Seantrel Henderson suspended another 10 games

YoloinOhio

Just so know that Sanjay Gupta and myself are not the only one's who think so...

In October 2015 the Brookings Institute put out a report entitled

Ending the US Governments' War on Medical Marijuana Research

This is from the Conclusion section

Marijuana policy has shifted rapidly in the U.S. in the last 10 years. Public demands, especially for increased medical
research, have run head on into a system of overlapping and complicated federal law. The scheduling of marijuana
under the CSA is one part of this layered system that impedes legitimate medical research on the benefits—and
harms—that marijuana can have for a variety of ailments. But rescheduling is by no means the only barrier. Removing
the DEA-mandated NIDA monopoly on production of marijuana for research, issuing agency guidance, expanding
the compassionate use program, and reforming license and registration requirements would all go a long way to
improve the scientific community’s capacity and ability to study marijuana for medical use. Thousands of Americans
use marijuana for medical purposes, and many do so legally in 23 states and the District of Columbia. Yet, Congress
and federal agencies continue to impede clinical research on the appropriate usage of marijuana. It’s time to stop
letting outdated policy prevent the scientific community from advancing knowledge and ensuring that patients and
practitioners understand the benefits and risks of medical marijuana.
Or try this article from August 2015 if you don't trust the Brookings Institute
Edited by Bob in Mich

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Careful Doc, we don't want this to devolve into gibberish....your usual cop out. Why not answer the questions that are asked rather than answering the questions you make up? That would help keep the gibberish away.

I appreciate that you are starting to do some research on this subject though. Great idea!!

Unfortunately, you are again incorrect. This time regarding NIDA and their role in obstructing cannabis research. Until recently, possibly March 2016, here was NIDA's stance

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-04/why-its-so-hard-scientists-study-pot

From the article

If you're going to run a trial to show that marijuana has positive effects, the NIDA essentially is not going to allow it.

Both the American Medical Association and the American College of Physicians have called for more research into the therapeutic uses of marijuana and for the U.S. government to reconsider its classification as a Schedule I substance.

The University of Mississippi grows and harvests cannabis for studies funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, yet because NIDA's congressionally mandated mission is to research the harmful effects of controlled substances and stop drug abuse, the institute isn't interested in helping establish marijuana as a medicine.

"If you're going to run a trial to show this is going to have positive effects, they're essentially not going to allow it," Lyle Craker, a professor and horticulturist at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, says.

-------------

In August of 2016 the DEA agreed to allow cannabis to be grown in multiple locations. They left it as schedule 1 however. This means that it is still extremely difficult to obtain though now there are more places to get it if all agency approvals go through. Sanjay Gupta comments:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/12/cnn-chief-medical-coorespondent-says-dea-missed-opportunity-with-pot/

from the article

The DEA will allow for more pot to be grown for medical research, but Dr. Sanjay Gupta says this is largely symbolic. Scientists will still have a difficult time getting access to study its benefits, Gupta writes in a Thursday CNN article.

While this will be hailed as a victory for research, it will largely be symbolic, Gupta writes. ecause no matter how much marijuana is available, if access is still difficult, it hardly matters.

Gupta says access to pot for medical reasons remains behind a locked door. While the DEA opened up new avenues for potential studies, universities that would study it still remain skeptical of allowing such studies

can you provide the studies done where there were negative effects?

Can you provide the studies done with other herbal supplements?

Honestly, it frustrates me because there are many common homeopathic remedies for things that get neglected for use of a Tums, sleeping pill, nerve meds, blood thinners, etc.

The money pushed to study marijuana is hilarious when you consider that 100 yrs ago granny clampet could cure you with about anything found in the woods. And that we don't study those and often judge those who swear by Valerian root, hops, lavender and whiskey as kooks.

We spend countless hours having weed shoved in our faces as a cure all when its shown the inability to only cure symptoms. We spend millions in research only to fortifiy the reasoning that it should be legal.

Spend that money on effective drug testing research. Spend that money on education of the real effects of marijuana. And spend that money to research all choices. Just stop using it as a guise to heal anyone.

Comparing the effects of weed to alcohol, heroin, tobacco, hugs, dutch ovens and anything else is stupid. Marijuana is a recreational drug for 99% of the users out there who are too dumb to actually understand the much healthier options. They're weak, stupid and would rather toke up because of a psychosomatic belief then work on things like meditation, therapy, yoga, exercise and eating properly. I don't have proof of this with some cockamamy link to WWW.jesussaysweedisbad.com link. Its clear as day. And people need to look within themselves to find better ways to treat their body - because if their body is hurting or fighting back than it is a sign of a bad lifestyle.

The 1% who need it are the ones who produce some Badass beats and jams.

I've never smoked it or had it. I've never done any illegal drugs. I am no saint, he lives in Louisiana, but I have never had interest to use. I don't care if others do so long as they leave me alone and stay off my lawn.

Just so know that Sanjay Gupta and myself are not the only one's who think so...

Marijuana policy has shifted rapidly in the U.S. in the last 10 years. Public demands, especially for increased medical

research, have run head on into a system of overlapping and complicated federal law. The scheduling of marijuana

under the CSA is one part of this layered system that impedes legitimate medical research on the benefitsand

harmsthat marijuana can have for a variety of ailments. But rescheduling is by no means the only barrier. Removing

the DEA-mandated NIDA monopoly on production of marijuana for research, issuing agency guidance, expanding

the compassionate use program, and reforming license and registration requirements would all go a long way to

improve the scientific communitys capacity and ability to study marijuana for medical use. Thousands of Americans

use marijuana for medical purposes, and many do so legally in 23 states and the District of Columbia. Yet, Congress

and federal agencies continue to impede clinical research on the appropriate usage of marijuana. Its time to stop

letting outdated policy prevent the scientific community from advancing knowledge and ensuring that patients and

practitioners understand the benefits and risks of medical marijuana.

Or try this article from August 2015 if you don't trust the Brookings Institute

http://fcir.org/2015/08/19/federal-restrictions-hamper-medical-marijuana-research/

Gupta has since come out against marijuana until more studies are done saying the new strength of marijuana is much more potent than 30 yrs ago and people don't understand that. He was quoted as saying he was concerned about the long term effects on the brain.

Just thought that was relevant because other than being some douche on CNN that is no different than Dr Phil or that Dr who was with Adam corolla on love line. Bam

NFL stance on put us horrible. The list of pain killer they allow are far stronger end have addictive properties.

IMo the NFL stance is strictly a pr move to appease the ignorant segment of our population

That dead, mutilated, unrecognizable corpse lying on the ground in a pool of blood is the English language. Edited by Coach Tuesday

Let me guess, 60 something, white and voted for Trump?

It's funny that people assume views that they see as conservative are people that are around 60. People that age smoked more weed and had more sex with more people than any generation since.

The issues in this thread aren't so much people being anti-weed as it is people like yourself who don't realize that the players could negotiate with owners for weed use.....like anything else......and that there isn't definitive clinical proof that MJ even has a medical benefit.......and of course the ridiculousness of people who take the word of a time-testedly unaccountable character like Seantrel Henderson. :doh:

NFL stance on put us horrible. The list of pain killer they allow are far stronger end have addictive properties.

IMo the NFL stance is strictly a pr move to appease the ignorant segment of our population

Or the stance is to not appease the ignorant section with a stoned point of view.

Thousands of Americans use marijuana for medical purposes, and many do so legally in 23 states and the District of Columbia. Yet, Congress and federal agencies continue to impede clinical research on the appropriate usage of marijuana.

The article is clearly incorrect. It is not legal to smoke weed - not prosecuted in some areas but not legal.

NIDA's weed farm provides weed for research. Quoting a botanist and an editorializing reporter/columnist doesn't change this fact. And you still haven't explained why no international pharmaceutical company (5 of the world's top 8 are not US companies) has bothered much with a smokable plant as a product. They have done most of the R and D of cannabis extracts and have brought them to market.

