Republicans Control More Than 2/3 of State Legislatures

I mentioned this in another thread, but thought it deserved it's own, because it really is the most profound outcome of this most recent election cycle.

Republicans now control enough of the individual state legislatures that they can actually begin the process of amending the Constitution in meaningful ways which draw out any ambiguity from prior amendments, hard codifying the 1st and 2nd amendments, protecting them from leftist challenges regardless of who sits on the bench for the next few hundred years.

Religious protections, the right to bear arms, abortion...

This is where the culture war should be waged, and won.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree:

The GOP owns the state houses, the house, the senate, the supreme court, the white house.

They run it, they own it. The GOP can no longer blame liberals, blame BO, harp about celebrities and email servers. They must be chomping at the bit to FOCUS and enact their agenda.

You guys need to turn your enthusiasm toward the guys you elected...you have vanquished the opposition...lack of accomplishment can only be attributed to your team at this point.

Edited by baskin

I completely agree:

The GOP owns the state houses, the house, the senate, the supreme court, the white house.

They run it, they own it. The GOP can no longer blame liberals, blame BO, harp about celebrities and email servers. They must be chomping at the bit to FOCUS and enact their agenda.

You guys need to turn your enthusiasm toward the guys you elected...you have vanquished the opposition...lack of accomplishment can only be attributed to your team at this point.

Not a thread about Federal offices or election victories.

Exclusively about state legislatures and amending the Constitution.

Oh...we are sticking completely to the thread title....starting.....right.....NOW!

You're forgetting the biggest part of this. County seats. We finally had alcohol on ballots this year here in NC. After many years of still fighting and mccrory in office it took until now. My county can finally sell alcohol despite being republican for a long time

I mentioned this in another thread, but thought it deserved it's own, because it really is the most profound outcome of this most recent election cycle.

Republicans now control enough of the individual state legislatures that they can actually begin the process of amending the Constitution in meaningful ways which draw out any ambiguity from prior amendments, hard codifying the 1st and 2nd amendments, protecting them from leftist challenges regardless of who sits on the bench for the next few hundred years.

Religious protections, the right to bear arms, abortion...

This is where the culture war should be waged, and won.

You're treading on fragile ground here. Yes there are places that need to be protected from left wing activists, but where this 'culture war' conversation usually goes is to two areas that are quicksand for Republicans:

1) Abortion -- it's a settled issue and has been for decades. Swing voters are not interested in outlawing abortion. Let it go.

2) Gay rights/marriage -- America is no longer spooked by homosexuality. Any attempt to restrict homosexuals from doing what heterosexuals can do (specifically, get married), is a bad idea that will only continue to provide ammo for the left.

I get the frustration with the 'bakery is being sued because they didn't want to bake a gay wedding cake' stories and all the phony bull-- about what bathroom to use in NC, but much of that is noise and much of it can be erased with a stroke of the pen once Obama is gone.

I don't know. My legislature (Pennsylvania) is generally shadier than a peach orchard and accomplishes little but collect their own paychecks and bicker over who should sell alcohol in the state.

Anything that requires heavy lifting (pensions, taxes, funding schools and budgets) and these guys can't get on "recess" soon enough.

Giving them the task of amending the constitution is well above their pay grade. You might have to count Penn's Woods out of it.

You're treading on fragile ground here. Yes there are places that need to be protected from left wing activists, but where this 'culture war' conversation usually goes is to two areas that are quicksand for Republicans:

1) Abortion -- it's a settled issue and has been for decades. Swing voters are not interested in outlawing abortion. Let it go.

2) Gay rights/marriage -- America is no longer spooked by homosexuality. Any attempt to restrict homosexuals from doing what heterosexuals can do (specifically, get married), is a bad idea that will only continue to provide ammo for the left.

I get the frustration with the 'bakery is being sued because they didn't want to bake a gay wedding cake' stories and all the phony bull-- about what bathroom to use in NC, but much of that is noise and much of it can be erased with a stroke of the pen once Obama is gone.

Gay marriage in particular...worst that can happen is that the determination ends up back in the hands of the states, where it belongs. If the federal government tries to outlaw it, several states will sue and almost certainly win. If the federal government tries to reverse the federal regulations granting marriage privileges to same-sex couples, same thing - that'll get destroyed in the courts as a violation of due process. If the right tries to go full retard and floats a Constitutional amendment defining marriage...well, that has absolutely NO place in the Constitution, any more than a definition of "age of consent" or state residency requirements, and is pretty much doomed to fail.

Or should be. But the country just saw fit to choose a Cheeto dust golem over the Wicked Witch of the North, so what the hell do I know?

I could care less about Gay rights/marriage. My preferred solution is to get the government out of the marriage business completely.

As far as abortion goes, it's not a settled issue so long as a significant portion of the population believes it to be a murder of convenience.

