Irrespective of qb debate, bills have to draft/sign 2ndary

I believe his hand injury is really affecting his play.

Lorax is on fumes.........he's got those rec league cadaver legs going out there. His motor is willing his limbs are not.

Shaq is exactly what I expected......leans on OT's and he's a liability in terms of scheme awareness.

Loved that stunt he had in the first half where he took one step and ran face first into the guard and gave away the edge for a huge run. Just wow.

Shaq so far looks like u predicted he'd be - a non- quick-twitch leaner. It's still early though. I'm holding off on judgment.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Reggie McKenzie, the GM for the Raiders, started a major rebuild a few years ago. He put together a dominant OL, built mostly through free agency and drafted his top tier young franchise qb at the top of the second round. Their offense is one of the the most explosive offenses in the league being proficient in both the run and passing game.

It is not unfair to compare how the Bills and Raiders have done under their respective GMs during the past few years. What is most infuriating is that the Bills had an opportunity to draft Carr with a trade down in the first round and secure a franchise qb that has eluded this bedraggled franchise since the retirement of Jim Kelly nearly a quarter century ago.

The Raiders are now serious SB contenders. The Bills continue to flounder. What is keeping our franchise stuck in the mud of generational mediocrity is its own ineptitude!

They got lucky with Carr....if Carr does not happen this team is right where it has always been.....they basically hit the lottery

Agreed. Gotta do something though -- this secondary is just terrible outside of gilmore and graham. I'm fine with FA signings.

Yeah but when you look around the league it's not like there are many loaded secondaries.

Rex D has just gotten to the point where it is too hard to execute.

They used to EXCEL against good offenses in NY......now they look like traffic cones out there against them.

it's a transient league......players don't practice much any longer......and Rex doesn't want to work too hard either.

The D is a misfit IMO.

I have no problem with them using more chips on D but I just don't think talent is the problem.

Seymour had inside help and didn't need to bite on the in-breaking route. Rookie mistake that cost the Bills.

I understood what happened - and will say two things

1) it's a rookie making a rookie mistake against an elite WR. Maybe you help him with better communication presnap (a consistent issue) but even better is having someone playing centerfield a bit more often that can shade towards where those matchups land. Even if the catch is made hopefully not 7

2) I didn't really catch what our rush looked like that play specifically but was kind of half joking how we often get sucked in with what must be a lot of linebackers/safeties in coverage in the shallow mid field routes because it feels like I see corners on islands and no blitzers

Regardless of that play communication issues and long stays on islands seem to be major troubles for our cbs. Neither indicates they suddenly forgot how to play (ignoring Seymour and looking at the global issue)

Yeah but when you look around the league it's not like there are many loaded secondaries.

Rex D has just gotten to the point where it is too hard to execute.

They used to EXCEL against good offenses in NY......now they look like traffic cones out there against them.

it's a transient league......players don't practice much any longer......and Rex doesn't want to work too hard either.

The D is a misfit IMO.

I have no problem with them using more chips on D but I just don't think talent is the problem.

Agree to disagree - i think the talent outside of gilmore and graham is new orleans level.

I understood what happened - and will say two things

1) it's a rookie making a rookie mistake against an elite WR. Maybe you help him with better communication presnap (a consistent issue) but even better is having someone playing centerfield a bit more often that can shade towards where those matchups land. Even if the catch is made hopefully not 7

2) I didn't really catch what our rush looked like that play specifically but was kind of half joking how we often get sucked in with what must be a lot of linebackers/safeties in coverage in the shallow mid field routes because it feels like I see corners on islands and no blitzers

Regardless of that play communication issues and long stays on islands seem to be major troubles for our cbs. Neither indicates they suddenly forgot how to play (ignoring Seymour and looking at the global issue)

Good post. Edited by dave mcbride

We went from having the worst linebackers in the NFL to the worst safeties.

It's Magic! (Jeff style.). That's what happens when your best of 2 starters goes down with injury. Whaley filled one hole, and another sprung! :(

"Draft/sign" is inclusive of FA. Spend money or picks to get guys who can play.

Gonna have to resign Gilmore so there won't be a ton of cash left, plus once Gilmore finds out he's not getting Norman money he'll at least test the market .

