimes.

It is a leap, but the principle is the same. Big-time sports in this country are considered newsworthy. For example, the NFL went to war with the NY Times over Alan Schwarz's many, many stories about the effects of concussions. No other outlet would cover the topic because the league threatened access to the Peter Kings of the world. Schwarz wasn't a sports reporter and didn't give a flying eff about the threats.

I also think you're naive to think that any organization with any kind of value doesn't see the press as the enemy and doesn't go to great lengths to conceal vast amounts of information from the public's consumption.

Is that okay? Depends on whose side your on. Is that how the world works? You bet!

It's human nature to protect your interests. Those interests are in direct opposition to the press's interests, rather consistently.

Good reporters know this.

Of course that's how it works - which is my basic point! You need a good media to reveal this stuff and stand guard, so to speak. Look--I'm not here to fall on my sword for Jerry Sullivan who is a columnist and not a reporter. But the principle of rich and powerful firms shutting out the media is one the media itself should fight. It's their freaking job.

Not sure of your point.

Well, if we're going to extrapolate yours, then in this case the local media is trying to dissuade fans from spending money on the team. Right?

If the press in a democracy exists to give voters vital information for them to use when they cast their ballots, then the press in an entertainment scenario exists to give fans information next time they might want to buy tickets or a sweatshirt.

Edited by The Big Cat

I did some crappy jobs in my life growing up - milking cows - pitched manure by hand with a pitchfork - harvested veggies from huge farm fields - and a variety of dirty manual labor. Thankfully I worked and educated my way out of those jobs.

But I still have more respect for anyone doing any of those jobs to make a living than I have for any sports journalist who writes opinionated pieces or who injects opinion into pieces that are classified as newsworthy. Those journalists should be picking the cowshit out of the cracks of the bottom of the boots that our local farmers wear to work every day. That's where they belong.

Sully isn't a journalist; he's a columnist. I'm speaking about the media at large, and like it or not the entity these reporters are covering is a huge, huge business especially when you factor in the exceptionally corrupt system known as big-time college football.

What are you questions that you need answered on Wednesday December 28th.

oh, i don't know....off the top of my head...

1. Are you responsible for the leaks that started after the oakland game?

1a. (when he inevitably stammers out his denial) Since only a tiny number of people could have been involved in that decision, who did it?

2. Why didn't anyone in the organization take questions after rex's firing?

3. Why was Anthony Lynn told to sit Tyrod.

4. Were you on board with Rex's hiring? His firing?

5. Do you think the Bills recent draft history has anything to do with the current record?

6. In retrospect, would you have done the Watkins deal? The Lawson deal?

and before you start, don't tell me when i need to have any of these questions answered. coaching changes are a big deal and the people in charge should be willing to step up and answer for them when they happen, not a week later. the fan's that fill that stadium year after year while they continue fielding garbage deserve that.

although, given that are a committed shill for management, you probably think everyone should just shut up and be happy there is still a team here.

Well, if we're going to extrapolate yours, then in this case the local media is trying to dissuade fans from spending money on the team. Right?

If the press in a democracy exists to give voters vital information for them to use when they cast their ballots, then the press in an entertainment scenario exists to give fans information next time they might want to buy tickets or a sweatshirt.

No, I think that the fans will come back regardless. I don't think writers for the News see it as their job to dissuade people from following the Bills at all. Not even close.

I'm referring specifically to local "real news" coverage, which is better in Buffalo than in many other mid-sized cities because of News reporters. It's something I follow and care about.

I agree. Buffalo has good news reporters and media. I think local Buffalo sports coverage has to be the worst in the country for a city with 2 pro teams and multiple division 1 sports. It's a joke.

I don't think Lynn struggled at all. He was honest and solid with his answers.