Scathing Review of Doug Whaley - Buffalo News

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, we're not grinding an ax against the Pegula's or anything....... No...... Not at all. :rolleyes: Let it go Sullivan.

It's funny though, I can't recall a GM stepping in on behalf of a coach and pleading the coach's case. We also don't know what is said behind closed doors. We don't know what actually transpires behind the scenes. We don't know what has been said in face to face meetings or during phone conversations. We really don't know :censored: except what these reporters are leaking as supposed "legit" information. I don't think anything has been decided for certain as of yet. There may be thoughts and things being thrown around, but nothing definitive. I believe it the wheels won't truly be in motion until after the clock hits :00 in the 4th quarter of the Jets game. I still think no one is safe in the organization right now.

I don't think things are as bad as people are saying.

The team is 7-7, and 9-7 is still on the table. Without any real passing offense and a ton of injuries, including not getting much of anything out of the team's 1st and 2nd round picks.

Am I crazy? Why does anyone, let alone everyone, have to be fired?

Nobody is perfect. The Patriots blow a lot of draft picks but it doesn't matter because they pick up budget FA who fit their system and they have Brady, who never loses and never has a bad game. Ever.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Whaley's a clown. He only gets credit for all his scary-good personnel decisions because the bar was already so freaking low in Buffalo to begin with. If we had a real front office at any point since Donohoe, he would be recognized by fans for the amateur he is. His job should begin and end with scouting free agents.

If they are stupid enough to make Rex take the fall after we (i predict) go 9-7, I hope they enjoy the fan mutiny that follows.

Are the Pegulas really stupid enough to make the same mistake with the Bills that they did with Darcy and Lindy?

If so, I'm pretty sure I'll die without ever seeing a championship parade in Buffalo.

Shaking my freaking head.

Edited by jester43

Lindy needed to go, sadly. His time had passed here. Love the guy. Great coach. Maybe he'll come back when the team is ready to win a cup.

The mistake they made then was not canning Darcy right along with him.

This time around, I think you keep a 9-7 coach (assuming they get to 9-7). Even 8-8 both years should earn the coach year 3, IMO. He would be the best coach W/L wise we've had in 17 years.

Whaley couldn't get along with Marrone. Whaley supposedly cannot get along with Rex. I'm not saying he needs to be fired, but ownership might have to take a good long look at what is going on in the front office.

But you do not (IMO) fire a head coach with a winning or even 8-8 record after his 2nd year when he has no QB and you have not been to the playoffs for 17 years. It's plain stupid. It would be a joke.

I fear that they will just promote Lynn and Whaley will feel empowered to push him around since he won't have the reputation that Rex does or Russ Brandon in his corner like Marrone did.

Whaley's a clown. He only gets credit for all his scary-good personnel decisions because the bar was already so freaking low in Buffalo to begin with. If we had a real front office at any point since Donohoe, he would be recognized by fans for the amateur he is. His job should begin and end with scouting free agents.

If they are stupid enough to make Rex take the fall after we (i predict) go 9-7, I hope they enjoy the fan mutiny that follows.

Are the Pegulas really stupid enough to make the same mistake with the Bills that they did with Darcy and Lindy?

If so, I'm pretty sure I'll die without ever seeing a championship parade in Buffalo.

Yeah. Whaley only finds pro bowlers on the scrap pile and makes trades for them too. What a bum.

Meanwhile Rex doesn't know what to with those players.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Scouting and free agents ? like Lamer Alexander, Zack Brown, Corey Graham , John Miller, Ryan groy .....

You think Sully takes blood pressure meds or nah?

estrogen would be my bet. #justsaying

Just my opinion, but I honestly believe there is a good possibility that all this is really fabricated by the media. In the past, I really believed that RW allowed public opinion to influence his decisions. He always had to market the team and try to meet the demands of the customer. Its easy to stir up the mob when the team has been this bad, for this long. I wish I could be at the game to watch the pregame to see the interaction between Coach, GM and Owners. That would tell me everything I need to know. I found this quote interesting. "Maybe that's the grand plan here, to make Rex a sympathetic figure in case the Bills finish 9-7. Then they can go status quo and tell everyone it was the media's fault." almost sounds like the media is already making excuses if it was all fabricated. Time will tell.

