Don't look now....Bills are now a "Top 10 Defense"

Big Turk

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What QB's, teams have the Bills beaten this year so far?

The 4-6 Arizona Cardinals

The 9-2 Patriots with an injured 3rd string rookie QB starting who was forced to start because they had no other healthy QB and he went on IR right after that week's game. Ooooh, the Bills beat an injured Jacoby Brissett. (1-1)

The 4-7 LA Rams

The 1-10 San Francisco 49ers

The 3-7-1 Cincinnati Bengals

The 2-9 Jacksonville Jaguars

This is like a QB padding his stats in garbage time in six games. The team also lost two division games that they never should have lost to the NY Jets and Miami Dolphins if the defense didn't fold like deck chairs on the Titanic.

This year's Bills team lost to the 3-8 NY Jets and allowed 493 yards of offense to those scrubs and worst of all Fitz threw for 374 yards WITH Aaron Williams in the lineup.

Then the Miami Dolphins had a rusher run for 214 yards as the Dolphins rushed for 256 yards and 2 TD's and that Bills defense allowed 454 yards of offense to those smelly fish. The Bills lines were manhandled in this game.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics...

Yes, the Bills are currently the #2 team in the league in sacks and yet that somehow doesn't correlate to QB pressures / hurries because they are currently 15th in defensive hurries. Then, as bad as they look against the pass the stats say they are 8th in the NFL and as good as they look against the run the stats say they are 21st.

Guys, these posts HAVE to stop once and for all. This idea that, "well we only beat these teams" and "yeah ok but this guy's stats were in garbage time" or my favorite, "well if you take out this game or that pass..." is beyond idiotic.

EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL PLAYS AGAINST S****Y TEAMS. EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL FARES BETTER AGAINST S****Y TEAMS THAN GOOD TEAMS. EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL GETS GARBAGE TIME YARDS/POINTS SOMETIMES. NO TEAMS MORE THAN OTHERS. IT ALL BALANCES OUT.

They are what their record is; they are what their stats are- the team as well as the individuals. Are there certain outlier situations like a team does worse against the pass because they're always up in games? Or all Blake Bortles' garbage time numbers last year? Sure. But every year, it's the same thing with you guys: well sure we're ranked this but we're really more like that because of this. Just stop. The Bills are just like every other team. They're not some marked team whose circumstances are radically different from every other teams' every single season.

Thank you.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Guys, these posts HAVE to stop once and for all. This idea that, "well we only beat these teams" and "yeah ok but this guy's stats were in garbage time" or my favorite, "well if you take out this game or that pass..." is beyond idiotic.

EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL PLAYS AGAINST S****Y TEAMS. EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL FARES BETTER AGAINST S****Y TEAMS THAN GOOD TEAMS. EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL GETS GARBAGE TIME YARDS/POINTS SOMETIMES. NO TEAMS MORE THAN OTHERS. IT ALL BALANCES OUT.

They are what their record is; they are what their stats are- the team as well as the individuals. Are there certain outlier situations like a team does worse against the pass because they're always up in games? Or all Blake Bortles' garbage time numbers last year? Sure. But every year, it's the same thing with you guys: well sure we're ranked this but we're really more like that because of this. Just stop. The Bills are just like every other team. They're not some marked team whose circumstances are radically different from every other teams' every single season.

Thank you.

I tend to agree with you. All of the "only the Bills can do _____" arguments are annoying. They are just like other teams. They will beat Cleveland, other teams score garbage points, suffer injuries and get screwed by the refs, etc...

Thank you.

Agreed

Thank you.

Was anything I posted false? Did I post stats that were lies?

The ONLY way posts like this will stop is if and when the Buffalo Bills defense beats a team with a QB that has a winning record and they face three teams ahead. Oakland, Pittsburgh, and Miami.

and thank you too... for quoting my post so fans get to read it again.

If Dareus keeps playing, it almost changes the whole D as far as what they can do and it will keep getting better. The DL is crazy good with him in there. This will help the safeties too. He has only played in 2 games and has been pretty dominant in both.

yeah, he's pretty much the key. frees up everyone else, puts O is second and long, etc etc. He's a beast. Need him on the field. too many key guys hurt on this team. Bryant gone now as well. MD needs to play out the season at high level for D to be successful last 5 games, IMO. No one else has the impact he has.

yeah, he's pretty much the key. frees up everyone else, puts O is second and long, etc etc. He's a beast. Need him on the field. too many key guys hurt on this team. Bryant gone now as well. MD needs to play out the season at high level for D to be successful last 5 games, IMO. No one else has the impact he has.

imo we beat Miami if we had him and our whole season (and theirs) looks different right now. Sigh.