You must know that plants cannot be patented and that drug developers make their money selling their drug during the period of patent protection. This is why most pharma companies looking at cannabinoids work to develop and then patent synthetic cannabioids. GW Pharma is unique in that they are working with extracts from proprietary strains. Some doubt the wisdom of this due to the patent issue

I don't care who treats their pain with what. My guess is that if the vast majority US self (or assisted) medicators were offered a pill cannabis extract that eliminated their chronic pain but had no psychotropic/euphoric effects--the overwhelming majority of them would decline in favor of smoking MJ.

So, if you are saying that most medical cannabis users like the high in addition to the medical benefits, I would agree with that. Recall, the high is often referred to as 'a sense of wellbeing'. So you are comparing a pain relief effect to a combination pain relief with a sense of wellbeing. Which sounds better to you?

Now, cannabis affects different people differently. While most people learn to get used to the high, some do not and do their best to get the benefits of cannabinoid therapy WITHOUT the high. I personally know patients that have worked very hard to be able to take the medicine while avoiding the high. They have worked to develop strains that are low in THC. Others grow cannabis plants so that they can use the fresh picked leaves in smoothies, for instance. They avoid heating the leaves/buds so that the plant's THC-A, the acid form (non-psychoactive), does not turn into THC.

I hesitate to mention this because the collective maturity level of this site is about 15 years old but....I know others who make suppositories out of cocoa butter and cannabis concentrate. They use the drug this way to avoid the high effects.

And, really, that's what this about. People who smoke enjoy getting high. That's certainly true for, i would think, every NFL player who partakes. Whatever actual health benefits they might experience are secondary to euphoria. Do you think a single player, if offered an extract pill, would take that over just smoking from his stash? Of course not.

Yes, I do. Based on my awareness of how non NFL people use cannabis as medicine, I would say that given the numbers, certainly some would prefer the extract

Teach a man to fish.... go to http://nih.gov

Put in your search terms like 2016 cannabinoids NIDA (Recall NIDA is the national institute on drug abuse)

Honestly, it frustrates me because there are many common homeopathic remedies for things that get neglected for use of a Tums, sleeping pill, nerve meds, blood thinners, etc.

The money pushed to study marijuana is hilarious when you consider that 100 yrs ago granny clampet could cure you with about anything found in the woods. And that we don't study those and often judge those who swear by Valerian root, hops, lavender and whiskey as kooks.

This is the mantra you keep hammering. There are compounds in lots of plants that have effects on animals. I AGREE. WE ALL AGREE

This group of plants includes cannabis. Don't gloss over that. Those plants impact some receptors in animals, possible even the cannabinoid receptors, like cannabis. Maybe eventually we will discover lavender receptors, I do not know. It may turn out to be all about terpenes, idk. Terpenes seem to bind to cannabinoid receptors and this may be why lavender has an impact on animals. More research would certainly help, without a doubt

We spend countless hours having weed shoved in our faces as a cure all when its shown the inability to only cure symptoms. We spend millions in research only to fortifiy the reasoning that it should be legal.

Spend that money on effective drug testing research. Spend that money on education of the real effects of marijuana. And spend that money to research all choices. Just stop using it as a guise to heal anyone.

Imo, you are willfully ignorant of the health benefits because that would rock your base assumptions. Do some research on the endo-cannabinoid system. It will help you in future discussions

Comparing the effects of weed to alcohol, heroin, tobacco, hugs, dutch ovens and anything else is stupid. Marijuana is a recreational drug for 99% of the users out there who are too dumb to actually understand the much healthier options. They're weak, stupid and would rather toke up because of a psychosomatic belief then work on things like meditation, therapy, yoga, exercise and eating properly. I don't have proof of this with some cockamamy link to WWW.jesussaysweedisbad.com link. Its clear as day. And people need to look within themselves to find better ways to treat their body - because if their body is hurting or fighting back than it is a sign of a bad lifestyle.

I've never smoked it or had it. I've never done any illegal drugs. I am no saint, he lives in Louisiana, but I have never had interest to use. I don't care if others do so long as they leave me alone and stay off my lawn.