I think Buffalo sports fans are so frustrated and bitter that they want to take all the years of losing out on Whaley and Rex, when the team is actually headed in the right direction finally.

yes. I get the 17 year narrative. If we can stop that and focus in the Pelgua years things will be a lot better. It is like blaming your new wife for things your ex wife did. two full years no worse then 500 . Is that great ? no . Is it better then the previous 15 years. hell yeah. Do you want to break it down like Cleveland ? boy that looks like fun ha

IF (and this is a big IF) Whaley truly did undermine Marrone (who Russ Brandon loved, especially because of the SU connection) and then undermined Rex, who the Pegulas loved and picked themselves, what is he going to do to Anthony Lynn when he is promoted to HC?

I agree if and it is a huge leap to get there . We have no idea who the source is . As Doug hasn't been here the entire 17 years and the dysfunction has , putting the blame at his door is a big stretch to me

Sully is Grimes from The Simpsons

well played

yes. I get the 17 year narrative. If we can stop that and focus in the Pelgua years things will be a lot better. It is like blaming your new wife for things your ex wife did. two full years no worse then 500 . Is that great ? no . Is it better then the previous 15 years. hell yeah. Do you want to break it down like Cleveland ? boy that looks like fun ha

This team was in really bad shape when the Pegulas took over. They have made a lot of behind the scenes upgrades. This is year 2. As you said, it's likely that both years will be 8-8 or better.

I just think there is more negativity and "fire the coach" sentiment than there ought to be. It doesn't make sense.

no . Is it better then the previous 15 years. hell yeah.

why you say that? Truly curious.

Beat bad teams, lose easily to good teams, mentally weak, between 6-9 wins, no playoffs, no high draft picks, no QB...what in the world is different?

In the drought, Bills have won less than 6 games 3 times...that's it

Edited by plenzmd1

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/20/whaley-fiddles-ryan-burns/

Buffalo News has been putting out some excellent articles the past several weeks about the Bills.

So let me get this straight:

1) the news media has manufactured a "time of Crisis" for Rex Ryan through "leaks" claiming he would be fired 2 games ago or fired after the season (when the first didn't go down as predicted)

2) said manufactured "time of Crisis" involving something that didn't happen (Ryan being fired 2 games ago) implicates Whaley as wanting this to happen or wanting a QB change

3) now Sullivan is complaining that Whaley is "fiddling while Rex burns" because Whaley refuses to show up on demand to address the "burning" crisis the media manufactured, during a season when GMs and scouts just may be busy traveling to different bowl games or at least watching copious film to decide where they want to go.

Somehow the phrase "a failure on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part" comes to mind.

If they hit on a QB this year or Jones turns out to be good everyone will love Whaley and Rex.

It's really that simple.

Better to lose games 35-31 with a QB who can routinely put up 300+ yards in the air and feel like you can go toe to toe with any team than to max out at 200 yards passing and when you're down 10 feel like the game is over.

Edited by TheFunPolice

I will not read the article, but if he is blasting Whaley for apparently undermining Rex...and most likely Marrone ....then I regretfully have to agree with him.

How bad is it in Buffalo sports when i have to agree with Sully :sick:

Why? What is your evidence that Whaley has done anything except try to provide the players Rex needs or wants, and before that the players Marrone needed and wanted, other than media "leaks"?

He may not always have succeeded, but it seems pretty clear that he's tried.

PS the "blasting" for undermining Rex in this article is that Whaley won't show up on demand to the media to respond to "leaked" media stories that Rex will be fired (or was fired 2 games ago). To which I say "why should he?"

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

So let me get this straight:

1) the news media has manufactured a "time of Crisis" for Rex Ryan through "leaks" claiming he would be fired 2 games ago or fired after the season (when the first didn't go down as predicted)

2) said manufactured "time of Crisis" involving something that didn't happen (Ryan being fired 2 games ago) implicates Whaley as wanting this to happen or wanting a QB change

3) now Sullivan is complaining that Whaley is "fiddling while Rex burns" because Whaley refuses to show up on demand to address the "burning" crisis the media manufactured, during a season when GMs and scouts just may be busy traveling to different bowl games or at least watching copious film to decide where they want to go.

Somehow the phrase "a failure on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part" comes to mind.