I didn't realize Bryant was about to on IR. That certainly explains why they were cautious with Dareus at the end of the Jax game. Can't risk a debilitating injury that'll keep him out for weeks.

It's interesting to me how luck factors into our perceptions.

The Bills D has caused 20 fumbles, but only recovered 6 of them. Compare that to KC who has caused 21 fumbles but recovered 11 of them. The Bills D is tied for 2nd in fumbles caused but ranked 15th in fumbles recovered. There's not much a D can do but keep flying hard to the ball and hoping the ball bounces their way.

And there is no "skill" to recovering a fumble...no correlation between them, its pretty much something that will trend towards the mean, in this case 50/50 over a large sample size

Not top 10 in my eyes because of the two stats you posted the one that means more is PPG and they are 12th

In your eyes is irrelevant, its what the ranking goes by...

Gross yards allowed simply isn't the best barometer.

Coaches and scouts key in on a few numbers to get an idea of how good teams are:

Yards per play for and against.

Yards per rushing attempt for and against.

Yards per pass attempt for and against.

Number of rushing attempts per game for and against.

Yards per play against, the Bills rank 11th at 5.4...

In comparison, Oakland is dead last at 6.2...

While that is true.......the Bills have also had lucky breaks that throw some of their defensive performance out of whack.

How about a SHUTOUT of the Pats without Tom Brady...........Brady plays, that's an additional 25-45 points on the ledger.

Or playing the Bengals without AJ Green?

If you look objectively at the opponents they've played this year, they should have gotten FAT off of that group.

We have seen very good defense pretty recently....just two seasons ago.....and this has been nothing close to it. They have been shaky and fortune has certainly favored them despite your stat.

Right...because no other teams EVER play against teams missing good players, right---just the Bills? How bout all those teams that have played Cleveland and Chicago this year? Do they get an automatic asterisk too?

Edited by matter2003

It's worth noting that the Bills do adjust to what is happening. Teams may get the jump on us, but we catch up to them later.

We have been adjusting good in second halves - that did not happen against the jags though and that is scary...hopefully it was injuries?

How can you say their losses meant next to nothing? They were drafted to be starters. We were counting on them to start. Rookies are going to be rookies but losing a starter means that someone else has to step up. Shaq is pretty much in week 1 mode instead of week 12 mode.

I see no way possible Ragland would have come in and played at the same level Zach Brown has....

agree on all fronts. The defense has one job, prevent the opponent from scoring. If they allow yards between the 20s who cares.

How does the defense get credit for teams missing field goals then? They weren't on the field and had nothing to do with the misses...

Right...because no other teams EVER play against teams missing good players, right---just the Bills? How bout all those teams that have played Cleveland and Chicago this year? Do they get an automatic asterisk too?

Did you read the post I was responding too?

MDH implied that the Bills D was unlucky. :lol:

The Bills have had a lot of injuries.......but in general the team has had their fair share of breaks.

NE without Brady and Gronk.

Seattle without Bennett and Chancellor.

Cinci without AJ Green.

Now Carr....the NFL's most productive player?.......with a potentially very impactful injury to the finger that secures the football on his throwing hand.

Not unlucky.

The point being.........they are what they are.

Unlucky is not a fair representation.

This D is mediocre because the scheme is designed not to hit QB's or force turnovers......but to force punts........and instead it allows far too many third down conversions, a high redzone conversion rate and big plays in the pass game.

D hasn't worked right to this point.

The O has worked as it was drawn up...or better.....by comparison.

MDH implied that the Bills D was unlucky. :lol:

That's not quite true. I responded to a post which essentially said that the Bills weren't pulling their weight in terms of the turnover ratio. I simply said that they've actually been doing a better than average job of it but that luck played a roll in them not having as many recovered fumbles as the numbers say they should.

I said nothing, and implied nothing, about all the breaks they have or haven't gotten in regards to anything else.

That's not quite true. I responded to a post which essentially said that the Bills weren't pulling their weight in terms of the turnover ratio. I simply said that they've actually been doing a better than average job of it but that luck played a roll in them not having as many recovered fumbles as the numbers say they should.

I said nothing, and implied nothing, about all the breaks they have or haven't gotten in regards to anything else.

Oh you said that the perception of the D was based greatly on luck........and this is the problem with threads like these........When a D is just mediocre each response just ultimately just ends up proving that point......in spite of what the apologist or overly negative point is.

The more games are played the less that things like misfortune can be used as an excuse.

Look at the way the team finished last season.......they were 6-8 and the D was perceived as awful.......but they closed with 2 strong performances after they were out of it and that made them just look mediocre....but possibly on the upswing.