Taylor 12th in Total QBR through week 14...

Big Turk

If Lynn has his own offense (and he believes it's better) and he is not implementing it, he should be fired right now. If you believe next year Lynn will make whole sale changes to the offense and it will allow Taylor to preform better and he is not doing it now? Then thanks a lot Lynn for not doing everything possible to help us win now.

The more logical reason is Taylor is not suited for any other offense than what they are running, and this offense is not good enough win in the NFL and therefore Taylor is not good enough.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Lynn has his own offense (and he believes it's better) and he is not implementing it, he should be fired right now. If you believe next year Lynn will make whole sale changes to the offense and it will allow Taylor to preform better and he is not doing it now? Then thanks a lot Lynn for not doing everything possible to help us win now.

The more logical reason is Taylor is not suited for any other offense than what they are running, and this offense is not good enough win in the NFL and therefore Taylor is not good enough.

Yeah being Top 10 in scoring isnt good enough to win. And to your next point we have yet to be in garbage time in our losses.Within a score and kicking off means no garbage time.

You can't install an entirely new offense once the season has begun. You would likely lose a few games early on to stupid mental mistakes because the players don't have the new system down well enough. If Bills had lost a few more games early on, Rex would have most likely already been fired and this season would have been a complete disaster.

But you can make adjustments and install a new play here and there. Don't know if they did any of that or not. By the sounds of it - I think they have thrown out some of Roman's plays (adjusted) but not added any new ones - at least they haven't said it if they did.

Nobody knows what Lynn's offense would/will look like. We can only guess. But we do know he is a run first guy like Roman and Rex. If you like that sort of thing, then maybe Lynn is your guy.

Edited by PolishDave

You can't just install a brand new offense in week 3 after installing one all offseason.

Interesting stats Polish Dave. I really don't want to see it all blown up again. Despite his shortcomings, without a couple crappy defensive performances against the jets and phins, the bills would make the playoffs.

I'd rather see them find a way to use TT as a transition until they hit on a draft pick. Starting over with some other re-tread will take them 3 steps back and none forward. I hate to say it, but give it all one more year...

My view is the offensive approach has limited the passing game by definition. Roman's offenses have always been bottom 5 in passing yards.. so not sure most of this is not on the scheme and less on the QB. TT is not Jim Kelly I get it, but ditching Rex for A Lynn probably fixes both the offense and the defense without blowing everything up. right?

My view is the offensive approach has limited the passing game by definition. Roman's offenses have always been bottom 5 in passing yards.. so not sure most of this is not on the scheme and less on the QB. TT is not Jim Kelly I get it, but ditching Rex for A Lynn probably fixes both the offense and the defense without blowing everything up. right?

What makes you think an offense designed by Lynn is going to be much different than Roman or head coached differently than Rex? Just because he is a different dude? He is still a ground and pound guy. Isn't he? And Rex didn't hire him because Lynn thinks so much differently than Rex. Do you think?

The QBR is not a good measurement. NFL.com stats has Taylor rated 30th. While many want Taylor gone think ahead. You are looking at a schedule that is not going to be at all easy. With Taylor, the offense will be competitive. Since Roman left, the offense has done well. The passing game needs an up grade. Getting the Watkins and the others healthy is a step in the right direction. Add another WR in the draft will help. If you dump Taylor, you can bring in a veteran stop gap type QB. Draft a QB to groom and compete with Cardale Jones. Or start a rookie and take a beating in the standings thus enduring a high draft pick. The team might be in the playoffs in three years. No easy answer.

QBR is indeed flawed. But so is the old-fashioned passer rating system used by NFL.com and other sites. Passer rating doesn't account for plays a QB makes with his legs.

Maybe, as a rough estimate, you put the two ratings together. TT is rated 30th in one and 12th in the other. Combine them and he's 21st - that sounds about right.

I'd like to see a stat that measures how many yards a QB produces - on average - each time he drops back to throw. This would include completed passes, incomplete passes, sacks, and scrambles/runs.

Yes because the better option is to inhibit the offense by using a plan that got the first OC fired. Nope I'm sorry he had 13 weeks to morph this offense into his offense which includes the bye week and nothing has changed. It looks the same as when he started.

