• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Russian Meddling Did Not Taint the Election

by Ramesh Ponneru

FTA:

It is certainly true, as many conservatives have noted, that Hillary Clinton could still have won the election if she had made different decisions, such as showing up in Wisconsin, refraining from setting up her own e-mail server, and so on. But it seems likely that if everything about the election had been the same except for Russian interference, Clinton’s lackluster campaign would have narrowly won those states.

If so, Russia has surreptitiously intervened in our affairs more successfully than any other foreign power has ever done. Its work should be investigated and, if necessary and feasible, punished. Statesmanship sometimes requires monumental ingratitude, and Trump will have a chance to exhibit it.

Does Russian involvement mean “this was a tainted election” with a result that was “illegitimate in important ways,” as Paul Krugman charges? In a country premised on rule by popular consent, whether an election or for that matter a government is legitimate depends on whether the public thinks it is. If the Electoral College were now to vote for Hillary Clinton, for example, tens of millions of Americans would consider it illegitimate even though the Constitution clearly allows for it.

But I think there are good reasons for voters, including voters who did not support Trump, to reject Krugman’s view.

The form that Russian interference took is foremost among them. It didn’t hack voting machines so that citizen preferences would be miscounted. It didn’t even inject misinformation into the public debate. What it mainly seems to have done is put accurate but wrongfully obtained information into circulation: information about what various Clinton aides and Democratic National Committee officials were thinking during the primaries.

Voters were free to consider this information, or not, and to take account of its illicit origins. At the time, they had good reason to know that Russia had a hand in its dissemination. Russian hacking came up in two of the presidential debates (even though Trump now bizarrely insists it didn’t).

Again, Russia’s interference ought to be investigated -- as should U.S. cybersecurity practices, and President Barack Obama’s dithering in response to the interference. Americans should be able to agree on the need for further investigation regardless of their sympathies in this election.

Clinton’s supporters, meanwhile, can’t be faulted for regretting the choices that an electoral majority of their fellow citizens made. But the voters had access to the information they needed to put the leaks about the Democrats in context, their choice was made freely, their choices were tabulated accurately, and the result is being decided in the standard way.

Like it or not, Trump was elected legitimately.

Edited by B-Man

The form that Russian interference took is foremost among them. It didn’t hack voting machines so that citizen preferences would be miscounted. It didn’t even inject misinformation into the public debate. What it mainly seems to have done is put accurate but wrongfully obtained information into circulation:

That's my favorite part of this whole thing. "You can't share the truth with voters! That's cheating!"

Edited by DC Tom

I see Trumps family sat in with him on the tech CEO meeting. His family that runs his businesses. This guys only goal is to be the richest man in the world.

His bully pulpit criticisms of Boeing and Lockheed Martin were probably nothing more that stock manipulation moves.

I see Trumps family sat in with him on the tech CEO meeting. His family that runs his businesses. This guys only goal is to be the richest man in the world.

His bully pulpit criticisms of Boeing and Lockheed Martin were probably nothing more that stock manipulation moves.

You're an idiot.

Created by DC Tom-bot, beta version 0.1.

• 4 weeks later...

Back to the thread....................

Department of Homeland Security Chief: No Evidence That Hacking by Any Actor Altered the Ballot Count’

What’s a little fake news to overturn an election among friends of the Left?

No one is saying that except Trump and the Putin paid internet trolls. Putin used hacks--theft--propaganda, targeted leaks, paid internet trolls!! and other devious and illegal means to get Trump elected.

From the Times:

Broad Effort Seen to Sow Distrust in U.S. Democratic System

By MICHAEL D. SHEAR and DAVID E. SANGER

American intelligence officials have concluded that Russia’s president, Vladimir V. Putin, “ordered an influence campaign in 2016 aimed at the U.S. presidential election.”

The declassified intelligence report found that Mr. Putin developed “a clear preference for President-elect Trump.”

What did Trump know and when did he know it?

My sister's 4 year old grand-daughter could hack Podesta's and the DNC's servers with high security passwords like "password".The fault for exposing the left's lies is solely on themselves.

Edited by Wacka

Today’s Intelligence Report Proves Nothing

Today the U.S. intelligence community–i.e., the CIA, the FBI and the NSA–released a report titled “Assessing Russian Activities and Intentions in Recent US Elections.” This is the declassified version of a longer report that was delivered to President Obama, President-Elect Trump, and indirectly to the Washington Post and other news organs friendly to the Democratic Party. The report constitutes, allegedly, the long-awaited proof that Russia (specifically, Vladimir Putin) meddled in the 2016 presidential election by, most notably, hacking into email accounts of the Democratic National Committee and Hillary Clinton campaign manager John Podesta and distributing emails from those accounts to Wikileaks and others.

