Adam Schefter: Rex Ryan to be fired end of season

Yeezus

They've gotten their asses handed to them by every good team on the schedule. Coaching has nothing to do with that?

Again, the blueprint was to run the ball(which they do better then any team in the league) and score points while playing excellent defense. What happened to the defensive geniuses defense?

A bit of an overstatement don't you think.

We played toe to toe with the Seahawks until the final whistle.

We played the Raiders very tough for almost three quarters on the road. They may be the toughest team in the AFC. The wheels came off, but we showed we can play with them.

We lost to the Dolphins by 3 on the road in a game that we should have won.

I am disappointed in the season, but I am trying to see the forest from the trees.

If it were pretty much any coach (Rex or fill in the blank), I do not think that it is justified to fire a guy after just two seasons - especially under the circumstances. I also think it will be especially self defeating if you want to replace the guy with any quality coach in demand.

Just my two cents.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we can agree to disagree.

P.S. As I posted in another thread, Rex dinosaur defense is averaging about the same yards against as Schwartzy's modern 21st century defense.

Did the Eagles burn 3 rounds of draft picks on front 7 this ear with more to follow? What is their overall talent level?

Dude the scheme has been beaten like a rented mule. It's done.

Actually firing Rex would be the your definition of stupidity. Swapping coaches every couple of years had been the constant in the drought.

And, as Peter said, what quality coach will come here with no QB after we hired a respected coach and **** can him after 2 years? This after the coach before him quit after 2years.

If we go with your anti-stupidity plan, we will have had 4coaches in the last 6 years and 5 in the last 8. Sounds like more of the same to me.

Hiring bad coaches is the constant. Have any of them had success in the last decade?

Did the Eagles burn 3 rounds of draft picks on front 7 this ear with more to follow? What is their overall talent level?

The Eagles have got some pretty darn good players.

They also have not had the injuries and suspensions that we have had as far as I know.

Edited by Peter

A bit of an overstatement don't you think.

We played toe to toe with the Seahawks until the final whistle.

We played the Raiders very tough for almost three quarters on the road. They may be the toughest team in the AFC. The wheels came off, but we showed we can play with them.

We lost to the Dolphins by 3 on the road in a game that we should have won.

I am disappointed in the season, but I am trying to see the forest from the trees.

If it were pretty much any coach (Rex or fill in the blank), I do not think that it is justified to fire a guy after just two seasons - especially under the circumstances. I also think it will be especially self defeating if you want to replace the guy with any quality coach in demand.

Just my two cents.

I hate Rex (both personality and scheme), but I do appreciate your points and I'm trying to take the emotion out of my decision regarding what I want to happen. Now I'm wavering. Like the draft, recruiting coaches is a crap shoot.

(My kids would not believe I just typed those words!)

Philly is 5-9 with Schwartz defense. Rookie QB played tailed off and the team flamed out. Those 3 young men will be better next season. The Bills need new talent in the secondary and new DC.

The Raider game was over when the Bills still had the lead. It was awful. The bench looked defeated. No one took leadership and the defense proceeded to get steam rolled.

What are the pros in keeping Rex when his defense can't stop good offenses nor do they respond to adversity?

They stopped the Raiders for almost three quarters on the road. To me, that showed it can be done.

At some point, players have to tackle. Both the Raiders and Steelers games are good examples of this. It also would help if we did not have street free agents as safeties or if Ron Darby had played in the Raider game or if Kyle Williams had played in the Steeler game.

I hate Rex (both personality and scheme), but I do appreciate your points and I'm trying to take the emotion out of my decision regarding what I want to happen. Now I'm wavering. Like the draft, recruiting coaches is a crap shoot.

(My kids would not believe I just typed those words!)

Augie, I appreciate that. I really do.

Go Bills!

Edited by Peter

Philly is 5-9 with Schwartz defense. Rookie QB played tailed off and the team flamed out. Those 3 young men will be better next season. The Bills need new talent in the secondary and new DC.

Let us not be confused, if Rex is the HC, the DC is almost an irrelevant figurehead.

One thing I think we can agree on is that Rex's defensive scheme works when you have a Revis shutting down the other teams top WR. Like Dungy's Tampa two and Buddy Ryan's 46 defense, the scheme is not the star but the players. Put your guys in position to excel. Not the square peg/round hole mentality that hampers many coaches. Rex needs to bring in a new DC with his new perspective to take the Bills defense to the next level.

Let us not be confused, if Rex is the HC, the DC is almost an irrelevant figurehead.

That is why I said new DC. Rex needs to give up on that. Run the whole team and get out of the coordinator side of things.

If Rex's back, which I'm personally not in favor of cuz I was skeptical of the hire in the first place, it needs to be with the stipulation of firing his brother and revamping the defensive staff. While I'm not sold this would be the answer, I'm kinda curious what the D would look like with Pettine back as DC under Rex, with autonomy and an infusion of talent at safety.

One thing I think we can agree on is that Rex's defensive scheme works when you have a Revis shutting down the other teams top WR. Like Dungy's Tampa two and Buddy Ryan's 46 defense, the scheme is not the star but the players. Put your guys in position to excel. Not the square peg/round hole mentality that hampers many coaches. Rex needs to bring in a new DC with his new perspective to take the Bills defense to the next level.

That is why I said new DC. Rex needs to give up on that. Run the whole team and get out of the coordinator side of things.

If he could really do that......who knows? His players seem to like him past and present. (Yes, there are always exceptions.)

If he could really do that......who knows? His players seem to like him past and present. (Yes, there are always exceptions.)

This is his only option, IMO. The players do like him. I want the Bills to succeed. After 50 years of being a fan, I want a winner.

I suggested this last week. Gus Bradley is available ...

I'm guessing this will never, ever, ever, ever happen with Rex...He'd sooner chop a finger off then give up control of the Defense...I think hell freezing over is more likely...

And if he was forced to do so it would be disastrous...More disastrous than it already is...Rex's ego could never handle it and he would cause problems for the new guy...

I just really doubt this will happen... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS