Kyle Shanahan for Head Coach. Here is why...

dezertbill

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He does make a good case, but here's my question: where Shanahan has succeeded, he had at least a competent QB (Schaub when he was good, now Ryan). When he had ??? at QB in Washington and Cleveland, not so much.

We'd love Matt Ryan, but we don't have him. How would Shanny do with a "meh" guy calling his plays? Would he adapt, and what's the evidence for that? Or would he pull a Chan, where he used to drive me nuts by calling a Brees-quality passing game with a Fitz under center?

I think Tyrod is better than Schaub. Kyle can work with Tyrod/Watkins/Clay/McCoy. They need to get a #2 WR.

dezertbill does make a compelling case for Kyle Shanahan and he did interview for the Bills HCing job while he was with Cleveland.

However, I highly doubt Doug Whaley hires him because he wants someone that won't question the roster and will play who he wants and that's Lynn.

Kyle Shanahan come in for an interview when the Pegulas first took over and I've heard the Pegulas liked him. I don't see why he wouldn't come back for another interview.

Doesn't mean he would chose Buffalo, because I'm sure he will have plenty of options, but I I doubt he would turn down the interview.

seems like a great case for this guy. i wonder who is dc would be though? we've been developing tyrod and i wonder if he can take tyrod to the next level.

As I said up thread the rumour is apparently his DC choices have not convinced teams in the past, nor have his plans to have his dad involved.

dezertbill does make a compelling case for Kyle Shanahan and he did interview for the Bills HCing job while he was with Cleveland.

However, I highly doubt Doug Whaley hires him because he wants someone that won't question the roster and will play who he wants and that's Lynn.

Where is this information coming from about Whaley wanting his guy to be a Yes man!!!

The situation with regard to the ability to acquire coaches has improved with Ralph being gone.

But it's still not a good organization and they are in a competitive limbo.........too old to tear down without a complete collapse and tied to a GM that isn't exactly universally admired around the league.

Whaley sinks or swims next year so he really should take a page out of a GOOD COACHES playbook and do the best you can with what you've got.

I don't feel bad for Doug Whaley........if he was THAT against Rex he should have made a stand.

His failure is part of DW track record like it or not.

Really?

In 2014 we had a roster that produced the top 4 defense in points allowed and

in 2016 we have (so far) a roster that produced the top 9 offense in points scored.

Can someone tell me how can an aspiring coach can be so dismissive of those tangible stats? Those rosters didn't fall from the sky, they were assembled by DW and two coaching staffs, unless you think DW went full rogue, which would work in his favor, not against.

OP makes a compelling case, and one that honestly, I believe I could support. I'm hoping the Bills can find an innovator and one who has shown they can produce Offense and QBs, because this team needs a QB they can identify with for the next decade or more. QB development comes as one the top two things they need to be able to do in my mind and while there will be much debate as to who that QB could / should be, and no I personally don't think he's on the roster right now, I think we can all agree developing the next great Buffalo QB, MUST be a priority....and in my mind, there's nothing more salient to Buffalo's future success than that single factor alone. They need to improve the Defense yes, they need to find depth at WR and TE, yes, and they need to find a kicker who doesn't get a case of the Yips every time the wind blows more than 5 mph, but QB development will set the course of this franchise, as it's absence already has, for the next 10 to 12 years.

Really?

in 2016 we have (so far) a roster that produced the top 9 offense in points scored.

Can someone tell me how can an aspiring coach can be so dismissive of those tangible stats? Those rosters didn't fall from the sky, they were assembled by DW and two coaching staffs, unless you think DW went full rogue, which would work in his favor, not against.

excellent points.

Where is this information coming from about Whaley wanting his guy to be a Yes man!!!

It's rather obvious, isn't it? Whaley has eventually clashed with the past two head coaches in first a screaming match over the players and lately Rex not starting the QB Whaley wants to see play.

Lynn went into a PC and didn't even have the slightest idea as to why Tyrod wasn't starting. He stated he wasn't even in the room when that decision was made and to compound it nobody let him know any details afterward.

Really?

In all honesty getting to the playoffs is not all that difficult with a halfway decent team. It's about winning in the playoffs and getting to the SB that's the most difficult.

This franchise kept spinning it's wheels on different schemes and coaches every few years because the past owner didn't want to pay top dollar for a HC and the cronies involved in that old process are still with the team making stupid decisions.

Nothing changes until Terry Pegula clean's house and hires a team president of football operations that has a history of winning.

Really?

I didn't say the roster was poor......there has been plenty of talent......but it would be foolish to say that it isn't in decline.

They've had at least wildcard level talent since the end of Chan's era and the talent level peaked in 2015.

Mario Wiliiams was an All Pro in 2014, Percy Harvin flamed out, Karlos Wiliams flamed out, Aaron Williams flamed out.......

This offseason the Bills have a couple dozen free agents....including starters Gilmore, Z.Brown, Lorax...... and starters like Kyle Williams, Wood, Incognito, McCoy, Clay, Felton, Graham aren't going to make it to year 3 of any new regime.

The team is built to win NOW.......and as I've said it will take a lot of good drafting and FA decisions to re-stock.

I didn't say the roster was poor......there has been plenty of talent......but it would be foolish to say that it isn't in decline.

They've had at least wildcard level talent since the end of Chan's era and the talent level peaked in 2015.

Mario Wiliiams was an All Pro in 2014, Percy Harvin flamed out, Karlos Wiliams flamed out, Aaron Williams flamed out.......

This offseason the Bills have a couple dozen free agents....including starters Gilmore, Z.Brown, Lorax...... and starters like Kyle Williams, Wood, Incognito, McCoy, Clay, Felton, Graham aren't going to make it to year 3 of any new regime.

The team is built to win NOW.......and as I've said it will take a lot of good drafting and FA decisions to re-stock.

That's a good point, eventually Kyle will retire, Graham won't be able to cover the ground he used to, Incognito's play could take a dive next year, but they are under contract and will be part of this next "rebuilding process" (hate those words) with a new HC. So yeah, win now should be the goal, always, IMO

The fact that we have so many players leaving in FA could be seen as positive rather than negative if we're going to a 4-3 defense, we don't have to cut players and unnecesarily eat dead cap going forward. It gives DW and the new DC some flexibility on who to bring.