Gupta has since come out against marijuana until more studies are done saying the new strength of marijuana is much more potent than 30 yrs ago and people don't understand that. He was quoted as saying he was concerned about the long term effects on the brain. He states that it should not be used by young people but he is now clearly in the camp believing it to be medicine. Go to CNN.COM and watch WEED, WEED 2, and WEED 3 by Gupta if you have any doubts.

Just thought that was relevant because other than being some douche on CNN that is no different than Dr Phil or that Dr who was with Adam corolla on love line. Bam Gupta is a neurosurgeon. He has performed brain surgery.

Teach a man to fish.... go to http://nih.gov

Put in your search terms like 2016 cannabinoids NIDA (Recall NIDA is the national institute on drug abuse)

This is the mantra you keep hammering. There are compounds in lots of plants that have effects on animals. I AGREE. WE ALL AGREE

This group of plants includes cannabis. Don't gloss over that. Those plants impact some receptors in animals, possible even the cannabinoid receptors, like cannabis. Maybe eventually we will discover lavender receptors, I do not know. It may turn out to be all about terpenes, idk. Terpenes seem to bind to cannabinoid receptors and this may be why lavender has an impact on animals. More research would certainly help, without a doubt

Imo, you are willfully ignorant of the health benefits because that would rock your base assumptions. Do some research on the endo-cannabinoid system. It will help you in future discussions

Gupta has since come out against marijuana until more studies are done saying the new strength of marijuana is much more potent than 30 yrs ago and people don't understand that. He was quoted as saying he was concerned about the long term effects on the brain. He states that it should not be used by young people but he is now clearly in the camp believing it to be medicine. Go to CNN.COM and watch WEED, WEED 2, and WEED 3 by Gupta if you have any doubts.

Just thought that was relevant because other than being some douche on CNN that is no different than Dr Phil or that Dr who was with Adam corolla on love line. Bam Gupta is a neurosurgeon. He has performed brain surgery.

thank you for taking the time!e to respond. I'll focus on one thing because it was the only thing I would like to focus on since its me. I like me.

Nothing would rock my world. Researching what weed does to people is as worthwhile to me as researching why homosexuals love soccer. There are things I just don't care about. Weed is nothing important in my world as it's

A) not available

B) not conducive to my lifestyle

3) I have no interest on its magic elixer qualities.

4) I want to watch jango unchained or that movie about the little girl who kills Tom Johnson with John Wayne in it

5) doesn't interest me.

NIDA's weed farm provides weed for research. Quoting a botanist and an editorializing reporter/columnist doesn't change this fact. And you still haven't explained why no international pharmaceutical company (5 of the world's top 8 are not US companies) has bothered much with a smokable plant as a product. They have done most of the R and D of cannabis extracts and have brought them to market.

You must know that plants cannot be patented and that drug developers make their money selling their drug during the period of patent protection. This is why most pharma companies looking at cannabinoids work to develop and then patent synthetic cannabioids. GW Pharma is unique in that they are working with extracts from proprietary strains. Some doubt the wisdom of this due to the patent issue

I don't care who treats their pain with what. My guess is that if the vast majority US self (or assisted) medicators were offered a pill cannabis extract that eliminated their chronic pain but had no psychotropic/euphoric effects--the overwhelming majority of them would decline in favor of smoking MJ.

So, if you are saying that most medical cannabis users like the high in addition to the medical benefits, I would agree with that. Recall, the high is often referred to as 'a sense of wellbeing'. So you are comparing a pain relief effect to a combination pain relief with a sense of wellbeing. Which sounds better to you?

Now, cannabis affects different people differently. While most people learn to get used to the high, some do not and do their best to get the benefits of cannabinoid therapy WITHOUT the high. I personally know patients that have worked very hard to be able to take the medicine while avoiding the high. They have worked to develop strains that are low in THC. Others grow cannabis plants so that they can use the fresh picked leaves in smoothies, for instance. They avoid heating the leaves/buds so that the plant's THC-A, the acid form (non-psychoactive), does not turn into THC.

I hesitate to mention this because the collective maturity level of this site is about 15 years old but....I know others who make suppositories out of cocoa butter and cannabis concentrate. They use the drug this way to avoid the high effects.

