Carucci Blisters Rex And Tyrod - Hits The Nail On The Head

yungmack

The Bills played well in the first half, possibly at about their peak, and had a one point lead at halftime. And for that we can largely thank the Raiders receivers who kept dropping excellent passes. The Bills were not dropping passes. The Bills were doing as well as their current roster enabled. (Granted, we're getting our WRs from the Sears catalogue these days, which hampers them.) The point is, our best performance was only a point better than the Raiders bumbling around.

In the second half the Raiders' offense kicked into gear. Our defense could not get a pass rush, and that's doom against the Raiders particularly with safeties we're getting from Montgomery Wards' catalogue. So it's no surprise the Raiders started scoring.

The collapse of the offense is the really frustrating part. The Raiders D is below average, and the Bills really did own most of the first half. What the heck happened? Maybe those sneaky Raiders made some of those halftime adjustments we hear about other teams making, but the Bills are far too proud and cocky to make any of their own. Whatever the cause, once the avalanche started, the O checked out. Did the O line wear out? I don't think the RBs were running any less hard, but the holes weren't there anymore. There were WRs open in the first half who somehow were covered in the second half. Why? Did the Raiders figure out the Bills O?

I was watching the Bills sidelines shots and I never saw ANYONE walking around slapping people on their helmets, getting in their face, waking them up, challenging their manhood, anything like that. The Bills have three elite players (Shady, Sammy, Marcel) and a dozen really good ones. Why didn't Jerry Hughes or Kyle Williams or Richie Incognito take the initiative to try to light a fire?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if they go 9-7/10-6. And even then I'm still not sure. When Rex and Rob are defensive minded coaches and get 37,28,41,31,38 in 5 of their 6 losses either the players aren't that good or the coaches aren't preparing.

Since 2015, we're 8-7 in games where we score 25 or more. During the same stretch, the Chiefs are now 13-1 after this past week's win vs. Atlanta. The Chiefs defense is legit. Ours is not. 13-1

Edited by bobobonators

I think the loss of AW hurts more than many realize. We all know it's a bad loss, but he's critical to the entire operation in my mind.

When you have such a big lead and are losing momentum, someone needs to step up and stop the bleeding. Whether it's TT needing to stand in there and rally his guys to sustaining a drive, or a defensive playmaker making something happen, or the coaches to dial up something crazy, it needed to happen. The Bills failed to rally themselves, and they spiraled out of control. And that's the biggest problem with that loss, Aaron Williams or no.

I recall a game, 2 to 3 years ago. The Bills were dominating the Dolphins everywhere but the scoreboard for the majority of the game. But, the Bills didn't have as big of a lead as they probably should've and the Phins were creeping back, gaining some momentum. That's when Jerry Hughes showed up, forced a strip sack, and put our boot on their necks and ended the game. We needed that on Sunday, from anybody. Not just nexessaily a defender. And we got crickets and a meltdown. In the biggest moments, everybody came up short.

Edited by jmc12290

When you have such a big lead and are losing momentum, someone needs to step up and stop the bleeding. Whether it's TT needing to stand in there and rally his guys to sustaining a drive, or a defensive playmaker making something happen, or the coaches to dial up something crazy, it needed to happen. The Bills failed to rally themselves, and they spiraled out of control. And that's the biggest problem with that loss, Aaron Williams or no.

I recall a game, 2 to 3 years ago. The Bills were dominating the Dolphins everywhere but the scoreboard for the majority of the game. But, the Bills didn't have as big of a lead as they probably should've and the Phins were creeping back, gaining some momentum. That's when Jerry Hughes showed up, forced a strip sack, and put our boot on their necks and ended the game. We needed that on Sunday, from anybody. Not just nexessaily a defender. And we got crickets and a meltdown. In the biggest moments, everybody came up short.

Agreed. Complete failure across the board.

Since 2015, we're 8-7 in games where we score 25 or more. During the same stretch, the Chiefs are now 13-1 after this past week's win vs. Atlanta. The Chiefs defense is legit. Ours is not. 13-1

You are correct! Tyrod and the offence deserve some of the blame but not to the extent he is being bombarded with. This Defense is not in the same league as the Raiders offence. This game was close at half time mostly because of dropped passes and an illegal formation penalty.

The Bills played well in the first half, possibly at about their peak, and had a one point lead at halftime. And for that we can largely thank the Raiders receivers who kept dropping excellent passes. The Bills were not dropping passes. The Bills were doing as well as their current roster enabled. (Granted, we're getting our WRs from the Sears catalogue these days, which hampers them.) The point is, our best performance was only a point better than the Raiders bumbling around.

In the second half the Raiders' offense kicked into gear. Our defense could not get a pass rush, and that's doom against the Raiders particularly with safeties we're getting from Montgomery Wards' catalogue. So it's no surprise the Raiders started scoring.

The collapse of the offense is the really frustrating part. The Raiders D is below average, and the Bills really did own most of the first half. What the heck happened? Maybe those sneaky Raiders made some of those halftime adjustments we hear about other teams making, but the Bills are far too proud and cocky to make any of their own. Whatever the cause, once the avalanche started, the O checked out. Did the O line wear out? I don't think the RBs were running any less hard, but the holes weren't there anymore. There were WRs open in the first half who somehow were covered in the second half. Why? Did the Raiders figure out the Bills O?

I was watching the Bills sidelines shots and I never saw ANYONE walking around slapping people on their helmets, getting in their face, waking them up, challenging their manhood, anything like that. The Bills have three elite players (Shady, Sammy, Marcel) and a dozen really good ones. Why didn't Jerry Hughes or Kyle Williams or Richie Incognito take the initiative to try to light a fire?

good post. i have seen the camaraderie and leadership on the sidelines. it looks like a business.

