In defense of Rex....

Webster Guy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After using the excuse that he tried to run a hybrid system last year, Ryan brought in his twin and Ed Reed and essentially proclaimed that if he's going down he's doing it his way. No excuses. He failed. The organizational embarrassment of having hired his clearly unqualified brother in the first place should be enough grounds to fire him, IMO. Losing sucks enough. Losing when your head coach is an utter embarrassment and buffoon can't be tolerated. Get him the hell out of here.

I think Rex should stay another season here's 5 reasons why:

1. Our defense did not get rolled these past few games because of coaching. We simply could not execute on the field. Bell was running through an 8 man front all day, what the hell do you expect the DC to do when his team can't tackle? Or what about the Jets, Raiders games when our cb's WITH safety help still can't physically cover their guys? Is a new head coach supposed to fix their technique?

2. We don't have a franchise qb. Look at the good playoff teams, they all have one. We took the best guy Whaley could find for Rex and surrounded him with a pretty good Oline and 2 great RB's but he didn't pan out. Not the head coaches fault. If you believe TT is not the answer, how can you possibly expect the coach to consistently win in this league with him at qb?

3. Making the change from Roman to Lynn took a lot of balls and showed me that Rex isn't afraid to

admit he was wrong and make a bold change at the top to better his team. This offseason Lynn can install his own system and get even better.

4. This is just a hunch, but I think Kyle Williams retires if we get another HC. The guy still is a force and we need him on this team, but at this point he's set for life financially, his family lives in the south, and there's a lot of wear and tear on the guy. If anyone could sell him on one more season it would be Rex, not some new guy who is going to "fix" everything with another new system.

5. I think Rex's history is decent considering he's had a bunch of .500 or better seasons with never having a franchise qb. Can you name any other coaches that played in a division with a perennially dominant team like the Pats that had playoff success without a top 10 qb? If you can't, then what do you really expect a new guy is going to do here that all the previous head coaches failed to do?

I think Pegula understands that a good year for a coach without a stud qb in this league is around .500 and he keeps Rex here for another season at least.

I also want Rex to stay for a lot of the reasons mentioned.

I also think that anyone replacement who is in demand would not look favorably on the Bills giving Rex only two years (really less if recent reports are to be believed) even though Rex has been undercut by player injuries, suspensions, Mario going on strike, and a QB with respect to whom other teams say their strategy is to stop the run and make him try to be a QB (not exactly a ringing endorsement and no wonder given the results of the passing game)

I also want Rex to stay for a lot of the reasons mentioned.

I also think that anyone replacement who is in demand would not look favorably on the Bills giving Rex only two years (really less if recent reports are to be believed) even though Rex has been undercut by player injuries, suspensions, Mario going on strike, and a QB with respect to whom other teams say their strategy is to stop the run and make him try to be a QB (not exactly a ringing endorsement and no wonder given the results of the passing game)

As with everything, there are political ramifications and I've seen little mention of this important aspect of the situation. However, money can right many negative perceptions that may be held by prospective coaching candidates. Given his handling of the Sabres, Pegula strikes me as patient, not given to impulse, so it won't surprise me if Ryan ends up staying for a third year. But these leaks are concerning and I don't think he can tolerate that. If Brandon is behind them (I suspect Berchtold), then I can see him being shown the door.

As with everything, there are political ramifications and I've seen little mention of this important aspect of the situation. However, money can right many negative perceptions that may be held by prospective coaching candidates. Given his handling of the Sabres, Pegula strikes me as patient, not given to impulse, so it won't surprise me if Ryan ends up staying for a third year. But these leaks are concerning and I don't think he can tolerate that. If Brandon is behind them (I suspect Berchtold), then I can see him being shown the door.

I agree.

I think the coaching world at large looks at the general state of the Bills and recognizes RR has really botched it. His reputation of tough defenses has fallen flat two years running. It'd be like hiring a hot shot OC with a reputation of being an offensive mastermind and his O stinks. You failed at the thing you were hired for.

Ryan coaches a complex defensive system. The decision makers assumed that our players would be able to transition well. They did not.

His nickel and dime defenses usually require 2 very good, instinctual safeties of which we have none. He regularly would play a 3 safety look on passing downs.

We were built as a 43 team. Even Mike Pettine played us mostly in a 43 Under front.

