The answer to RT - Cordy Glenn

Dragonborn10

You guys live in a by gone era. The difference between LT and RT is meaningless in protection and how defenses attack. Defenses attack the weakest part of the line and move their pass rushers around.

I don't think it will ever be completely meaningless. A qb can still see pressure coming from the right.

That said, I do agree that the level of importance between a LT and a RT is decreasing. It's a passing league and a team can't afford to have a RT who is just a run blocking bruiser and not agile.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it will ever be completely meaningless. A qb can still see pressure coming from the right.

That said, I do agree that the level of importance between a LT and a RT is decreasing. It's a passing league and a team can't afford to have a RT who is just a run blocking bruiser and not agile.

I definitely agree that OTs are much differently built nowadays. Teams do flip their pass rushers all the time to take advantage of weaknesses in the oline, so you can't just hide a guy at RT.

It'd probably only be financially viable for 2017 though. CK is a FA after 2017 and would, presumably, want to be paid like a quality starting LT if he is one. I don't think the Bills can carry two OT contracts like Glenn's. If CK walks, then we are likely asking Glenn to come back to LT. Or would you look to pay CK, trade Glenn and find a new RT? It would depend on CK's level of play and the health of both. Still, it might be a good solution for 2017 while another OT is brought along for 2018.

point taken. Bills still need to replace Mills. When and how is open to discussion.

If Glenn needs to move over for one season, so be it.

My opinion has completely changed after Cordy go paid.

I am basing no hope on Hendy playing again. if so its a bonus.

Draft another and a find a new FA gem who can swing

Keep Glenn at LT.

Make a good "mix tape" of Cujo playing LT, trade him for a 2nd round pick, if you can't, keep him for depth.

Sign Andrew Withworth for the next two years to play RT, he is still balling at 35 years old.

Re-sign Mills for one year and draft a RT in 2018.

NO MORE MILLS !

But why move a borderline pro bowl player to a position they have never played? I always respect your position but that mentality is why Marrone had Pears playing G which killed his value.

lets please not revisit , moving Erik and sitting Kraig.

I went on a rant today at work about why i still loathe and hate Dougie stinkbottom Maroon

They won't get anything for Kujo in trade......he's unproven.......misses games to injury.......probably won't pass a physical for many teams.

But he fits here and if he fails Glenn can always be moved back.

I like Whitworth but the Bills probably don't have the cap room to spend on a RT this year. Kujo and Glenn are under contract.....no additional charge.

If Tyrod leaves I'd be more on board with spending on an OT because the OL will be exposed without him.

Glenn is really the only exceptional all-around OL the Bills have........the rest are turnstiles in pass pro.....propped up by the defense having to play contain in the run game.

A statuesque QB better have a Philip Rivers-esque quickness and bravado to survive behind these run blockers.

you have no love for Cogs ? For shame..

point taken. Bills still need to replace Mills. When and how is open to discussion.

If Glenn needs to move over for one season, so be it.

My opinion has completely changed after Cordy go paid.

I am basing no hope on Hendy playing again. if so its a bonus.

Draft another and a find a new FA gem who can swing

NO MORE MILLS !

lets please not revisit , moving Erik and sitting Kraig.

I went on a rant today at work about why i still loathe and hate Dougie stinkbottom Maroon

Sounds good to me. And, yeah, Cogs is a beast. The Bills ran behind him in several important situations on Sunday.

There's no reason not to move Cordy to RT if he can handle it.

The only reason he wouldn't move is because he wants to get paid like a LT, which he's already done.

If it gets your best 5 on the field, do it.

If CK is one of the best 5 next season , not good on our part.

I saw a glimpse of life with this OL without Roman's rushing attack and Tyrod running it during the preseason in 2015.

Roman didn't want to show his hand so they were just zone blocking and in what was basically a Marrone-esque rush offense Incognito and Wood were turnstiles.

The upside was their failed blocking lead to some gaping holes that Tyrod exploited on his way to winning the starting QB job.

The scheme and the ultra-mobile QB has really made this OL look much better than it is.

How about this.

Keep a top end LT at LT and draft or sign a RT. Easy

At the expense of what positions?

You want to use a first or second round pick on a RT?

Then very likely have to wait 2-3 years for them to play at a level above liability?

The Bills already invested a second round pick in Kujo.......with all the free agents the Bills have they are going to need some reserves to step up. He is at the top of the list.

Then very likely have to wait 2-3 years for them to play at a level above liability?

