Bills Announce Whaley to Lead the Head Coaching Search

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A sad state of affairs indeed. Whaley is being rewarded for amateurism and idiocy. He lacks discipline just like Rex, he just looks and sounds better.

It really is a pity, but I doubt that this team will improve with a stronger Whaley. It will probably get worse.

It's amazing after this past off-season the Pegula's bought the narrative that Whaley's stocked the roster but Rex didn't coach it well enough.

Whaley is the same guy who makes remarks on the radio in current times about football not being a game humans should play and need walking back the following day. Same guy who drafts damaged players in the first round. Same guy who still hasn't found a QB and insisted on one so flawed for 2+ seasons. Same guy who has the Bills tighter against the cap than most teams and doesn't really have a QB to pay. Same guy who talked about being in "quarterback purgatory." Same guy who's drafted all of or signed as a UDFA 3 starters on offense in 4 drafts. Same guy who's traded up in 2 of the last 3 drafts when the team wasn't close to competing.

This is the guy the Pegula's apparently want running their HC search. If anything, Brandon and Whaley are telling the emperor how great their new clothes are. They excel at that kind of subterfuge. Problem is ownership buys their line and shows no sign of figuring those guys out.

It doesn't open. Care to summarize it?

Bill: Cut and past the entire thing into the search engine, and then delete the spacing I put in for "buffalo." But the bottom line is that it's someone who claims to be from within the org who says that the team pres and the gm have been at war for a long time with the coach, and that they've basically secured all of the access to the owner. The person also says it has become a depressing place to work because of the constant backstabbing. I recommend reading it. I'll post it again in the shout box too.

While my sense is that Whaley is part of the problem, if they're determined to keep him, at least Pegula appears to be putting him in a position where there won't be any more excuses for failure. He either gets it right or he's out the door in a couple of years.

It doesn't open. Care to summarize it?

Whaley and Brandon have used their additional access to the Pegulas to protect their jobs and cast blame at the rest of the staff, including but not limited to time spent sitting with the Pegulas at games. All of it due to a difference in philosophy between Whaley and Rex about how to win football games.

Basically

ama.png

ml7b6q.jpg

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Whaley and Brandon have used their additional access to the Pegulas to protect their jobs and cast blame at the rest of the staff, including but not limited to time spent sitting with the Pegulas at games. All of it due to a difference in philosophy between Whaley and Rex about how to win football games.

Basically

yup.

Thanks BuffaloHokie13....guess Russ and Doug want to play 11 guys on D..... :oops:

Basically

ama.png

ml7b6q.jpg

Again, from what I recall reading at the time: they shared kisses on the Pegula Yacht over expensive wine and it was made known how Whaley and Rex were kindred spirits and they all sang kumbaya.

I am exaggerating of course but at no time did I ever hear that Doug Whaley was not for hiring Rex until . . . oh wait . . . the same time as the rumors about Rex being on the hot seat started circulating.

Hmmmm.

You usually don't hear those things until the next few weeks.

Basically

ama.png

ml7b6q.jpg

I believe this more and more.

They made Rex the scapegoat and leaked to the media and undermined Rex. It would have been nice for the HC - any freaking HC - not to be actively undermined by others in the organization.

I believe this more and more.

They made Rex the scapegoat and leaked to the media and undermined Rex. It would have been nice for the HC - any freaking HC - not to be actively undermined by others in the organization.

Like I said, it's sadly plausible. Has me wondering more and more about Marrone. I'm no fan of his, but maybe he did the right thing. Speaking of him, if he wins on Sunday, his lifetime record will be .500!

Pegulas are blindly in love with hollow men. Not good for fans. Bills will remain irrelevant. Ownership seems to be the crucial element in a sports business. They gave to know the game they have invested in.

I love the Pegulas but they clearly are not listening to the right guy.

Whaley has done an okay job. I hope he not only has final say, but feels comfortable to hire the guy he wants.

I posted this in another thread as well, but my idea for the next staff:

Not sure if there are any relationships between these coaches, but my top choice would to bring in Mike Smith from TB to be HC. Dude has won at the NFL level and led his teams to the playoffs multiple times.

On Offense, bring in Matt LaFleur, Falcon's QB coach. He has great experience at both the college and NFL, with multiple responsibilities on the offensive side of the ball. He has coached RGIII and Matt Ryan to the best statistical years of their careers and was key to the development of Kirk Cousins.

Defensive Coordinator; try to get Rocky Seto, Assistant Head Coach/Defense, here from Seattle. He has been instrumental in the success of that defense, especially his work with the secondary.

He does seem like a guy who isn't especially trustworthy. I'd love to hear the full Marrone story at some point. Something definitely happened there, and there is always more than one side to the story.

Marrone was a Major League Richard and a simpleton...How anyone with even the slightest bit of understanding in human nature could not figure that out after hearing the guy talk for 5 minutes is completely beyond my understanding...

If you're looking for dirt on Whaley, and no question there likely is dirt, the Marrone situation is definitely not where I would start...I could care less what Marrone's side was...He was awful... B-)

Marrone was a Major League Richard and a simpleton...How anyone with even the slightest bit of understanding in human nature could not figure that out after hearing the guy talk for 5 minutes is completely beyond my understanding...

If you're looking for dirt on Whaley, and no question there likely is dirt, the Marrone situation is definitely not where I would start...I could care less what Marrone's side was...He was awful... B-)

Like I said, I wasn't a fan of Marrone, although I think he had some redeeming qualities as a coach (discipline, for instance). I do think there are two sides to every story, however. I'm not sad he's gone; I just want to know what really happened.