Also LB talent matters. They have gotten great production out of Zach Brown and Alexander, two veteran journeyman. IMO that's a credit to Ryan and the defensive staff. But we do not have a great talent at that position.

Safety play has been abysmal, as has any attempt to bring in talent at that position. In fact, they have brought in no one of real consequence at this position since Ryan was hired.

I think there are better HCs, but I don't think he his holding down our defensive talent.

I stated in my thread from last night a similar point, not so much about the safeties or linebackers but in general, outside of corner, Rex's scheme relies on heady players more than physically talented players. It's the kind of scheme that elevates the play of lesser talents but neutralizes the dominant ones. We were built to dominate physically and we are being asked to play a heady game that doesn't attack so much as bait the opposing team into making errors.

Well we agree on the leaks and rex should stay. Although I feel the leaks are russ. Berchtold is an interesting thought though. I think that because russ is marketing genius that has been in charge of ticket sales give him more motive to leak things. Get the fan base on board for a regime change. I will say that berchtold is an intriguing figure. I find it weird that he basically babysits all press conferences. But thats a whole other thread.

This coming from the same guy who has crusaded against Ryan's use of two-gap schemes so much in the past?

I believe the weather conditions favored the offense as slippery fields often do, but when you look at the tape, see how disinterested our players were when it came to sticking their noses in there to make a play. And then contrast that with the enthusiasm shown by the Steelers' D, especially Shazier, who couldn't wait to make a play. For example, Zach Brown's level of commitment was thoroughly exposed.

Really? Rex called the defensive plays in 2015 and Dennis Thurman is calling them this year.

Simply google 3/4 two-gap vs one-gap to comprehend the difference between the two schemes and then perhaps understand that Rex was completely foolish for utilizing the wrong scheme for most of 2015. There is literally no question as to which scheme he used the majority of the time in 2015 to be 31st in sacks. This fact was pointed out by an ex-NFL player.

Nor is it that difficult to understand that the defense has been using more of a one-gap scheme this season to be #5 in sacks this year. The Bills defense in as little as two weeks ago was #1 in sacks and had the leading sacker in Lorenzo Alexander who is now 6th.

The Bills want to stop the run they simply switch from the one-gap scheme to pass rush scheme to a two-gap scheme to stop the run and this makes it very difficult for any team to gain a lot of yards on the ground. Clearly, the Bills coaches were more intent on stopping Ben Rothlisberger all game then they were in stopping Le'Veon Bell. Big Ben was kinda shut down as he went 17 of 31 for 220 yards, 0 TDs and 3 INTs. Bell, on the other hand, had almost 300 yards of offense with his record setting 236 yards rushing, 62 yards receiving.

Granted, whoever let it slip to the media that Rex Ryan might be fired after this game if they are blown out by the Steelers might have influenced this game quite a bit. It sure impacted the Bills players as they seemed to lack any kind of fire that you would normally see in a team fighting for a playoff spot. And it may have influenced the Bills coaches to not allow the Steelers to get their potent passing game going in which they could easily roll up a big score.

I think Rex should stay another season here's 5 reasons why:

1. Our defense did not get rolled these past few games because of coaching. We simply could not execute on the field. Bell was running through an 8 man front all day, what the hell do you expect the DC to do when his team can't tackle? Or what about the Jets, Raiders games when our cb's WITH safety help still can't physically cover their guys? Is a new head coach supposed to fix their technique?

2. We don't have a franchise qb. Look at the good playoff teams, they all have one. We took the best guy Whaley could find for Rex and surrounded him with a pretty good Oline and 2 great RB's but he didn't pan out. Not the head coaches fault. If you believe TT is not the answer, how can you possibly expect the coach to consistently win in this league with him at qb?

3. Making the change from Roman to Lynn took a lot of balls and showed me that Rex isn't afraid to

admit he was wrong and make a bold change at the top to better his team. This offseason Lynn can install his own system and get even better.

4. This is just a hunch, but I think Kyle Williams retires if we get another HC. The guy still is a force and we need him on this team, but at this point he's set for life financially, his family lives in the south, and there's a lot of wear and tear on the guy. If anyone could sell him on one more season it would be Rex, not some new guy who is going to "fix" everything with another new system.

5. I think Rex's history is decent considering he's had a bunch of .500 or better seasons with never having a franchise qb. Can you name any other coaches that played in a division with a perennially dominant team like the Pats that had playoff success without a top 10 qb? If you can't, then what do you really expect a new guy is going to do here that all the previous head coaches failed to do?