The Bills already invested a second round pick in Kujo.......with all the free agents the Bills have they are going to need some reserves to step up. He is at the top of the list.

Fine so move your top end LT to a position that he doesn't play because your 2nd round pick can't play RT.

Better idea deal CJ then and get another pick. But no like I said wouldn't be a season if there wasn't a Move Glenn to OG or RT thread.

The only correct answer is "start Kujo at RT again and see if he's improved." If he hasn't, you put Mills back in at RT and have Kujo just backup Cordy.

So you pay Mills give or take $5M per year for 3-4 years to retain him in the event that you need him?

It may be hard to believe someone would pay mid-level RT money to what we perceive as a bad RT.......but it seems like there is always someone dumb enough to pay one of the worst starters in the league.........the Bills paid Chris Williams simply because he was a proven starter. Proven AWFUL.......but proven.

Mills is durable and he's the starting RT on a team that probably leads the NFL in yards per rush to his side of the field. He's probably not going to fall back to Buffalo for $1M per.

How about this.

Keep a top end LT at LT and draft or sign a RT. Easy

I'd prefer that, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. You never know how the draft will fall and I'm not expecting the solution at RT to come in FA. The Bills might have to get creative.

So you pay Mills give or take $5M per year for 3-4 years to retain him in the event that you need him?

It may be hard to believe someone would pay mid-level RT money to what we perceive as a bad RT.......but it seems like there is always someone dumb enough to pay one of the worst starters in the league.........the Bills paid Chris Williams simply because he was a proven starter. Proven AWFUL.......but proven.

Mills is durable and he's the starting RT on a team that probably leads the NFL in yards per rush to his side of the field. He's probably not going to fall back to Buffalo for $1M per.

No, I meant play Kujo during the last 2 games and if he can't hack it, put Mills back in. Then over the off-season find a good RT.

I really was against this upfront, but you have a great point right here...

If you are getting a 5 out of Cordy at LT, a 2 out of Mills at RT, a 4 out of Kujo at LT, and a 1 out of Kujo at RT, then simple comparative advantage says that if you move Kujo to RT, all you need to get out of Cordy at RT is a 3 to break even, but you'd more likely get a 4 or 5 out of him on the right. It's not the worst idea in the world.

I'll say again: there are only 2 reasons that a guy wouldn't play RT--(1) he wants to get paid like a LT, or (2) he can't play on that side (whether it's a physical limitation like his drive leg or he simply doesn't see the field as well from that perspective).

1 is not an issue with Glenn--he's already been paid, so if he can play RT better than Kouandjio can, then this is a no-brainer. Move Cordy to RT, play Cyrus at LT, and find a RT to develop during the 2017 season so that you can move Glenn back to LT in 2018 and play the new RT when Kouandjio leaves in FA (hopefully for LT money, which will then bring a high compensatory pick).

If you are getting a 5 out of Cordy at LT, a 2 out of Mills at RT, a 4 out of Kujo at LT, and a 1 out of Kujo at RT, then simple comparative advantage says that if you move Kujo to RT, all you need to get out of Cordy at RT is a 3 to break even, but you'd more likely get a 4 or 5 out of him on the right. It's not the worst idea in the world.

Yes and it's not unheard of for good teams to move their OL around in such a manner.

I'd also add this.........Whaley is HIGHLY invested in Kujo.

This pick, perhaps more than any, has really cast him in a bad light.

Bad knee, not great tape.......super highly recruited out of HS though........it seemed like a lazy evaluation.

To CK's credit he has worked hard to get to a level where he's not a liability out there....each offseason he has gone to OL school and worked to iron out his frankensteinish tendencies.

He could have taken it at half speed and washed out when he was playing absolutely dismal early in his career.

IMO the more authority Whaley has the more likely that both are on the field and that Kujo plays where he is most comfortable.

CK is fine at LT. Maybe the knee injury and inability to play on the right side is real. Regardless he has played well enough for me to move Glenn to RT and leave CK at LT. Mills would be perfectly fine coming back as a swing tackle but he may want starting RT money. I find it unlikely but teams overpay all the time. Glenn is already paid so he should not care which position he is playing.

CK held up pretty well against the Ravens in week 1 when Glenn went out .. and he was also very solid at LT in preseason. It is his natural position.. a position he played in college.

I would love to see the Bills experiment in training camp/ preseason Glenn at RT and CK at LT.

Also Glenn already got paid LT money.. so it's not like he'll take a future financial hit by moving to RT