We are top 10 in points scored since start of 2015.

bobobonators

The larger the sample size the more statistically significant it is. To sit here and boo hoo a sample size of 26 games is ridiculous.

Lets try and figure out how many points fhe Bills score when its sunny compared to "better teams" while we're at it.

Take the stat somewhere. What is the point differential in wins Vs Losses. That's all I am saying I like we score points better than we have in years past.

But end of the day really means nothing because yet we sit here at .500 on outside looking in. Because we didn't score enough in Baltimore or couldn't stop Jets, or couldn't do anything in the 2nd half of MIA or could not get a game winning drive in SEA.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The context you need to look at is that offense is 1/3 of the equation of an NFL team, with defense and special teams completing the rest.

Why do you come off as doubtful of how the Bills got to 9th but wont even entertain how the saints are so high despite having a crap record. When you talk about the saints are you looking at "context". What about the Falcons? Do you question the "context" there?

Its impossible to break down every point of context you want bc youre looking to do nothing but disregard the obvious: the bills are pretty good, and certainly better than average, at putting up points.

How do we improve above .500? Play solid defense, limit penalties, get healthy, and continue to execute on offense.

Agree with your overall points this topic. Everyone thinks that one player or a few good players or one unit wins football games. Football is a complete team game, just ask the chiefs. Is the Chiefs offence better than ours and is Alex smith better than Tyrod? I would say no to both. They win because they are a disciplined, well rounded football team across the board

Edited by billsfan11

Cry and complain all you want about this team, but since the start of 2015 the Buffalo Bills rank 9th in the NFL (and 3rd in the AFC) in points scored with 632 (or 24.3/game).

The top 10:

1. Panthers - 743

2. Patriots - 737

3. Cardinals - 716

4. Saints - 693

5. Steelers - 660

6. Falcons - 659

7. Redskins - 641

8. Hawks - 641

9. Bills - 632

10. Raiders - 630

In 26 games we have scored 25 or more points 14 times.

Shady has missed or been ineffective due to injury at least 8 of those games (almost 1/3 of the games).

Sammy has missed or been ineffective due to injury in at least 13 of those games (exactly half).

We are exactly .500 over the last 26 games but I think overall, the arrow is pointing up. Being in the top 10 in the NFL in points scored over the span of more than a season and a half is noteworthy, and certainly no fluke.

Credit needs to be given to the coaching staff and the players that have stepped up at WR, the OL, RB, and certainly TT.

I bet were in the top 10 in points given up also!

I bet were in the top 10 in points given up also!

No we're out of the top 10 over the past 26. If i recall we're middle of the pack or low teens.

Also, 6 of our 10 games this season have been against top 10 defenses in pts/game. There is some more "context".

Seahawks #1

Patriots #3 (twice)

Ravens #5

Rams #5 tied with ravens

Cardinals #10

Edited by bobobonators

Jesus it's context. Maybe it is trending great. But just posting point totals mean nothing. What did we rack 30plus against a 2 win team.

Cool scored a lot of points in the same time still essentially .500 so where is the context because something is causing the fact we can't win double digit football games yet score a lot of total points when you add all the games up.

But hey that would be to hard to make a stat meaningful

We've been losing close games for like 20 years now. Figure out how to win those. Usually it means a QB who can come back - and a defense that can hold up. We've had teams failing on both sides both this year and in the past.

Every time we win one its - we turned a corner. But we never actually turn a corner. Just get lucky once in a while.

Edited by dneveu

We've been losing close games for like 20 years now. Figure out how to win those. Usually it means a QB who can come back - and a defense that can hold up. We've had teams failing on both sides both this year and in the past.

Every time we win one its - we turned a corner. But we never actually turn a corner. Just get lucky once in a while.

I agree that has been a consistent problem. We can never seem to have all 3 facets working together. Games the offense looks real good the defense stinks it up. Games where the defense looks real good the offense throws a stinker. I still think the arrow is in the right direction. Lets get healthy.