I think Pegula understands that a good year for a coach without a stud qb in this league is around .500 and he keeps Rex here for another season at least.

1. It's about desire and readiness to play, and that's on the coach.

2. It's all Tyrod's fault, but you got 2 other QB's on the roster. It's on Rex for sticking with TT or not not walking into Whaley's office and demanding a better QB.

3. Agree with you on this, firing Roman took nad, and in hindsight, it was the right thing to do.

4. Bullsh, KW will retire a Bill, having never played for another team.

5. BS, the Hoodie owns Ryan.

Looking at all the evidence, there is no defending Ryan. He's supposed to be a defensive coach, but our defense has regressed. In 2015, he blamed it on Mario. So who's the malcontent this year? I've seen enough, but if Rex figures out a way to get to 8-8 or 9-7, it could be yet another year of playoff futility. I'll call my shot now. If Rex coaches the Bills in 2017, it'll be 18 and counting next December.

What makes this leak more interesting is that the Bills announced a 4:40 PC to say that Tyrod Taylor would remain the starting QB. But also at that time it was known that Kim Pegula would be on twitter talking to fans about Rex Ryan.

I suspect the Pegula's love the guy and have no desire to fire him just yet and someone wanted these owners to see what the fans were saying. Just some thoughts.

I used to pound the continuity drum. I just can't do it anymore.

I don't believe this is a great roster. But it's an average one. And with an average-ish head coach, we're getting average-ish results.

Give him a better roster, Rex will win more games. But he's not getting us to the Super Bowl. And that's the goal.

Best result is probably Rex and TT gone. Lynn as HC and a normal DC who plays modern 4-3 as we have the personnel to play it well. My guess is that will happen unless they win out. If the win out, maybe only TT goes. The stand up defense won't work well... teams just run straight at it

My primary issue right now is after watching two seasons of the little things (individual plays, decisions, drives, adjustments), and the big things (wins and losses), I don't think Rex is great at coaching in the 2016 NFL reality. I'm not interested in having someone who isn't great at coaching lead our team. Call it a carousel, but as soon as you identify that a player or a coach isn't good at what they do, you need to try to make a change and find someone for that role who is good at what they do.

Tyrod lost my faith by his inability to progress on his weak areas of finding the open receiver, throwing accurately, and using the middle of the field. He doesn't get five years to show us if he can or can't, and the sample is big enough that we can see he can't. Rex lost my faith in many ways over the last two seasons. Both get a year 1 pass and can raise red flags in their first year, but can't be fired. Year 2 is the burden on them to show important progress, and year three show real results. I don't see progress on the red flags raised last year, so you move on.

The Patriots did the same with seven head coaches in 21 seasons, and the only two who lasted more than three years won Coach of The Year in their first two years. The reason they have stability is that they found a great coach (and a great QB), not that they were patient in favor of stability.

Sticking with mediocrity is not a recipe for success as frustrating as blowing things up is. If you think Tyrod or Rex can really be great, then make a better case, and I could be wrong, but each have failed at the job they are supposed to do as clearly visible in the little things and the big things.

Here's a hypothetical:

The Seahawks have playmakers all over their defense--Sherman, Bennet, Wagner, Chancellor, Thomas.

We haven't had a single playmaker on defense since Rex took over.

If Pete and Rex switched rosters, do folks here honestly believe that the players mentioned above would slip into obscurity under Rex and that under Pete, equivalents to Sherman, Bennet, Wagner, Chancellor and Thomas would emerge?

I have my doubts.

I acknowledge that the right coach shouldn't have to have all-stars at every level of his defense. It just so happens that the best defenses typically do.

Here's a hypothetical:

The Seahawks have playmakers all over their defense--Sherman, Bennet, Wagner, Chancellor, Thomas.

If Pete and Rex switched rosters, do folks here honestly believe that the players mentioned above would slip into obscurity under Rex and that under Pete, equivalents to Sherman, Bennet, Wagner, Chancellor and Thomas would emerge?

I have my doubts.

I acknowledge that the right coach shouldn't have to have all-stars at every level of his defense. It just so happens that the best defenses typically do.

Give me a break. Rex inherited an awesome defense and ruined it.

He would ruin the Seahawks defense too. Bank on it.

Here's a hypothetical:

I have my doubts.

There you are!