Irrespective of qb debate, bills have to draft/sign 2ndary

You also need a QB you know the most important position on the field?

How are the Raiders and their bad defense 10-2. Ok yeah QB play

Please stop yourself from hijacking threads. It is tiresome and by now -- and unfortunately - predictable. Don't be that poster.

Other than Revis in his prime, every other DB playing under Rex has been called terrible at one point or another in their careers. That can't be a coincidence. By the time he was set to leave the Jets, they were calling them the worst CBs in the NFL. When he left, the defense was strong the very next year.

I think there is sometthing to this, but baltimore's cbs were good too. One was deion sanders, of course -- arguably one of the five best cbs in the history of the nfl. Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It really depends how the Bills are going forward.

I would Fire Rex, so with that I think Darby, Seymour, Coleman, Gilmore are fine.

I can find a Safety or two as a UFA.

This defense can switch back to a 4-3 (what they were really good in) pretty easily.

So my Priorities would be

1. QB x 2 I need a starter and a BU

2. WR x 2 need either to re-sign Woods or replace in draft and a 3rd WR to replace Goodwin

3. RT

4. Safety depends on Williams if I need a Starter or a player to groom ala Searcy

It really depends how the Bills are going forward.

I would Fire Rex, so with that I think Darby, Seymour, Coleman, Gilmore are fine.

I can find a Safety or two as a UFA.

This defense can switch back to a 4-3 (what they were really good in) pretty easily.

So my Priorities would be

1. QB x 2 I need a starter and a BU

2. WR x 2 need either to re-sign Woods or replace in draft and a 3rd WR to replace Goodwin

3. RT

4. Safety depends on Williams if I need a Starter or a player to groom ala Searcy

I get this, but they cannot cover. I mean, if jax's receivers hold on to their drops, bortles looks like an all-pro.

I think there is sometthing to this, but baltimore's cbs were good too. One was deion sanders, of course -- arguably one of the five best cbs in the history of the nfl.

When was that 1972?

The scheme worked then. It is a completely different league now. Didn't Deion only play briefly with BMore?

Given the probable impending retirement of Aaron Williams (a very good safety), the bills cannot continue to trot out a secondary with one good player (gilmore), one solid one (graham), and a fleet of practice squad-level players. Since the rams game, it has been seven games and no one has intercepted a pass except gilmore (2 against an aj green-less cincy). That is HORRIBLE. This secondary is just awful. Carr's receivers had 5 drops today which makes the performance look better than it is, but honestly, they stink. They cannot cover, and Darby has been a terrible disappointment (although to be fair he was eaten alive late in 2015 after a strong start).

Yeah, the Bills historically have not focused enough of the secondary and running backs when it comes to the early rounds of the draft, to include top ten picks and other huge resources. That's the problem. Another is that Whaley should trade away more draft picks, not less.

Whaley is great. The Ryans are great. Let's grab a first round corner and fix this thing!

I knew there was a way to make this team a winner that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

I get this, but they cannot cover. I mean, if jax's receivers hold on to their drops, bortles looks like an all-pro.

So they forgot to cover from 2 years again or even last year to this year.

Or maybe Rex shouldn't have run Donnie Henderson out of town for his entourage

Edited by MAJBobby

When was that 1972?

The scheme worked then. It is a completely different league now. Didn't Deion only play briefly with BMore?

Deion was a good player on a very good 2005 D, but yes, you're right. I was thinking of 2006, which had mcallister, samari rolle, and ed reed:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2006.htm

Other than Revis in his prime, every other DB playing under Rex has been called terrible at one point or another in their careers. That can't be a coincidence. By the time he was set to leave the Jets, they were calling them the worst CBs in the NFL. When he left, the defense was strong the very next year.

^^^^^^

Post of the day!

So they forgot to cover from 2 years again or even last year to this year.

Or maybe Rex shouldn't have run Donnie Henderson out of town for his entourage

No disagreement there about henderson. The loss, thogh, of aaron williams was the biggest blow of the year. He was a good player who also understood the D.

^^^^^^Post of the day!

It's also untrpue. The baltimore 2006 D was number one in points and yards with very high picks at the cb and safety spots.

Fire Rex and go back to a cover 2 and the secondary will be fine with the exception of replacing AW.

Front 7:

Lawson Dareus Washington Hughes

Brown Ragland ZBrown

Time to let the old man go despite how good he's played this year.

No disagreement there about henderson. The loss, thogh, of aaron williams was the biggest blow of the year. He was a good player who also understood the D.

It's also untrpue. The baltimore 2006 D was number one in points and yards with very high picks at the cb and safety spots.

Also in a different era of NFL football before all the rule changes to make passing easier

Yeah, the Bills historically have not focused enough of the secondary and running backs when it comes to the early rounds of the draft, to include top ten picks and other huge resources. That's the problem. Another is that Whaley should trade away more draft picks, not less.Whaley is great. The Ryans are great. Let's grab a first round corner and fix this thing!I knew there was a way to make this team a winner that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Are u watching the games, bill? The d does everything well except cover. It's a big freaking part of the game. This isn't 1974.

To clarify, I meant under Rex as HC.

Clearly those Baltimore D's were strong. They were also defending completely different offensive schemes. Rex has made some adjustments this year but in game adjustments are few and far between. The base of the thing does not work.

Are u watching the games, bill? The d does everything well except cover. It's a big freaking part of the game. This isn't 1974.

That is because they are being asked to do too damned much. Yes, they have made mistakes like the one on the Cooper TD today, but there have been way too many times when they don't have enough help and wither the ball comes out super quick or the pass rush is ineffective. It seems like Rex's D is built to stop the run first and bring elaborate pass rushes in which the defender has to make 19 tricky moves to get in. That would be great if the QBs all counted 5 Mississippi before they threw like they did in the 70s. Kenny Stabler and Bob Griese would be screwed against this defense. Unfortunately, Ryan Fitzpatrick can chew it up and spit it out when small quick corners have to get position on gigantic WRs in 1.2 seconds all the while knowing they have no help.

The best way to get Rex's D working again would be to invent a time machine. It's friggin over.

Edited by 4merper4mer

That is because they are being asked to do too damned much. Yes, they have made mistakes like the one on the Cooper TD today, but there have been way too many times when they don't have enough help and wither the ball comes out super quick or the pass rush is ineffective. It seems like Rex's D is built to stop the run first and bring elaborate pass rushes in which the defender has to make 19 tricky moves to get in. That would be great if the QBs all counted 5 Mississippi before they threw like they did in the 70s. Kenny Stabler and Bob Griese would be screwed against this defense. Unfortunately, Ryan Fitzpatrick can chew it up and spit it out when small quick corners have to get position on gigantic WRs in 1.2 seconds all the while knowing they have no help.

The best way to get Rex's D working again would be to invent a time machine. It's friggin over.

Lol. Good post. I still that they are really terrible in coverage overall. Edited by dave mcbride