Trump foreign policy

Baghdad Bob Trump is back howling at the moon again 

“Sadly, the thing they do understand is Strength and Power,” he said. “Any attack by Iran on anything American will be met with great and overwhelming force. In some areas, overwhelming will mean obliteration!” 

WALTER RUSSELL MEAD SAYS TRUMP KNOWS WHAT HE’S DOING ON IRAN:

Mr. Trump’s approach to American diplomacy horrifies an establishment that believes restraint, predictability and responsibility are the hallmarks of a global hegemon. Lesser powers can indulge in histrionic grandstanding, clownish antics, outrageous claims and public tantrums. The hegemon exhibits power by rising above such tawdry tricks.

This is not the Trump approach.

Given the foreign policy establishment’s sorry record over the last few decades, that’s probably just as well.

• Like (+1) 2

TRACKING U.S.-DPRK RELATIONS ON THE 69TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE KOREAN WAR:

Overall, President Trump appears to still maintain a healthy amount of mistrust of Kim Jong-un, refusing to remove troops from the Korean peninsula and maintaining all sanctions. Secretary of State Pompeo embodies this mistrust when he underlines that there will be no sanction relief until the complete, verifiable denuclearization of North Korea.

As President Trump continues to engage with Supreme Leader Kim, he must stand his ground and never give too much, or else he risks threatening what the U.S. did to help South Korea 69 years ago.

Read the whole thing.

Europe still holding Obamas nuclear deal together and keeping Iran from the bomb 

More talking, less threatening is good. “Iran appeared to have at least temporarily backed away from its ultimatum on breaching the 2015 nuclear deal, as European nations made last-ditch efforts to salvage what remains of the multilateral accord and avert a slide toward war.”

~50 seconds in. "I've been told that KJU would like to meet and it looks like they are in final stages of working out just a very quick meeting"

Currently a live event, where President Trump has mentioned the upcoming DMZ visit with KJU:

11:05PM Pacific:

11:45PM Pacific:
The handshake happened. And the USSS must have lost their collective minds as Trump walked 20 paces into North Korea. (Ha! Looking at a re-play of the video I think he took 17 steps forward :ph34r:)

Edited by Hedge
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Nanker said:

Peacemaker in Chief. 

38 minutes ago, KRC said:

If Trump keeps this up, Obama is going to get another Nobel Peace Prize.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

i get that the tests have stopped..and am happy for that. But even considering that, do you believe North Korea is somehow a lesser threat than it was 24 months ago? I mean Chamberlain had some great meetings with evil people too

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

I get that the tests have stopped..and am happy for that. But even considering that, do you believe North Korea is somehow a lesser threat than it was 24 months ago? I mean Chamberlain had some great meetings with evil people too

NK depends on China. I have no idea what Trump's plan is, but clearly Kim was pleased to see him. That smile on greeting seemed genuine.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

NK depends on China. I have no idea what Trump's plan is, but clearly Kim was pleased to see him. That smile on greeting seemed genuine.

i am sure he is glad to see Trump..he gets legitimacy on the world stage meeting with the POTUS and being called a great man.. and gives nothing in return. As I say, i am not one who does not want Trump to succeed here,,i do. But i am not so sure he is going about it correctly

• Haha (+1) 1

i am sure he is glad to see Trump..he gets legitimacy on the world stage meeting with the POTUS and being called a great man.. and gives nothing in return. As I say, i am not one who does not want Trump to succeed here,,i do. But i am not so sure he is going about it correctly

Even the MSM isn't beating Trump up for this diplomatic gesture. Give it 24 hours before you decide that this was a horrible thing to do, ok?

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

Even the MSM isn't beating Trump up for this diplomatic gesture. Give it 24 hours before you decide that this was a horrible thing to do, ok?

not saying it was horrible, but also not going to nominate for Peacemaker of the year is all. I had this debate on here 15 months ago when so many were proclaiming NK nuke free after the first summit..results and concrete agreements i will praise to the heavens

20 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

not saying it was horrible, but also not going to nominate for Peacemaker of the year is all. I had this debate on here 15 months ago when so many were proclaiming NK nuke free after the first summit..results and concrete agreements i will praise to the heavens

I don't remember anyone here stating that NK was nuke free after the first summit. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Do you know who this guy was?

onoda-young.jpg

56 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

* No nuclear tests for over a year and a half  (compare that to the amount of testing going on during the last two years of 44)

* No testing of ballistic missiles (two tests of artillery this year, both prompted by China/US trade spat)

* Remains of US soldiers continue to be returned

* Hostages freed

* South Korea and Japan have both called Trump the peace maker of the Peninsula 

Yeah... WHY CAN'T TRUMP DO MORE!?