Oh man number 3 is the best. Sullivan and his gang start banging the Drum for Rex getting fired. Now he is lived over nobody defending him. Do they have an editor over there who can have them stay on the same narrative at least. They are by far the worst collection of sports journalist I have read.

The 8 and even 9 wins part is different.

8-9 wins without having a passing offense is not bad.

aghh..the "for Buffalo" again. 8-8 sucks.

.it absolutely the worst record..no high draft picks...no playoffs, public debates on which direction the ship be heading, the last two weeks....

I don't think Whaleys out in public because he doesn't know what the future holds for him or Rex.

They are waiting till the season ends.

I think Whaley is not out in public because he's doing his job, which at this time of year involves watching copious film of college games and taking in bowl games as the last chance to see these guys play with the teammates and systems they've learned and trained in. But that's just me.

Why? What is your evidence that Whaley has done anything except try to provide the players Rex needs or wants, and before that the players Marrone needed and wanted, other than media "leaks"?

PS the "blasting" for undermining Rex is that Whaley won't show up on demand to the media to respond to "leaked" media stories that Rex will be fired (or was fired 2 games ago). To which I say "why should he?"

Just starting to make sense to me that there is a leak, and a big one, over at 1BD.

We get the Marrone thing before his 2nd season( and i hated Marrone and did not connect till now) , now we get the Rex "Rex has the players, he can't coach" reports

Something smells there...and there has been one constant and one person who keeps saving his skin....

This team was in really bad shape when the Pegulas took over. They have made a lot of behind the scenes upgrades. This is year 2. As you said, it's likely that both years will be 8-8 or better.

I just think there is more negativity and "fire the coach" sentiment than there ought to be. It doesn't make sense.

I guess they think it gets them clicks. Plus it is not hard to get us the fans fired up after 17 years. Time for everyone to take a deep breath and think of things as the Pelgua era . First two years have not been amazing but they are far from a disaster. Rex will never be Bill Walsh but he ain;t Rick kottie either. Let's just see what happens over the next 12 months.

why you say that? Truly curious.

Beat bad teams, lose easily to good teams, mentally weak, between 6-9 wins, no playoffs, no high draft picks, no QB...what in the world is different?

In the drought, Bills have won less than 6 games 3 times...that's it

I have seen a difference. It reminds me of the 87 season when they had a loosing record but were in most of the games until the end. You knew then, they were just a play or two away from winning a lot more games. I think the same way now, they are close.

and a better de

Just starting to make sense to me that there is a leak, and a big one, over at 1BD.

We get the Marrone thing before his 2nd season( and i hated Marrone and did not connect till now) , now we get the Rex "Rex has the players, he can't coach" reports

Something smells there...and there has been one constant and one person who keeps saving his skin....

The thing is that it could easily be a disgruntled scout as easily as it could be Russ. That is the thing with sources. What we need is a Wiki leaks attack on the email server. ha

I have seen a difference. It reminds me of the 87 season when they had a loosing record but were in most of the games until the end. You knew then, they were just a play or two away from winning a lot more games. I think the same way now, they are close.

OKay,, i get that...but i don't have the same feeling. But then again, that 7-9 strike record was coming off back to back 2-14s followed by a 4 -12...7 wins was heaven back then!!! Oh man, i still remember that Philly loss.

The thing is that it could easily be a disgruntled scout as easily as it could be Russ. That is the thing with sources. What we need is a Wiki leaks attack on the email server. ha

That would be awesome!!!!! wonder what we have to pay some hacker to get to TPEGS and Whaleys mail.....

Do you all realize that the self-important tool who writes that uninformed garbage has virtually no idea what is actually happening on a football field? I have literally coached middle school kids who have a superior understanding of this game than that guy does.

In addition he also has no real idea what is going on in the front office because nobody there has any respect for him as a writer or as a person.

This board will likely have 100+ posts written this week that are more knowledgeable and insightful than anything you'll ever read from that clueless self-promoting blowhard.

Do you all realize that the self-important tool who writes that uninformed garbage has virtually no idea what is actually happening on a football field? I have literally coached middle school kids who have a superior understanding of this game than that guy does.

In addition he also has no real idea what is going on in the front office because nobody there has any respect for him as a writer or as a person.

This board will likely have 100+ posts written this week that are more knowledgeable and insightful than anything you'll ever read from that clueless self-promoting blowhard.

Sully = last guy picked in Gym