The 12 Best Coaching Candidates...what about Dave Toub?

Rubes

The 12 best NFL coaching candidates, and the one that teams are too scared to hire

Yes, I know...it's LaConjecture. But Toub is an amazing special teams coach, and some of the great things other NFL people have to say about him would make me interested in giving him a shot if Rex is canned. Here's a guy who can come in and hire good OC and DC people without being a specific "offensive" or "defensive" guy taking over one side of the ball.

Fire away.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 12 best NFL coaching candidates, and the one that teams are too scared to hire

Yes, I know...it's LaConjecture. But Toub is an amazing special teams coach, and some of the great things other NFL people have to say about him would make me interested in giving him a shot if Rex is canned. Here's a guy who can come in and hire good OC and DC people without being a specific "offensive" or "defensive" guy taking over one side of the ball.

Fire away.

Interesting idea. Most HCs are either the de facto OC or the de facto DC. A football guy like Toub with reputedly good leadership skills could hold his OC and DC accountable for their results. A typical HC isn't usually good at holding himself accountable in his coordinator role.

Fire away.

Marv was a Special Teams guy....

Fire away.

Sounds good to me;

"A personnel exec who used to work with Toub, 54, said: "If Dave Toub can't get a job in this league, then I give up. Talk to other coaches in the league. They know who is for real and who is horseshit or the flavor of the month. This guy can coach a football team. He'd be the first guy I'd talk to, and it isn't even really close."

It just seems to me like he'd be the kind of head coach that I would want for my team...a guy who is extremely well respected by players and coaches around the league, an inspiring leader who isn't wedded to a particular offensive or defensive system, a guy who isn't necessarily going to bring a group of cronies with him. He can hire guys for the offense and defense and let them do their jobs, and hold them accountable if they're not producing. A guy who could get out of the way, yet still be someone players look up to and want to play for.

Personally I would rather we didn't blow things up yet again, but if we did, this is the kind of guy I'd like to see.

Sounds good to me;

"A personnel exec who used to work with Toub, 54, said: "If Dave Toub can't get a job in this league, then I give up. Talk to other coaches in the league. They know who is for real and who is horseshit or the flavor of the month. This guy can coach a football team. He'd be the first guy I'd talk to, and it isn't even really close."

Special teams coaches are so often over looked. These guys make perfect sense as they don't bring an ego into one side of the ball. Look at what Rex did to a great defense here in just 2 years.

Rubes - interesting article. Josh McDaniel is intriguing. Lots of HC over history are better their second time around. In retrospect, he was probably not ready at the time, but he's now been under one of the best coaches in history. I know Crennel didn't succeed, but is a good coordinator.

I have no opinion on Toub, as I just don't know his body of work. I wouldn't summarily dismiss ST coaches. As a previous poster mentioned, John Harbaugh is a very good HC, and was ST.

It just seems to me like he'd be the kind of head coach that I would want for my team...a guy who is extremely well respected by players and coaches around the league, an inspiring leader who isn't wedded to a particular offensive or defensive system, a guy who isn't necessarily going to bring a group of cronies with him. He can hire guys for the offense and defense and let them do their jobs, and hold them accountable if they're not producing. A guy who could get out of the way, yet still be someone players look up to and want to play for.

Personally I would rather we didn't blow things up yet again, but if we did, this is the kind of guy I'd like to see.

Special teams coaches are so often over looked. These guys make perfect sense as they don't bring an ego into one side of the ball. Look at what Rex did to a great defense here in just 2 years.

Not to mention that most special teams coaches are used to getting the most out of the talent at hand, since they're typically working with backups, so I would hope he'd be looking for the same perspective in OC/DC. Certainly would beat a total tear down to implement yet another system.

Rubes - interesting article. Josh McDaniel is intriguing. Lots of HC over history are better their second time around. In retrospect, he was probably not ready at the time, but he's now been under one of the best coaches in history. I know Crennel didn't succeed, but is a good coordinator.

I have no opinion on Toub, as I just don't know his body of work. I wouldn't summarily dismiss ST coaches. As a previous poster mentioned, John Harbaugh is a very good HC, and was ST.

The thing I can't get past with McDaniel, though, is the whole Tebow fiasco. That, to me, took some serious bad judgment, the very type of bad judgment that you would try to avoid in your head coach.

Have never heard of Tuob. But the guy's resume is outstanding. Good point about special teams coaches being able to handle both sides of the ball. Seems like he'd also be able to put together a good coaching staff.

McDaniels is another one I'd love to have.

So Jim Bob Cooter isn't getting looks because of his name!? Owners are dumb.

Most of these candidates sound better than what we have.

He also has a couple arrests. They include one that I worry could become quite controversial if the national media got ahold of it. They did "disappear" from his record down in Tennessee (He did play ball at Tenneseee) but I think it could become something potentially distracting.

He also has a couple arrests. They include one that I worry could become quite controversial if the national media got ahold of it. They did "disappear" from his record down in Tennessee (He did play ball at Tenneseee) but I think it could become something potentially distracting.

Yikes. Just looked and you're not kidding. Rethinking how much I want him now.

What did he do?