QBR is indeed flawed. But so is the old-fashioned passer rating system used by NFL.com and other sites. Passer rating doesn't account for plays a QB makes with his legs.

Maybe, as a rough estimate, you put the two ratings together. TT is rated 30th in one and 12th in the other. Combine them and he's 21st - that sounds about right.

I'd like to see a stat that measures how many yards a QB produces - on average - each time he drops back to throw. This would include completed passes, incomplete passes, sacks, and scrambles/runs.

The only place I can find on NFL.com where Tyrod is ranked 30th is if you look at passer ratings here.

And that 30th ranking is out of 63 because that list includes all QB's that have thrown passes in 2016 including backups. So that puts Taylor just above average.

Most people reading this discussion probably think he is ranked 30 out of 32 which he is not. He is ranked 30 out of 63. Big difference there.

I know it is not your stat. It is Nitro's. Just wanted to be clear. If I am not looking at the right ranking chart, please let me know. That is all I found.

If you look at how the Bills are ranked in passer rating compared to other NFL teams then Tyrod is ranked 21 - and that seems a lot more accurate doesn't it?

You ended up with the right answer anyway! :thumbsup:

Edited by PolishDave

You can't know why without knowing exactly what the play is and how Tyrod is being told to execute it. And NOBODY here knows that.

If the coaches thought he was not executing the plays as they are called, then I think they would have sat him (at least for part of a game) and let EJ try to do it. They haven't done that which tells me that they think Tyrod is doing at least okay in what those plays are designed to do.

Fans imagine that every NFL passing play is executed like backyard football where the QB drops back and surveys every receiver and chucks the ball to the most open guy. That isn't how it works. That only happens when there is a broken play. And once a play is broken, you can't expect perfect execution. You can't expect a QB to see every open guy in a broken play. Usually the field is cut in half because the qb is out of the pocket and on the run.

It is entirely possible and even very likely - that the passing game is too complicated by design or just poorly designed. History suggests it is one of those two or possibly both.

No Roman offense has ever had an average or better passing attack.

You want a list? Here is a list of all the quarterbacks who couldn't get an effective passing attack going with Roman's offense:

Tyrod Taylor

EJ Manuel

Alex Smith

Colin Kaepernick

Colt McCoy

Blaine Gabbert

Troy Smith

Scott Tolzien

Josh Johnson

How many more quarterbacks do you want to rotate through a Roman system and watch fail as a passer before you shift your blame more towards the coach and the design of his system? He couldn't even get lucky and approach average with any of these guys.

If Roman was any good at all at designing a passing game, ANY good at all, don't you think he would have found a little success with at least one of those guys? His highest success in passing was getting to rank number 23 in the NFL. Dude's passing offenses fricken suck. It is irrefutable.

Yes they do think he is good. But because they believe it doesn't make it true

What makes you think an offense designed by Lynn is going to be much different than Roman or head coached differently than Rex? Just because he is a different dude? He is still a ground and pound guy. Isn't he? And Rex didn't hire him because Lynn thinks so much differently than Rex. Do you think?

Agree.

Lynn's background is in running the ball. He played running back. He's coached running backs. Running is pretty much all he knows. Unless he hires a passing game coordinator, I have trouble imagining Lynn developing a potent passing attack. It's just not in his DNA.

On the one hand, Roman's QBs are sometimes efficient but rarely highly productive. It's not a surprise that Tyrod isn't throwing for a lot of yards per game.

On the other hand, Tyrod has some obvious problems beyond scheme. It's not the fault of Roman's scheme when Tyrod bails early or misses a wide open receiver.

None of us know what Lynn's scheme will look like if he's OC again next year. But, given his background, it will probably be run-heavy again.

The only place I can find on NFL.com where Tyrod is ranked 30th is if you look at passer ratings here.

And that 30th ranking is out of 63 because that list includes all QB's that have thrown passes in 2016 including backups. So that puts Taylor just above average.

Most people reading this discussion probably think he is ranked 30 out of 32 which he is not. He is ranked 30 out of 63. Big difference there.

I know it is not your stat. It is Nitro's. Just wanted to be clear. If I am not looking at the right ranking chart, please let me know. That is all I found.

If you look at how the Bills are ranked in passer rating compared to other NFL teams then Tyrod is ranked 21 - and that seems a lot more accurate doesn't it?