My other thought is....

Anyone who thought our middlin Bills were going to beat the Raiders was high. The first half was the Raiders screwing up. This was a blowout before the first whistle.

I agree the Bills mindset has yet to understand the 16 game 4 quarters at time grind.

Been a long assed time since Bills could finish a game running away

Vic hasnt hit anything on the head in 25 years- I'm writing this before reading the column lets see how close I am

His wife?his neighbor? the cat ?

You are correct! Tyrod and the offence deserve some of the blame but not to the extent he is being bombarded with. This Defense is not in the same league as the Raiders offence. This game was close at half time mostly because of dropped passes and an illegal formation penalty.

you have a keen eye

It matches what my eyes saw. My opinion going in is that the Bills had a real chance to win this one, and that was reinforced in the first half. It was also my opinion that TT was good enough to be our QB but that one has taken a ferocious beating.

That Oakland was 9-2 is irrelevant; what counts is the second half collapse by the Bills combined with the complete failure of the coaching staff to remedy the situation. Which is why the Raiders are now 10-2 and the Bills are likely in free fall. The first half demonstrated that we had the players to win this game; the second half showed we don't have the coaches to make that happen.

Free fall, huh? Is that your totally rational opinion? A good team ran them over. Don't lose your mind over it.

It matches what my eyes saw. My opinion going in is that the Bills had a real chance to win this one, and that was reinforced in the first half. It was also my opinion that TT was good enough to be our QB but that one has taken a ferocious beating.

That Oakland was 9-2 is irrelevant; what counts is the second half collapse by the Bills combined with the complete failure of the coaching staff to remedy the situation. Which is why the Raiders are now 10-2 and the Bills are likely in free fall. The first half demonstrated that we had the players to win this game; the second half showed we don't have the coaches to make that happen.

Good post !

Free fall, huh? Is that your totally rational opinion? A good team ran them over. Don't lose your mind over it.

What is your position on Vic's article ?

good post. i have seen the camaraderie and leadership on the sidelines. it looks like a business.

My other thought is....

Anyone who thought our middlin Bills were going to beat the Raiders was high. The first half was the Raiders screwing up. This was a blowout before the first whistle.

I agree the Bills mindset has yet to understand the 16 game 4 quarters at time grind.

Been a long assed time since Bills could finish a game running away

That is the essential premise of 'any given Sunday'. The Raiders were not at peak performance in the first half but that is exactly what the Bills should have taken advantage of. Playing lazy, meandering and aimless offense inside of 2 minutes in the first half and giving the ball back to allow them to score a FG was the beginning of the end. The Bills are short on leaders - a lament I made as far back as when FredJax was let go. I am not saying there are none but they are few and far inbetween. When have you seen Dareus, Gilmore, TT, McCoy talk to their comrades if the team is down ? Last Sunday, with the O continuously going 3 and out, TT had the psychologically concussed look on his face. He had given up and was confused. Much like Cam Newton in the Superbowl, The coaches did not realize that the tide was turning early in the second half. They could have schemed to slow the Raiders' momentum but acted clueless. If we had played disciplined and smart football, the game would have been a lot more competitive. I am not saying we would have won for sure, but at least would have given them a run for their money. By middle of the 3Q, the Raiders were just toying with the Bills. That, in essence, was the major failing of the Bills. And a reason why I am accepting a better offer this Sunday to help a friend shop for audio speakers.

I think the loss of AW hurts more than many realize. We all know it's a bad loss, but he's critical to the entire operation in my mind.

No doubt the D misses AW a great deal, but the main thrust of Vic's piece transcends that.

I'm disheartened by Lorax's comment. He's on the inside saying that, not some poster at TBD.

I'd love to know what Pegula is thinking.

I bet Rex gets another year actually.

We'll see, won't we. And, yes, the Raiders are probably a better team. But last Sunday, the Bills had 'em...until they fell apart. That, and not that the Raiders are better, is what's the punch in the gut. And it seems the players have been knocked sideways by the experience which is why dropping the next 4 is far from impossible.

And by Bills logic this translates into firing the OC and blaming the QB.

Vic did a great job on this piece. He summed up where this team is at. The fact that Vic felt the Bills could win and then they did not win, is the reason why Vic wrote this story. To the Poster who said Vic was acting like a fan, no he is not. An event happened, Bills played a game and lost, is why Vic feels the way he does now. Vic also collected quotes and other info to back up why he feels this way. He gave facts mixed w his opinion. Unfortunately it is a growing opinion.

TT accuracy is the biggest concern to me....4 years of college, 7 years in NFL and a QB coach guru and he still misses putting the ball where it needs to be too many times. The good QB put the ball where its catchable, the great ones out it where only the wr can grab it.

Nobody Circles the Wagons and shoots the messagner like a Buffalo Bills fan. Attaboy!

I have said a long time ago: No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo media.

Let me amend that: No one circles the wagons like the haters on this board.

This place is an echo chamber for the haters.

Wonder how happy Dallas fans are that Jason Garrett didn't get fired after numerous 8-8 seasons or worse there

When they got down back then, I think they turned on their VCRs and re-watched their Cowboys wreck the Bills for consecutive SB wins.

I have said a long time ago: No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo media.

Let me amend that: No one circles the wagons like the haters on this board.

This place is an echo chamber for the haters.

No room for (pretty tame) dissent from the media? No one circles the wagons like OBD sycophants here.

And I'm impressed that you were able to use "echo chamber" in this way with no hint of irony...