They got lucky with Carr....if Carr does not happen this team is right where it has always been.....they basically hit the lottery

You make your own luck by using picks to select qbs until you hit on the right one. We had the opportunity to draft Russell Wilson in the third round but we passed on him. We had the opportunity to draft Dak Prescott in the third round but we passed on him. We had the opportunity to draft Bridgewater but we passed. Until the qb position is solidified you get nowhere. If you miss then keeping trying until it works out. Nothing meaningful can be accomplished until a legitimate franchise qb is secured.

Agree to disagree - i think the talent outside of gilmore and graham is new orleans level.

Reminds me of the underachievement of Wannstedt prior to Pettine. Everyone looks like sh*t when you are giving up big plays.

Guys like KW and Dareus can play in any scheme and Hughes can play LB if need be but this is still UPFIELD personnel.

I would give Tyrod the Pittsburg game to prove that he has what it takes and if he starts missing open receivers again, then I put EJ in to see where he's at for the next 2 games. If EJ doesn't look like he has it, then go to Cardale for the rest of the season.

Go Bills - find that QB.

yet you have judged another rookie in Seymour enough to think "he sucks". ok!

I've seen enough to realize he was drafted late for a reason. He wasn't very good at USC either (i'm a pac 12 guy). Read the scouting reports - easily baited to bite on double moves. We're seeing that. Shaq gets the benefit of the doubt because a) he has made a couple of nice plays already, b)is coming off of surgery, c) was VERY good in college against good competition, and d) was a consensus first round talent.

Apples and oranges.

Edited by dave mcbride

Reggie McKenzie, the GM for the Raiders, started a major rebuild a few years ago. He put together a dominant OL, built mostly through free agency and drafted his top tier young franchise qb at the top of the second round. Their offense is one of the the most explosive offenses in the league being proficient in both the run and passing game.

It is not unfair to compare how the Bills and Raiders have done under their respective GMs during the past few years. What is most infuriating is that the Bills had an opportunity to draft Carr with a trade down in the first round and secure a franchise qb that has eluded this bedraggled franchise since the retirement of Jim Kelly nearly a quarter century ago.

The Raiders are now serious SB contenders. The Bills continue to flounder. What is keeping our franchise stuck in the mud of generational mediocrity is its own ineptitude!

They also won 11 games in from 2012-2015. It's a painful process to rebuild. It involves a pretty much empty stadium.

Going defense high in the draft would be a mistake in 2017. There are plenty of UFA Safety options Including Berry, Conte, N. Allen, J. Addae, B. McDougald (Who would all be upgrades over who we have now). Do we let Gilmore walk and sign a cheaper option like DJ Hayden or Dre Kirkpatrick...idk. But in the first round I would take Mike Williams, unless Deshaun Watson Drops

It's pure luck the Raiders went from 3 wins in 2014 to being a high playoff seed in 2016. All luck. Reggie McKenzie keeps spinning the roulette wheel and coming up lucky almost every time.

How many QB's did this team pass in from 2011-2014 that are now playing pretty well now?

They also won 11 games in from 2012-2015. It's a painful process to rebuild. It involves a pretty much empty stadium.

You accelerate the rebuild by finding a franchise qb. If you have a franchise qb you can have an incomplete roster and still compete at a high level. The Raiders have a potent offense with a superb OL and an upcoming qb. Their defense is far from being a high end defense. Yet they are serious SB contenders.

The central point is obvious: It doesn't matter how well your roster is constructed if you don't have a good starting qb you get nowhere. Shady McCoy is one of the best backs in the league. It doesn't matter because his performances are squandered because we don't have a legitimate starting qb. Watkins is one of the most talented receivers in the league. His talents are wasted because the mediocre qb he plays with can't get him the ball. Clay is a good TE who the organization paid a lot of money to. His talents and cap investments are wasted because the qb throwing to him is a better runner than a passer.

The Raiders started their rebuild a few years ago. Once they secured their qb, Carr, a qb we bypassed, the team was on its way toward success. The Bills have not had a legitimate starting qb for a generation. The record clearly reflects it.