You ended up with the right answer anyway! :thumbsup:

Why does Alex Smith, Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kaep all have very poor passing games without Roman's offense? I'll hang up and listen.

I think the stat you might like is Cold Hard Football Facts "real QBR" which "includes rushing attempts, rushing yards, rushing TDs, fumbles and sacks to produce a new kind of rating that measures a quarterback’s overall performance with the ball, not just as a passer when he actually releases the ball (which is all that passer rating currently measures)" but does not attempt to include all of the squishy "impact on the game" "score on that play relative to potential score" "clutch factor" cloud-of-unknowing stuff that ESPN roles into "total QBR" (in fact CHFF appears to have started their QBR as a reaction to ESPN's fol-der-ol)

Currently Buffalo (Taylor) ranks 15th by their metric, having moved up one slot after the Browns game. I think that's about right - not a train wreck, but not top-of-the-league - good enough to win some games with a stout defense.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Why does Alex Smith, Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kaep all have very poor passing games without Roman's offense? I'll hang up and listen.

Didn't know Alex Smith had a very poor passing game without Roman's offense. Since moving to KC, he's had 3 straight 3000+ yd seasons with an excellent TD/INT ratio of around 3, close to or above 7 AY/A, and looks poised for a 4th season almost that good (TD/INT "fallen off" to 2). I think if we had "very poor passing games" like that in B'lo for the last four years we'd be happier fans. (He's also shown some wheels before this year).

Blaine Gabbert was a spread-system QB who never should have been drafted in the 1st round. I think SF was hoping he'd be the next Alex Smith for them (QB where the lightbulb came on in his 6th season) but so far, no sign of that.

I have no idea what happened to Kaep. He looked as though he had something, they shipped Smith out of town, he fell apart.

So I went and checked TT stats on ESPN and this is what I noticed:

1. 28th in passing with no one behind him who has started every game for their team. NOT ONE!

2. Taking his rushing yard and TD and adding that to his passing yards and TD he moves up to 21 in total yards and 17 in touchdowns. (This is WITHOUT adding rushing yards TD for people behind him.)

3. He is also the most sacked QB in the league with 40!

So this tells me he is middle of the road for TDs and bottom 3rd for yards THIS YEAR and as a pure passer the stats say he is the WORST every day starter in the league THIS YEAR who also takes a lot of punishment back there.

Edited by PatsFanNH

Currently Buffalo (Taylor) ranks 15th by their metric, having moved up one slot after the Browns game. I think that's about right - not a train wreck, but not top-of-the-league - good enough to win some games with a stout defense.

With a stout defense he'd be good enough to win MANY games. I think the team has won 15 games in his starts over two years??

Well taylors job is to get out of the way of McCoy and Gillislee and not mess up. These 25+ points were manufactured by the run game. Taylor averages a td a game. Hardly the QB who carried the team in his back

Thank you

6 rushing. He BETTER have the most he is asked to throw too!!

I haven't been around here for a couple of days, and the same nonsense is still going on.

Tyrod has 20 TD's this season. McCoy has 13.

Tyrod has the same amount, or more TD's than:

Tannehill

Dalton

Russell Wilson

Siemian

Bradford

Osweiler

Kaep

Wentz

Alex Smith

Fitzpatrick

He is within 3 TD's or less of:

Flacco

Cam

Stafford

Carson Palmer

Tom Brady

I haven't been around here for a couple of days, and the same nonsense is still going on.

Tannehill

Dalton

Russell Wilson

Siemian

Bradford

Osweiler

Kaep

Wentz

Alex Smith

Fitzpatrick

Flacco

Cam

Stafford

Carson Palmer

Tom Brady

I stand by my stats before, in a pure passing he is the worst EVERY DAY starting QB, and is the bottom 3rd for yards even when adding his rushing yards.

As for TD he is middle of the road he be 20/21 with 20 TD's..

FACT is this YEAR he is a below average passer.

Also Blount has 15 TDs this year does that mean he has been better than McCoy? I mean he has more TDs.

Edited by PatsFanNH

Tannehill

Dalton

Russell Wilson

Siemian

Bradford

Osweiler

Kaep

Wentz

Alex Smith

Fitzpatrick

Holy crap...it's a who's who of average or overrated QB's. With the exception of Russell, and maybe Wentz there's hardly a QB on that list any team would pine over.

