Trade Talk

SectionC3

This is just spitballing. Whaley is a creative guy and, assuming he's around this February, maybe some conversations like this will occur within the "brain"trust at One Bills Drive.

Would you trade Tyrod for:

Kirk Cousins straight up (assuming, of course, that Washington would consider the idea after Cousins's recent slide)?

or

either Broncos QB?

I'm not a cousins fan, but I would do it. Siemian for me is a no absent a sweetener draft pick that Broncos would part with (assuming they are willing to take Tyrod on the first instance). Lynch ... is an interesting idea depending on how the Broncos/Elway/Kubiak feel about Tyrod.

Edited by BuffaloPowerEye

This is just spitballing. Whaley is a creative guy and, assuming he's around this February, maybe some conversations like this will occur within the "brain"trust at One Bills Drive.

Kirk Cousins straight up (assuming, of course, that Washington would consider the idea after Cousins's recent slide)?

or

either Broncos QB?

I'm not a cousins fan, but I would do it. Siemian for me is a no absent a sweetener draft pick that Broncos would part with (assuming they are willing to take Tyrod on the first instance). Lynch ... is an interesting idea depending on how the Broncos/Elway/Kubiak feel about Tyrod.

I would trade for Cousins in a heartbeat, but there is no way Washington will part with him for Tyrod. You would have to sweeten the pot.

Lynch was available when the Bills were on the clock this past year, so to me it's obvious our management/scouting staff didn't like him. Semian to me is just a guy, he might be better than Tyrod or he may not be but is hard to judge. Cousins is a good QB but the contract he'd command could hurt this team as Whaley/Overdorf have built this team around the not having to give QB franchise type money so if we add a Cousins it might have to lead letting go of a good defensive player (see Jerry Hughes) and not sure it's a wise thing to do so.

Personally I think the best thing we can do is find an offensive minded HC (Kyle Shanahan is near the top of my list) and a legitimate QB coach and let Tyrod go and sign someone like Hoyer and draft a QB early (see in Round 1 or 2) to compete with Cardale in 2017. Of course we'd also have to bring in a strong DC who favors the 4-3 defense.

or

either Broncos QB?

Kirk Cousins for Tyrod Taylor. I am guessing there would be multiple bottles of Tequila involved in order to get the Skins GM to sign up for this. One of these QBs has thrown for over 4000 yards each of the last two seasons and has made the playoffs last season and then other struggles to get to 200 yards in a game and will not be in the playoffs.

I like Cousins. I'd certainly consider that. Would the offense be better? My guess is the passing game would be better and the running game worse. Would that amount to more points? I have no idea.

I wouldn't trade Cardale for the Denver QBs. Lynch has upside but a low floor. Trevor Siemian's ceiling couldn't hold Bilbo Baggins.

If they are going to trade Tyrod, I'd take the draft pick. Bradford got a 1st and his offense doesn't move the ball like the Bills. I believe that you'd get a first (maybe Denver, Jets, Chicago, or Cleveland's 2nd 1st). SF, or Jax may trade their 2018 first which is a better option IMO. If you do any of these moves you will be in a worse place offensively in 2017 without question (with the possible exception of Cousins). If the thought is to take 2 steps back to take 3 steps forward then pillaging a bad teams 1st in 2018 (a good QB draft) may be the play. I'm just not sure I believe that's the best route.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I like Cousins. I'd certainly consider that. Would the offense be better? My guess is the passing game would be better and the running game worse. Would that amount to more points? I have no idea.

I wouldn't trade Cardale for the Denver QBs. Lynch has upside but a low floor. Trevor Siemian's ceiling couldn't hold Bilbo Baggins.

If they are going to trade Tyrod, I'd take the draft pick. Bradford got a 1st and his off new doesn't move the ball like the Bills. I believe that you'd get a first (maybe Denver, Jets, Chicago, or Cleveland's 2nd 1st). SF, or Jax may trade their 2018 first which is a better option IMO. If you do any of these moves you will be in a worse place offensively in 2017 without question (with the possible exception of Cousins). If the thought is to take 2 steps back to take 3 steps forward then pillaging a bad teams 1st in 2018 (a good QB draft) may be the play. I'm just not sure I believe that's the best route.

I think you're right about the value Tyrod would return. Ultimately I think Rex is toast. Pegula is a scientist by trade and probably a detail-oriented guy, and I suspect the disorganized nature of one of his highest-paid employees rubs him the wrong way. Assuming Rex is out, it seems logical to let the next coach make the call on Tyrod. Assuming the decision is to move on, I'd be surprised if the bills can't get something of value for him, and I think it makes sense to see if that value might be a qb that we like but that another team may have soured on,

• 2 months later...

Seems like the Siemian talk today might have made this relevant again. The idea of moving Tyrod and replacing him with Siemian has started to grow on me. The net gain in cap space could get us two to three more good players. It's worth considering.

Seems like the Siemian talk today might have made this relevant again. The idea of moving Tyrod and replacing him with Siemian has started to grow on me. The net gain in cap space could get us two to three more good players. It's worth considering.

I can't shake the feeling that Tyrod is going to Cleveland. Foles and Siemian would seem like a likely addition especially if Romo goes to Denver. Chase Daniels could also be a name to watch.

I can't shake the feeling that Tyrod is going to Cleveland. Foles and Siemian would seem like a likely addition especially if Romo goes to Denver. Chase Daniels could also be a name to watch.

Quick question. You know your business, and I respect your opinion. What is Tyrod's trade value? I ask because I'm intrigued by the idea of using a Tyrod /Siemian exchange to "jump" a round in the draft (e.g. trade Ty for a two and trade a three for Siemian) and applying the newfound cap space to obtain help at RT, S, LB, etc.

For what it's worth, my intuition is that you're on to something with Tyrod. I suspect the front office sees him as a viable "bridge"-type option, but not the preferred option for the next few years. If he was the guy, then it seems to me McDermott would have said as much at his recent media availability.

Edit: I'll add this: the though has crossed my mind that Whaley might be dangling pick 10 + Tyrod to climb way up the draft. Getting Siemian on the cheap might be a way to help make this happen. And it fits with the buzz that Whaley was looking to move up (albeit for a QB).

Edited by SectionC3

Quick question. You know your business, and I respect your opinion. What is Tyrod's trade value? I ask because I'm intrigued by the idea of using a Tyrod /Siemian exchange to "jump" a round in the draft (e.g. trade Ty for a two and trade a three for Siemian) and applying the newfound cap space to obtain help at RT, S, LB, etc.

For what it's worth, my intuition is that you're on to something with Tyrod. I suspect the front office sees him as a viable "bridge"-type option, but not the preferred option for the next few years. If he was the guy, then it seems to me McDermott would have said as much at his recent media availability.

I have no knowledge one way or the other, but the Browns aren't doing a very good job hiding their interest. I think Buffalo could fetch up to a conditional second for Tyrod. I think as it relates to Siemian, I could see it being player for player, like Cyrus possibly. Just spit balling. I honestly think the Bills want Romo but will settle.

I have no knowledge one way or the other, but the Browns aren't doing a very good job hiding their interest. I think Buffalo could fetch up to a conditional second for Tyrod. I think as it relates to Siemian, I could see it being player for player, like Cyrus possibly. Just spit balling. I honestly think the Bills want Romo but will settle.

Cyrus for Siemian makes a ton of sense. I agree on romo - he makes us an instant contender for basically the same money as ty, and buys us a few years to identify the "next" guy.