I love ya, Plenz, seriously :beer: But you're trying to hard on this one. The only hitch left is China -- and I don't think it's a coincidence this meeting happened immediately on the heels of Trump's/Xi's bilateral meeting at the G-20. China's not going to let the DPRK go until they get a deal they can live with on trade. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, KRC said:

I don't remember anyone here stating that NK was nuke free after the first summit. 

If you could go back to that thread..( i cant seem to find it), you will see plenty of folks on here accepting Trumps"Nuke Free" statement as gospel...if someone has better search skills on here bring that thread up now would be fantastic

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

i get that the tests have stopped..and am happy for that. But even considering that, do you believe North Korea is somehow a lesser threat than it was 24 months ago? I mean Chamberlain had some great meetings with evil people too

Would you feel better about Trump's diplomatic efforts if it involved pallets of unmarked foreign currency?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

If you watch the roundtable shows on TV which are inhabited by leftists plenzmd1's statement is the stock counter to Trump's interaction with Lil Kim.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

* No nuclear tests for over a year and a half  (compare that to the amount of testing going on during the last two years of 44)

* No testing of ballistic missiles (two tests of artillery this year, both prompted by China/US trade spat)

* Remains of US soldiers continue to be returned

* Hostages freed

* South Korea and Japan have both called Trump the peace maker of the Peninsula 

Yeah... WHY CAN'T TRUMP DO MORE!?

I love ya, Plenz, seriously :beer: But you're trying to hard on this one. The only hitch left is China -- and I don't think it's a coincidence this meeting happened immediately on the heels of Trump's/Xi's bilateral meeting at the G-20. China's not going to let the DPRK go until they get a deal they can live with on trade. 

I was reacting to the post of "Peacemaker in Chief"...do you really believe the threat of the NK nuke progrtam has been reduced by a significant amount?

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

Would you feel better about Trump's diplomatic efforts if it involved pallets of unmarked foreign currency?

I will never understand why Trump and Trump policy's cannot stand on their own merit...

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

I was reacting to the post of "Peacemaker in Chief"...do you really believe the threat of the NK nuke progrtam has been reduced by a significant amount?

Yes. 

You're watching a movie on delay. That's what you have to wrap your head around. 

The DPRK was a controlled state. Controlled largely by two factions -- corrupt elements of the USIC and elements of the Chinese Communist party and their OC. The USIC assets have been cut out (look at Kim's brother, look at Eric Schmidt's visit to install an internet for them and remember who funded Google from the start). China has not let go of the DPRK in the same way the USIC has -- yet -- because they are dangling them as a bartering chip for trade talks. 

If you don't think there has been a change, why do you think Moon and Abe are signing Kim's praises? Do you think they're Trump lackeys? 

D-SgHaAWkAEmOKt.jpg

That look :lol: 

• Like (+1) 3

NO!!!?

BTW, can you do that search to get us back in time to the thread on first summit?

You honestly believe there was less of a threat to world stability when Kim was setting off nukes every other day (300+ tests in the last year of 44 alone), threatening Seoul on a near daily basis and it's 20m population, and firing missiles at Japan -- than there is today when he's actively trying a diplomatic tact, something no one in his family has dared try before to this degree?  

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

BTW, can you do that search to get us back in time to the thread on first summit?

You want the NK War thread. 

And you're referencing people who said the deal was done (me). Which it has been. You're on delay.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You honestly believe there was less of a threat to world stability when Kim was setting off nukes every other day (300+ tests in the last year of 44 alone), threatening Seoul on a near daily basis and it's 20m population, and firing missiles at Japan -- than there is today when he's actively trying a diplomatic tact, something no one in his family has dared try before to this degree?  

You want the NK War thread. 

And you're referencing people who said the deal was done (me). Which it has been. You're on delay.

i dont believe there is more threat today, i believe though it is damn near equal threat.

Not sure what your last statement means..the thread was about the first summit in Singapore..and especially Trumps proclomatio that NK was moving forward no longer a nuclear threat,,there was some people drinking the koolaid pretty hard in that thread

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

i dont believe there is more threat today, i believe though it is damn near equal threat.

How do you square that? 

It's equal threat that the DPRK is no longer testing missiles, provoking their southern neighbors, taking hostages, and flinging missiles at Japan? 

How do you get there? 

Isn't it possible you're being blinded by your (perfectly fine opinion to hold) anti-Trump stance?

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Not sure what your last statement means..the thread was about the first summit in Singapore..and especially Trumps proclomatio that NK was moving forward no longer a nuclear threat,,there was some people drinking the koolaid pretty hard in that thread

That thread had the stuff you're looking for. The search function on this site is darn near unusable for me -- but knowing the thread helps. I was just trying to help you out :beer: 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I remember a general consensus from anyone not a flaming liberal that it was a good thing, but wasn't anything remotely similar to a sure thing. Sorta like it was a start, but I'll believe it when I see it. In other words, encouraged but skeptical.

• Like (+1) 3