I agree with you. I'd even go further that absent the fringe on both sides, it's not that important of a topic nationally. IMO, the fringe on both sides keeps it alive because there's money to be made off of being outraged constantly.

I'd be upset if we wasted a once in a lifetime Constitutional Convention on either topic.

I agree with you. I'd even go further that absent the fringe on both sides, it's not that important of a topic nationally. IMO, the fringe on both sides keeps it alive because there's money to be made off of being outraged constantly.

I'd be upset if we wasted a once in a lifetime Constitutional Convention on either topic.

What issues would you like to see advanced in this once in a lifetime window?

- A firm recodification of the freedoms or speech and religion, protecting them from assault from social justice warriors in the guise of some ill-conceived notion that equality should trump individual liberty.

- An absolute affirmation that the second amendment intended the individual right to bear arms, and that that right clearly confirms the right to acquire and own ammunition.

- The reassertion of States Rights

- The prohibition of state sponsored universal health care or single payer

- A firm recodification of the freedoms or speech and religion, protecting them from assault from social justice warriors in the guise of some ill-conceived notion that equality should trump individual liberty.

- An absolute affirmation that the second amendment intended the individual right to bear arms, and that that right clearly confirms the right to acquire and own ammunition.

Term limits, not that I think it will be easy to get passed. Edited by sodbuster

I could care less about Gay rights/marriage. My preferred solution is to get the government out of the marriage business completely.

As far as abortion goes, it's not a settled issue so long as a significant portion of the population believes it to be a murder of convenience.

Gov't can't get out of the marriage business unless we're going to completely change the basic foundations of the tax code. Now THAT would be something worthwhile to tackle which I'd be all fired up to support. Eliminate all income taxes.

On abortion, there's no question it's murder of convenience (at least for anyone who's even slightly honest with themselves), but it's still a settled issue. Nothing could hand it all back to the left faster than trying to take that on as a Constitutional amendment.

Restoration of fiscal sanity.

Social change comes from gradual evolution in the minds of the people. Politicians have always and will always be lagging indicators on social change.

Gov't can't get out of the marriage business unless we're going to completely change the basic foundations of the tax code. Now THAT would be something worthwhile to tackle which I'd be all fired up to support. Eliminate all income taxes.

On abortion, there's no question it's murder of convenience (at least for anyone who's even slightly honest with themselves), but it's still a settled issue. Nothing could hand it all back to the left faster than trying to take that on as a Constitutional amendment.

Restoration of fiscal sanity.

Social change comes from gradual evolution in the minds of the people. Politicians have always and will always be lagging indicators on social change.

The second is the best. A Balanced Budget Amendment for the federal government.

That's interesting, but the federal debt is the single biggest threat to our sovreignty, in my opinion.

No it isn't. The biggest threat to our sovereignty is loss of US prestige and power in global affairs.

US Treasuries are spiking a day after electing a man who many fear would start a global nuclear war.

if you're going to ban abortion I want free birth control to continue and be easier to get, as well as stairs to every OBGYN/pre-natal doctor just in case.

I'm all for the abolition of the IRS and the elimination of income taxes; but even if they exist, the tax break for married couples is in place because it rewards societally beneficial behavior by incentivizing the nuclear family. The non-nuclear family doesn't deserve the same incentives, as it produces worse results. Now, before anyone gets their panties in a twist, remember my preference is the elimination of the income tax; but if we're going to have it, lets remember the purpose of tax incentives.

The thing is, that if you have a strong moral inclination about the issue, as many conservatives, libertarian, and other right leaning people do; you can't leave it on the table. There were 1.2 million abortions performed in the United States in 2015, as compared to an estimated 15,000 deaths caused by ISIS. If you believe abortion is murder, then the first is a much larger problem that requires attention.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not naïve, and am aware that pushing this issue burns all the political capital the right has; which is why you make it what you do after you've already achieved your other benchmarks. Punch them in the mouth on taxes and the first two amendments, THEN grab them by the kitty on abortion.

I don't think that would be beneficial. Actually, it could wind up detrimental in the event of war.

Or the regular recession.

There is also the issue that unless there are specific ties to GDP that it doesn't limit government spending, it just limits borrowing. Very likely there would be nothing to keep congress from pushing the budget up to 30% GDP as long as the crippling taxes are that high as well.

Gay marriage in particular...worst that can happen is that the determination ends up back in the hands of the states, where it belongs.

That is where all of this crap belongs. At the state.

Repeal Obamacare. Reduce the childish regulations Barry set up for his legacy. Cut spending. Protect the borders. Build the military. Slash entitlements.

In fact, the first thing we should do is return unemployment benefits back to pre-Obama days.