Flacco

Cam

Stafford

Carson Palmer

Tom Brady

What are you trying to say here? We should be impressed that in 4 more games than Brady, he still only has 3 less touchdowns than him? Absolutely pathetic the lengths we'll go to to pretend someone is something they're not.

The mere fact that this conversation is going on tells me he's not the answer, will never be the answer, and we'd be much better off continuing the search for the next guy.

Edited by fridge

Tannehill

Dalton

Russell Wilson

Siemian

Bradford

Osweiler

Kaep

Wentz

Alex Smith

Fitzpatrick

Flacco

Cam

Stafford

Carson Palmer

Tom Brady

Tannehill - who everyone says sucks. I think he is ok QB

Dalton - see Tannehill

Russell Wilson - hurt all year and having bad year

Siemian - has had 12 starts

Bradford - traded to new team this preseason

Osweiler - sucks

Kaep - sucks but has only started 9 games this year and still is only 1 TD pass behind Tyrod the great

Wentz - rookie and has only 1 less TD pass the our savior Tyrod

Alex Smith - jekyll and hyde guy

Fitzpatrick - having horrible year

So this is the list to compare the Great Tyrod with to justify his play and resigning him. OMG is CoT for real!

So I went and checked TT stats on ESPN and this is what I noticed:

1. 28th in passing with no one behind him who has started every game for their team. NOT ONE!

2. Taking his rushing yard and TD and adding that to his passing yards and TD he moves up to 21 in total yards and 17 in touchdowns. (This is WITHOUT adding rushing yards TD for people behind him.)

3. He is also the most sacked QB in the league with 40!

So this tells me he is middle of the road for TDs and bottom 3rd for yards THIS YEAR and as a pure passer the stats say he is the WORST every day starter in the league THIS YEAR who also takes a lot of punishment back there.

Where on ESPN are you getting your stats from? Link please.

What passing stat is he ranked 28th for?

Where on ESPN are you getting your stats from? Link please.

What passing stat is he ranked 28th for?

Total Yards he is 28th... with no one behind him started every game.

Www.espn.com/NFL/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingYards/YEAR/2016/seasontype/2

Hope the link works...

Edited by PatsFanNH

Holy crap...it's a who's who of average or overrated QB's. With the exception of Russell, and maybe Wentz there's hardly a QB on that list any team would pine over.

What are you trying to say here? We should be impressed that in 4 more games than Brady, he still only has 3 less touchdowns than him? Absolutely pathetic the lengths we'll go to to pretend someone is something they're not.

The mere fact that this conversation is going on tells me he's not the answer, will never be the answer, and we'd be much off continuing the search for the next guy.

Nice cherry pick job to discredit the poster you should be proud of yourself. Can you comment on the others mentioned with Brady that you conveniently ignored cause it didnt fit your agenda. Would you like any of them on your team? The means haters go to hate. Im sure you'll be rooting against the Bills this weekend cause it seems like you value looking right on some bulliten board over your teams winning. Sad really sad.

Nice cherry pick job to discredit the poster you should be proud of yourself. Can you comment on the others mentioned with Brady that you conveniently ignored cause it didnt fit your agenda. Would you like any of them on your team? The means haters go to hate. Im sure you'll be rooting against the Bills this weekend cause it seems like you value looking right on some bulliten board over your teams winning. Sad really sad.

Flaccid and Cam are way down this year and Palmer always been over rated and a TO machine. Last year was the exception.

I myself shocked about stafford, being that low but 1st year with no Megatron do that I guess.

Edited by PatsFanNH

Tannehill - who everyone says sucks. I think he is ok QB

Dalton - see Tannehill

Russell Wilson - hurt all year and having bad year

Siemian - has had 12 starts

Bradford - traded to new team this preseason

Osweiler - sucks

Kaep - sucks but has only started 9 games this year and still is only 1 TD pass behind Tyrod the great

Wentz - rookie and has only 1 less TD pass the our savior Tyrod

Alex Smith - jekyll and hyde guy

Fitzpatrick - having horrible year

So this is the list to compare the Great Tyrod with to justify his play and resigning him. OMG is CoT for real!