Top 10 in points scored is nice, but if we're at .500, it really doesn't matter. I'd rather be last in the league in points scored, and have a .750 winning percentage

I 100% agree with you but again the offense is just 1/3 of an NFL team.

The difference between a team like the Chiefs and the Bills for example? In the last 26 games the Bills have put up 25 or more points 14 times. We are 7-7 in those 14 games.

The Chiefs have put up 25 or more points 12 times during the same stretch. They are 11-1 in those games. That my friends is the difference between playoffs and .500.

Cry and complain all you want about this team, but since the start of 2015 the Buffalo Bills rank 9th in the NFL (and 3rd in the AFC) in points scored with 632 (or 24.3/game).

The top 10:

1. Panthers - 743

2. Patriots - 737

3. Cardinals - 716

4. Saints - 693

5. Steelers - 660

6. Falcons - 659

7. Redskins - 641

8. Hawks - 641

9. Bills - 632

10. Raiders - 630

In 26 games we have scored 25 or more points 14 times.

Shady has missed or been ineffective due to injury at least 8 of those games (almost 1/3 of the games).

Sammy has missed or been ineffective due to injury in at least 13 of those games (exactly half).

We are exactly .500 over the last 26 games but I think overall, the arrow is pointing up. Being in the top 10 in the NFL in points scored over the span of more than a season and a half is noteworthy, and certainly no fluke.

Credit needs to be given to the coaching staff and the players that have stepped up at WR, the OL, RB, and certainly TT.

BFD; 1999!

Top 10 in points scored is nice, but if we're at .500, it really doesn't matter. I'd rather be last in the league in points scored, and have a .750 winning percentage

My God - common sense on this board, you will be attacked!

BFD; 1999!

My God - common sense on this board, you will be attacked!

Just for those of us keeping score at home, you attack to OP with your post (which by the way, was not even a coherent response), and then IMMEDIATELY turn around and tell Dorkington that he's going to be attacked for "common sense on this board" (but in actuality the OP submitted a reasoned reply, agreeing with him).

Are you serious?

Just for those of us keeping score at home, you attack to OP with your post (which by the way, was not even a coherent response), and then IMMEDIATELY turn around and tell Dorkington that he's going to be attacked for "common sense on this board" (but in actuality the OP submitted a reasoned reply, agreeing with him).

Are you serious?

No worries.

Are you serious?

Yes

This is the Tyrod Paradox.

He puts up points but seems to suck doing so.

He seems to miss 5 easy TD throws every game and yet they often score a lot of points and common sense tells us that no QB is going to throw 6-7 TD's every game.

But before we tally opportunities lost..........we should be cognizant that this offense changes drastically with a pocket QB in there instead of the league's most dangerous threat to break contain.

The way opposing D's attack the Bills would be different and it's likely that the running game would suffer and there would be less free, college-open WR's running around.

That's fine if you have a very good pocket QB who can hit those small windows and throw WR open but those guys are scarce.

I'd draft one in the first round every year.......it's that important.......but the reality is that until you get a very good one to replace him you aren't likely to improve the situation.

It's not a simple matter of......as Chris Brown(of all people) put it......."a guy like Jeff Tuel could make that throw". Jeff Tuel doesn't get that opportunity in the first place.

Tyrod is frustrating as hell but a lot of the opportunities he misses are opportunities he's in great part created that others could not.

It's not surprising that Carolina is at the top of the list.......Tyrod is the poor man's Cam in the effect his athleticism has on his teams offensive output.

Edited by #BADOL

The sample size is large enough to be a good sign. In addition the Bills don't play in a division like the NFC south where Atlanta, New Orleans, and Tampa don't play much defense. Everyone plays bad teams so that narrative doesn't really hold.

The bigger issue is that they are supposed to be a "defense first" team that is 9th in points and .500. Rex and the defensive side has underachieved as the offense has overachieved. They need to get both sides pushing forward at the same time.