First off your an idiot about hard codifying... no such thing that has already been done. If you want to clarify the first and second ammendment to meet your right wing paranoia needs, than you would need 2/3 of states to ratify such amendments..... reread your constitution.

2nd yes since The Repubs control that much though Im not sure what the Governor situation nor the approval process of an amendment is in each state i suppose it could be close but such amendments are not fillibuster proof in the US Senate

So unreasonable tin hat changes are unlikely to happen. Reasonable agenda items can, but you assume Trump would support this sort of nonsense and even Senate Republicans.

HRC had more votes than Trump so the backlash imo would be swift at even the attempt which would take more than 2 years.. But go ahead and dream...

On marriage I agree, but too many fees are collected and tax exemptions earned, since its about money not gonna happen, they are already dug in that pocket like a spring time dog tick.

Unsure of last one? Why limit an experiment that may or may not work... Let it fall under its own weight.. Gonna happen anyway... BTW the later is an abridgement of your second idea.... sshhhh...

That I could agree with as long as it includes the military.... Also would like the President to have a line item veto, term limits to 2 Senate terms and 4 House terms.

HRC had more votes than Trump so the backlash imo would be swift at even the attempt which would take more than 2 years.. But go ahead and dream...

Why do you folks keep bringing up the total vote count? Do you genuinely feel like it carries any weight? If you do, then look at a map of what counties voted for Trump and what counties voted for Clinton. That map is so red, you'd think he won in a landslide.

None of it matters. Only one thing matters. In the words of Barack Obama, "You lost. We won."

Wipe your tears and go back to work.

First off your an idiot about hard codifying... no such thing that has already been done. If you want to clarify the first and second ammendment to meet your right wing paranoia needs, than you would need 2/3 of states to ratify such amendments..... reread your constitution.

2nd yes since The Repubs control that much though Im not sure what the Governor situation nor the approval process of an amendment is in each state i suppose it could be close but such amendments are not fillibuster proof in the US Senate

So unreasonable tin hat changes are unlikely to happen. Reasonable agenda items can, but you assume Trump would support this sort of nonsense and even Senate Republicans.

On marriage I agree, but too many fees are collected and tax exemptions earned, since its about money not gonna happen, they are already dug in that pocket like a spring time dog tick.

Unsure of last one? Why limit an experiment that may or may not work... Let it fall under its own weight.. Gonna happen anyway... BTW the later is an abridgement of your second idea.... sshhhh...

That I could agree with as long as it includes the military.... Also would like the President to have a line item veto, term limits to 2 Senate terms and 4 House terms.

actually. Results showing trump had more. Soooo everything you just said is bull ****.

Ps Dod and Medicare make up 88-92% of the Budget so cutting anything else wont do much....Limiting the growwth of all these things will including Colas but the elderly dont like that and some things are political suicide.

Why do you folks keep bringing up the total vote count? Do you genuinely feel like it carries any weight? If you do, then look at a map of what counties voted for Trump and what counties voted for Clinton. That map is so red, you'd think he won in a landslide.

None of it matters. Only one thing matters. In the words of Barack Obama, "You lost. We won."

Wipe your tears and go back to work.

Red yes but close and she underperformed because well she had her issues and he was a better campaigner. Her side except women, werent motivated... Kinda like one team lost but the other team didnt necessarily win convincingly... check out the voting Hx in the states she lost...

Get the other team properly coached up and it flips.

actually. Results showing trump had more. Soooo everything you just said is bull ****.

Ah no wrong...http://www.cnn.com/election/results

So again folks here on right and left dont listen... There are many ways to accomplish your goals rather than shoving it down anothers throat. I wasnt happy with either choice and depending on the issue you could call me one or another side. Sick of the partisan crap and stupid statements.

Ps Dod and Medicare make up 88-92% of the Budget so cutting anything else wont do much....Limiting the growwth of all these things will including Colas but the elderly dont like that and some things are political suicide.

Red yes but close and she underperformed because well she had her issues and he was a better campaigner. Her side except women, werent motivated... Kinda like one team lost but the other team didnt necessarily win convincingly... check out the voting Hx in the states she lost...

So again folks here on right and left dont listen... There are many ways to accomplish your goals rather than shoving it down anothers throat. I wasnt happy with either choice and depending on the issue you could call me one or another side. Sick of the partisan crap and stupid statements.

you reap what you sow. Whether Kentucky 31 with orchard grass and ladino. Or obamas mouthshitspew

CNN is recalculating and it looks like trump will end up ahead

Kinda like one team lost but the other team didnt necessarily win convincingly... check out the voting Hx in the states she lost...

My point is, she lost. You can stare at the numbers however you want, and try to feel better because Trump didn't really win so much as she lost...but she still lost.

That's it. You don't get a medal for second place here, though, y'know, I give the Dems time before they try to make that a law.