Is there any chance we cut or trade Wood next year?

Big C

In light of the season being effectively over now, I have been thinking about some ways to pkay around with the roster for next year and this came to mind. I'm not an expert on cap stuff, but I know despite some dead money we also save some for getting rid of Wood. I know the guy is a leader and all, but I was surprised to see that the line has not taken any noticeable hit from his loss this season. I may even be so bold to say that Groy has been better. Certainly better value. He is a RFA next year, do we think about rolling with him at C next year?

I think there is a chance - yes. But it is to do with his cap # rather than Groy.

I still say it is 80/20 he is here.

Fair, but I still think Groy has acquitted himself well. He was good as a 6th lineman and he's been good at center. Would be useful on the roster one way or another. He'd be a plug and play option so we can save the money and not worry about center in the draft.

Fair, but I still think Groy has acquitted himself well. He was good as a 6th lineman and he's been good at center. Would be useful on the roster one way or another. He'd be a plug and play option so we can save the money and not worry about center in the draft.

Absolutely think they tender Groy. But he will most likely remain their premier swing backup.

Years ago I suggested the Bills select a Center in the draft, because a high rated Center can be had at a lower rated pick than a Guard. I felt that Wood could start at Guard, and back up at Center. I was ridiculed, and everyone said "why move guy from a position that he excels at?) Well, I felt that they could improve the line with a lower round pick AND have a great backup Center. Now, Wood has fallen off at Center, and Groy is just as good. Try Wood at Guard.

So is Russ

Florida Marlins Owner: "Russ who?"

Russ Brandon: "Brandon"

Florida Marlins Owner: "It's been 20 years."

Russ Brandon: "Yeah I know...Buffalo."

Florida Marlins Owner: "The last 17 years have been pretty bad for Buffalo."

Russ Brandon: "Yeah, it was general managers."

Florida Marlins Owner: "Get off my porch!"

Years ago I suggested the Bills select a Center in the draft, because a high rated Center can be had at a lower rated pick than a Guard. I felt that Wood could start at Guard, and back up at Center. I was ridiculed, and everyone said "why move guy from a position that he excels at?) Well, I felt that they could improve the line with a lower round pick AND have a great backup Center. Now, Wood has fallen off at Center, and Groy is just as good. Try Wood at Guard.

Our Guard positions are solid right now with Incognito and Miller and both of them are going nowhere anytime soon.

Our Guard positions are solid right now with Incognito and Miller and both of them are going nowhere anytime soon.

Correct. Wood was having a very good year before the injury too. Groy was another excellent street FA pickup and the line hasn't missed a beat... good job we have a terrible GM.....

He is Just A Guy at this point. A "leader" of perennial loser.

Bills are favored to win on the road this week despite the circus-meaning they haven't been perennial losers for 3 years.

The Cap takes a big jump next season and we're already going to be strong financially. No reason to make cuts to battle the cap.

Next year will be the last year of his current deal. I say we keep him for next year and see what happens.

The question is, Groy becomes RFA at the end of this year, what tender do we place on him?

Edited by Fixxxer

They would save about $3 million by cutting him but still have to pay a little over $4 million in dead cap. I think its more likely they restructure/extend than cut him.

Groy will likely spend one more season as the interior swing man. I think he's done well since the Wood injury. In 2018, he can have the chance to unseat Wood or replace Incognito. Let's not forget Richie is closing in on 35 years old and if the Bills cut him after 2017, they save over $6 million ($7.575 cap hit vs $1.15 dead money)

They would save about $3 million by cutting him but still have to pay a little over $4 million in dead cap. I think its more likely they restructure/extend than cut him.

Groy will likely spend one more season as the interior swing man. I think he's done well since the Wood injury. In 2018, he can have the chance to unseat Wood or replace Incognito. Let's not forget Richie is closing in on 35 years old and if the Bills cut him after 2017, they save over $6 million ($7.575 cap hit vs $1.15 dead money)

True. Do we think they move Groy or Wood to guard when Richie goes?