It's like arguing with a box of rocks.

How many starting QB's are there in the NFL? I just listed 15 QB's that he either has more TD's or is really damn close to, in direct response to the poster saying that Tyrod isn't carrying this offense at all. Well if Tyrod isn't carrying this offense, what are the other 15 QB's above doing?

Nobody is saying he's elite. Nobody. Nobody is saying he's even in the top 10. Nobody. What people like me are saying is that he's the perfect fit for this offense. An offense that ranks top 10 in scoring for two years running. Get over yourself with that CoT bull ****.

Edited by bobobonators

The QBR is not a good measurement. NFL.com stats has Taylor rated 30th. While many want Taylor gone think ahead. You are looking at a schedule that is not going to be at all easy. With Taylor, the offense will be competitive. Since Roman left, the offense has done well. The passing game needs an up grade. Getting the Watkins and the others healthy is a step in the right direction. Add another WR in the draft will help. If you dump Taylor, you can bring in a veteran stop gap type QB. Draft a QB to groom and compete with Cardale Jones. Or start a rookie and take a beating in the standings thus enduring a high draft pick. The team might be in the playoffs in three years. No easy answer.

Want to add on to what Polish Dave has already stated....

Tyrod is 21st by the old QB rating system ahead of Flacco, Cam, and Wentz

Combining the 2 would put him at 16/17th in the league

For all the moaning about his contract next year Buffalo will have the 20th most money tied up in the qb position in the league and TT cap hit will be the 20th highest in the league. About in line with his performance.

For some other information:

Tyrod is 25th in ypa (the most damning stat against him imo) ahead of Flacco and Wentz

Tyrod is 24th in completion % ahead of Cam and Jameis Winston

Wait a "cot member" ( :rolleyes: ) can post negative things too?! Before I posted those things I bet most of you bemoaning TT's year would take all 4 of those guys over TT. Tyrod is, from the numbers, outperforming Flacco, Cam, and Wentz this year.

Want to add on to what Polish Dave has already stated....

Tyrod is 21st by the old QB rating system ahead of Flacco, Cam, and Wentz

Combining the 2 would put him at 16/17th in the league

For all the moaning about his contract next year Buffalo will have the 20th most money tied up in the qb position in the league and TT cap hit will be the 20th highest in the league. About in line with his performance.

For some other information:

Tyrod is 25th in ypa (the most damning stat against him imo) ahead of Flacco and Wentz

Tyrod is 24th in completion % ahead of Cam and Jameis Winston

Wait a "cot member" ( :rolleyes: ) can post negative things too?! Before I posted those things I bet most of you bemoaning TT's year would take all 4 of those guys over TT. Tyrod is, from the numbers, outperforming Flacco, Cam, and Wentz this year.

Tyrod has plenty of flaws, just like the large majority of QB's in this league. People love to build straw man arguments that if you favor TT it's b/c you think he's the "savior" or that TT is the best QB in the NFL. No, he's not. Neither is Alex Smith and they're going to the playoffs, again.

Edited by bobobonators

Tyrod has plenty of flaws, just like the large majority of QB's in this league. People love to build straw man arguments that if you favor TT it's b/c you think he's the "savior" or that TT is the best QB in the NFL. No, he's not. Neither is Alex Smith and they're going to the playoffs, again.

I just want to say I'm happy you post here. We are in lockstep on Rex and Tyrod so you save me a lot of typing! :beer::worthy:

We should cut him now.

Didn't know Alex Smith had a very poor passing game without Roman's offense. Since moving to KC, he's had 3 straight 3000+ yd seasons with an excellent TD/INT ratio of around 3, close to or above 7 AY/A, and looks poised for a 4th season almost that good (TD/INT "fallen off" to 2). I think if we had "very poor passing games" like that in B'lo for the last four years we'd be happier fans. (He's also shown some wheels before this year).

Blaine Gabbert was a spread-system QB who never should have been drafted in the 1st round. I think SF was hoping he'd be the next Alex Smith for them (QB where the lightbulb came on in his 6th season) but so far, no sign of that.

I have no idea what happened to Kaep. He looked as though he had something, they shipped Smith out of town, he fell apart.

KC has had the 22nd, 30th and 28th ranked passing offense the last 3 years.

