Bills Announce Whaley to Lead the Head Coaching Search

26CornerBlitz

@NFL

“The Bills seem to be the most ready to win right now of the openings.” http://on.nfl.com/ZWC3qO

(via @RapSheet)

C0tVELsUoAA0843.jpg

That highlight reel of Tyrod showed every lousy play he made all year. Didn't show one positive play. That's ridiculous. I don't think he's great, but he has made some great plays during his term here. Enough? Probably not. But they weren't all crap plays.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a GM gets to pick his own head coach.....that's crazy....(sarcasm)

Again, from what I recall reading at the time: they shared kisses on the Pegula Yacht over expensive wine and it was made known how Whaley and Rex were kindred spirits and they all sang kumbaya.

I am exaggerating of course but at no time did I ever hear that Doug Whaley was not for hiring Rex until . . . oh wait . . . the same time as the rumors about Rex being on the hot seat started circulating.

Hmmmm.

Edited by Peter

Never once did they say that. As a matter of fact, it was well documented that Rex met with the Pegulas and Brandon before ever meeting with Doug to talk football philosophy.

Who was on the Top Five Yacht in Boca?

I don't dislike Whaley, I think the jury is still out on his body of work...But if I'm a head coach candidate, would I really want to work with the guy? I'd see an inner-circle of Pegula, Doug and Russ and think when the crap hits the fan, I'll be the one left w/o a chair.

Agree with everything you posted. It's hilarious the hate Whaley gets. He put together the pieces for a #4 overall defense.

Without a franchise qb, he put together a flawed but pretty productive offense. Let him hire his own coach and then he sinks or swims with him.

I never started to dislike Doug Whaley or suggest he should be fired (notwithstanding overpaying for Sammy etc.) . . . until I suspected that he was throwing the head coach under the bus with leaks and with ownership.

What I have read today confirms my suspicion.

This is not a good look for the organization in general, for DW in particular or to any prospective HC who is desirable and in demand.

I also do not like guys who go behind people's backs like someone (read Dough Whaley or someone close to him) to guys like Jason La Canfora. Again, not a good look and it says something about the person's character.

I never started to dislike Doug Whaley or suggest he should be fired (notwithstanding overpaying for Sammy etc.) . . . until I suspected that he was throwing the head coach under the bus with leaks and with ownership.

What I have read today confirms my suspicion.

This is not a good look for the organization in general, for DW in particular or to any prospective HC who is desirable and in demand.

I also do not like guys who go behind people's backs like someone (read Dough Whaley or someone close to him) to guys like Jason La Canfora. Again, not a good look and it says something about the person's character.

He does seem like a guy who isn't especially trustworthy. I'd love to hear the full Marrone story at some point. Something definitely happened there, and there is always more than one side to the story.

I think he gets a lot of hate for the QB situation.

He put just about all his eggs in the EJ basket and did pretty much nothing for insurance purposes if EJ failed which he did.

If there's one thing you can thank Rex for in his short time here it's the offense. I hope they keep TT and Whaleys ego doesn't get in the way of that.

Oh please. It's the worst passing offense in the league. Yes, they have been better, but I wouldn't call it a great success, and I doubt Wrex had much to do with it.

I think he gets a lot of hate for the QB situation.

He put just about all his eggs in the EJ basket and did pretty much nothing for insurance purposes if EJ failed which he did.

If there's one thing you can thank Rex for in his short time here it's the offense. I hope they keep TT and Whaleys ego doesn't get in the way of that.

The one thing that would scare me about TT has nothing to do with ability. I think he's really exciting and skilled....However TT is small. I stood next to him as we looked around the Hockey Performance Center at the Harbor Center Marriott in October. I am 5' 8" tall and weigh 165 -- pretty thin -- he was not that much taller (I would say the listed 6' 1" is generous) or bulkier than me. As a GM I would pay him at the second tier knowing I need a Matt Moore type backup in case he gets crushed. That's why I think Whaley is hesitant..the guy is small and an injury risk.

BTW, a really nice person. TT is a very nice young man. My daughter and I happened to be checking out the hotel workout room the Saturday night before the Niners game (same floor as the hockey performance center and the rinks). TT was headed to Bible study with the team Chaplain. We chatted for a few moments about everything but football..more about how much investment the Pegulas have made in downtown Buffalo and how he likes the city.

He does seem like a guy who isn't especially trustworthy. I'd love to hear the full Marrone story at some point. Something definitely happened there, and there is always more than one side to the story.

It seems that way.

I honestly believe that any worthwhile, in demand HC candidate is going to have some severe reservations given Whaley's history with Doug Marrone and Rex Ryan (who basically gets along with everyone).

I know some want to wear blinders on this, but it is obvious to me. The Pegulas better be prepared to overpay to get anyone who may be in demand.

Otherwise, we will hire Anthony Lynn - a guy whose biggest advocate ironically was Rex Ryan. I suspect that we will not have to "outbid" anyone for Lynn.

Again, I like Lynn and what happened to him is very moving. He could end up being great, but he is someone who needs an opportunity more than many.

this full buffalo range post is disturbing if true, but it's also sadly believable given the turmoil in the organization. http://www.bu f f a l o range.com/hard-core-buffalo-bills-talk/223103-bills-employe-reddit-blowing.html

Get rid of the spacing to read the thread and check out the response early on.

It doesn't open. Care to summarize it?