Does the report prove that claim? No, it merely states it. There is zero evidence in the report tying the Russian government (or anyone else) to the crude spearfishing effort or to the generic, out-of-date malware that invaded the DNC’s and Podesta’s email systems. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

Weirdly, today’s report never mentions the one the same agencies (apparently) released eight days ago. That report did purport to contain evidence of Russia’s involvement in the email intrusions, but, as we and many others pointed out, that supposed evidence was essentially meaningless.

{snip}

Today’s report is, as noted, remarkably brief. The longest portion of the report, at seven pages, is Annex 1, titled “Russia — Kremlin’s TV Seeks To Influence Politics, Fuel Discontent in US.” Annex 1 is devoted entirely to RT America TV, which the agencies deem a propaganda outlet of the Russian government. Given that this annex comprises the largest portion of the report, it is stunning to see this footnote:

This annex was originally published on 11 December 2012 by the Open Source Center, now the Open Source Enterprise.

So the CIA, FBI and NSA are so lacking in relevant, probative intelligence that the largest portion of today’s report is a recycling of four-year-old, public domain information on Russia Today.

In short, it is possible that the Russian government gained access to the DNC’s and Podesta’s email accounts by spearfishing, downloaded emails from those accounts, and provided them to Wikileaks. But we have to take the bureaucrats’ word for it. Neither last week’s report (which at least tried) nor today’s (which doesn’t try at all) contains any evidence that would make that claim more than mere assertion.

It's incredibly awesome that Clinton's illegal use of personal email to perform her government duties and the Democratic party's "poo pooing" of the issue are gigantic reasons why she's not the President of the United States.

She always has someone to blame for her inability to win a national election. Liberals continue to get hammered because they refuse to hold anyone accountable for their actions.

Poetic justice...

It's incredibly awesome that Clinton's illegal use of personal email to perform her government duties and the Democratic party's "poo pooing" of the issue are gigantic reasons why she's not the President of the United States.

She always has someone to blame for her inability to win a national election. Liberals continue to get hammered because they refuse to hold anyone accountable for their actions.

Poetic justice...

Like how Trump has been held accountable for setting up a fraudulent enterprise in Trump University? Come on, stop kidding yourself. I get Hillary isn't a great politician, running with the weight on incumbency, the FBI's never ceasing investigation of no crime, Putin interfereing in the election by stealing emails and she still got three million more votes almost.

She is a terrible fake populist for sure, while Trump, for all his lunacy, seems to fire up the rabble. I sure hope he is a decent president no not as big of a disaster as Bush, but we shall see.

Like how Trump has been held accountable for setting up a fraudulent enterprise in Trump University? Come on, stop kidding yourself. I get Hillary isn't a great politician, running with the weight on incumbency, the FBI's never ceasing investigation of no crime, Putin interfereing in the election by stealing emails and she still got three million more votes almost.

She is a terrible fake populist for sure, while Trump, for all his lunacy, seems to fire up the rabble. I sure hope he is a decent president no not as big of a disaster as Bush, but we shall see.

[This is an automated response.]

You're an idiot.

Created by DC Tom-bot, beta version 0.4.

She is a terrible fake populist for sure, while Trump, for all his lunacy, seems to fire up the rabble deplorables. I sure hope he is a decent president no not as big of a disaster as Bush, but we shall see.

A couple a' things: (1) Fixed. Consistent references promote the discussion. (2 )Knowing what I now know, I'd enroll in Trump University long before I'd contribute to the Clinton Foundation.

-30-

Who is more coherent? Trump or Miss Teen South Carolina?

TRUMP: Oh, I see. I might have brought it up. But not having to do with me, just I mean, the wind is a very deceiving thing. First of all, we dont make the windmills in the United States. Theyre made in Germany and Japan. Theyre made out of massive amounts of steel, which goes into the atmosphere, whether its in our country or not, it goes into the atmosphere. The windmills kill birds and the windmills need massive subsidies. In other words, were subsidizing wind mills all over this country. I mean, for the most part they dont work. I dont think they work at all without subsidy, and that bothers me, and they kill all the birds. You go to a windmill, you know in California they have the, what is it? The golden eagle? And theyre like, if you shoot a golden eagle, they go to jail for five years and yet they kill them by, they actually have to get permits that theyre only allowed to kill 30 or something in one year. The windmills are devastating to the bird population, O.K. With that being said, theres a place for them. But they do need subsidy. So, if I talk negatively. Ive been saying the same thing for years about you know, the wind industry. I wouldnt want to subsidize it. Some environmentalists agree with me very much because of all of the things I just said, including the birds, and some dont. But its hard to explain. I dont care about anything having to do with anything having to do with anything other than the country.