Roman has had bad QB's. He hides them.

It's like arguing with a box of rocks.

How many starting QB's are there in the NFL? I just listed 15 QB's that he either has more TD's or is really damn close to, in direct response to the poster saying that Tyrod isn't carrying this offense at all. Well if Tyrod isn't carrying this offense, what are the other 15 QB's above doing?

Nobody is saying he's elite. Nobody. Nobody is saying he's even in the top 10. Nobody. What people like me are saying is that he's the perfect fit for this offense. An offense that ranks top 10 in scoring for two years running. Get over yourself with that CoT bull ****.

Anything that is ranked last like the Bills passing attack doesn't have an internal component that is a perfect fit for it.

Got some water front property in Florida for sale you can skip your rocks in.

KC has had the 22nd, 30th and 28th ranked passing offense the last 3 years.

Roman has had bad QB's. He hides them.

Where? Under his pillow?

How is it so hard for you to understand? Kansas City has nothing to do with it. Roman wasn't the offensive coordinator there. You aren't very good at making points are you?

Roman doesn't like to throw the ball on offense compared to other coordinators. Roman likes to run the ball more often compared to other coordinators.

His quarterbacks (whoever it is at the time running Greg Roman's offense) throw fewer passes. Fewer passes = fewer yards passing. Go look at the stats FFS.

I'm pretty sure that is easy enough for even a 7 year old to understand. Why can't you?

This year the Buffalo Bills threw the ball fewer times than any other team in the NFL. No wonder they have the second fewest total passing yards.

You know which team threw the ball the most times? New Orleans You know who has the most passing yards? Drew Brees

The Bills offense is a run heavy offense. Roman's offenses have always been run heavy which is why his offenses have been consistently very high in total running yards while low in total passing yards. It doesn't matter who his quarterback has been. It has always been the same. If you think it is just because of his quarterbacks all 6 years, even when he went to the Superbowl, then you sir are just plain dense.

I can't make it any clearer than that.

Where? Under his pillow?

How is it so hard for you to understand? Kansas City has nothing to do with it. Roman wasn't the offensive coordinator there. You aren't very good at making points are you?

Roman doesn't like to throw the ball on offense compared to other coordinators. Roman likes to run the ball more often compared to other coordinators.

His quarterbacks (whoever it is at the time running Greg Roman's offense) throw fewer passes. Fewer passes = fewer yards passing. Go look at the stats FFS.

I'm pretty sure that is easy enough for even a 7 year old to understand. Why can't you?

This year the Buffalo Bills threw the ball fewer times than any other team in the NFL. No wonder they have the second fewest total passing yards.

You know which team threw the ball the most times? New Orleans You know who has the most passing yards? Drew Brees

The Bills offense is a run heavy offense. Roman's offenses have always been run heavy which is why his offenses have been consistently very high in total running yards while low in total passing yards. It doesn't matter who his quarterback has been. It has always been the same. If you think it is just because of his quarterbacks all 6 years, even when he went to the Superbowl, then you sir are just plain dense.

I can't make it any clearer than that.

Why is Alex Smith still always at the bottom of passing totals without Roman? That was the obvious point you missed.

Because all of his QB's suck at throwing the football. TT with a new coordinator? Still sucks. Kaep with a coordinator? Still sucks. Alex Smith with a new staff? Still bottom of the barrel in passing yards.

You really think its all a coincidence?

Edited by jmc12290

Anything that is ranked last like the Bills passing attack doesn't have an internal component that is a perfect fit for it.

Got some water front property in Florida for sale you can skip your rocks in.

Passing yards is such a crap stat

There are plenty of REAL crits of Tyrod's game for people to blindly parrot passing yardage. Get a better take.

Passing Yards is the only stat we are (were) ranked last in. Try understanding the stats you use to make arguments my friend.

You're right, my bad not last but damn near in

Comp - 31st

Att - 32

Comp% - 24

Yards - 31

TDs - 29

TD% - 22

Int - 5

Int% - 7

Y/A - 23

AY/A - 21

Y/C - 18

Y/G - 31

Rating - 21

Sacked - 31

NY/A - 26

ANY/A - 23

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/#all_passing

While not last awful damn poor and not nearly good enough. Where would this team be if the rush offense wasn't #1 by far.