And, really, that's what this about. People who smoke enjoy getting high. That's certainly true for, i would think, every NFL player who partakes. Whatever actual health benefits they might experience are secondary to euphoria. Do you think a single player, if offered an extract pill, would take that over just smoking from his stash? Of course not.

Yes, I do. Based on my awareness of how non NFL people use cannabis as medicine, I would say that given the numbers, certainly some would prefer the extract

"plants can't be patented"

Monsanto, pioneer, etc laugh at you. Silly boy.

thank you for taking the time!e to respond. I'll focus on one thing because it was the only thing I would like to focus on since its me. I like me.

Nothing would rock my world. Researching what weed does to people is as worthwhile to me as researching why homosexuals love soccer. There are things I just don't care about. Weed is nothing important in my world as it's

A) not available

B) not conducive to my lifestyle

3) I have no interest on its magic elixer qualities.

4) I want to watch jango unchained or that movie about the little girl who kills Tom Johnson with John Wayne in it

5) doesn't interest me.

In spite of what you say, you MUST care about this issue. You post the same thing in almost every cannabis thread. Why not STFU if it doesn't interest you?

Edited by Bob in Mich

Weed is no more harmful than alcohol and tobacco.....those that are against marijuana do you also fight for alcohol and tobacco to be illegal.....both those drugs are addictive and fatal if used regularly

No one is against marijuana.

Some of us are against the accumulation of idiots and knuckleheads on a team that purports to be trying to build a contender.

f he gets fined & suspended for ten games with a prescription from a certified Dr. then Goodell needs to be taken out back & given a old fashion ass whooping !!

I could see if some one had no reason & was just a prima donna type thinking he can do what he wants but we all know or have a idea what this guy has been through missing the better part of a entire year due to this disease .

It's ridiculous that these big wigs thinks that using this method of pain killing drug is any different then when a player goes in & the NFL deems it okay to shoot them up with that toradoll stuff that got Favre hooked on pain killers but thats Okay because big brother says it is !!

And it's for the better meant of the game what a crock of S**T !!

No one is against marijuana.

Some of us are against the accumulation of idiots and knuckleheads on a team that purports to be trying to build a contender.

Some of us are against the accumulation of idiots and knuckleheads on board but I do not see that happening.

f he gets fined & suspended for ten games with a prescription from a certified Dr. then Goodell needs to be taken out back & given a old fashion ass whooping !!

If he gets away with it a whole industry of doctors giving NFL prescriptions for all sorts of drugs will appear.

If the NFL players want to have option to toke then they need to push NFLPA and not to do it piece meal.

Habitual user? or maybe he was a user, like many of us were in our 20's.

The league needs to revisit this drug policy. It's a farce that it's legal in some NFL cities, but you still get suspended for using it. It's not a dangerous or performance enhancing drug.

I think that most people with any discipline at all in their lives could pass up a joint if at the very least hundreds of thousands, and in some cases millions of dollars were at stake. I mean it's not as strong an addictive substance as heroin, crack, meth, or even alcohol. Hell, I haven't had a cigarette for 1 year, 1 month and 11 days and I bet that it is MUCH more of an accomplishment than giving up weed.

I won't blame Rex for this one whereas Badol cites this players' long term history of stupidity and lack of impulse control. It does not however surprise me at all to see players on a team coached by Rex to lack accountability and discipline both on and off the field.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I think that most people with any discipline at all in their lives could pass up a joint if at the very least hundreds of thousands, and in some cases millions of dollars were at stake. I mean it's not as strong an addictive substance as heroin, crack, meth, or even alcohol. Hell, I haven't had a cigarette for 1 year, 1 month and 11 days and I bet that it is MUCH more of an accomplishment than giving up weed.

I won't blame Rex for this one whereas Badol cites this players' long term history of stupidity and lack of impulse control. It does not however surprise me at all to see players on a team coached by Rex to lack accountability and discipline both on and off the field.

Congrats on giving up cigarettes...I know many who have tried and can't...