Worst MNF ratings in 9 years

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even Mad dog Russo on Sirius said yesterday that Bills/Seahawks was the best...most compelling NFL game he's seen all year. Great catches, lead changes, special team plays by both teams, controversy, etc... It had it all. He was really impressed by the Bills and thought they got hosed big time.

The ratings have nothing to do with the game or matchup. Whether it's the elections or people are just bored of the NFL....ratings will be down no matter what. Even my son who loves sports won't sit through entire NFL games. He'd much rather stare at his fantasy scores on laptop or iphone and do other stuff. and watch highlights later.

Gone are the days where people like me (now in my early 50's) used to sit and watch 9 straight hours of football.. I used to do that in my 20's.. Now i watch the Bills and maybe some redzone. That's about it.

small market teams. to most NFL fans, the Bills are pretty much irrelevant.

Seattle - with a population of about 3.7 million - is the 15th biggest metro area in the US. How is that small market?

Seattle is bigger than these NFL cities: Minneapolis, San Diego, Tampa, Denver, St. Louis, Baltimore, Charlotte, Pittsburg, Cinci, KC, Cleveland, Indy, Nashville, Jacksonville, NOLA, Buffalo, Green Bay. And Oakland if you separate Oakland and the East Bay metro area from the San Francisco/peninsula metro area which has its own team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

Edited by hondo in seattle

Even Mad dog Russo on Sirius said yesterday that Bills/Seahawks was the best...most compelling NFL game he's seen all year.

The quality of the game after the fact has nothing to do with ratings. The Bills aren't a big draw, and even Seattle hasn't been a compelling team this year.

Even Mad dog Russo on Sirius said yesterday that Bills/Seahawks was the best...most compelling NFL game he's seen all year. Great catches, lead changes, special team plays by both teams, controversy, etc... It had it all. He was really impressed by the Bills and thought they got hosed big time.

The ratings have nothing to do with the game or matchup. Whether it's the elections or people are just bored of the NFL....ratings will be down no matter what. Even my son who loves sports won't sit through entire NFL games. He'd much rather stare at his fantasy scores on laptop or iphone and do other stuff. and watch highlights later.

Gone are the days where people like me (now in my early 50's) used to sit and watch 9 straight hours of football.. I used to do that in my 20's.. Now i watch the Bills and maybe some redzone. That's about it.

It has everything to do with the matchup. It was a good game though--but that doesn't matter if you don't tune in to find out.

Seattle's 3.7 million may be 15th in city size, but there isn't a national market for that team. Probably 5-10 times that number are Cowboys fans, for instance. It's a niche market with little national appeal on its own.

It has everything to do with the matchup. It was a good game though--but that doesn't matter if you don't tune in to find out.

Seattle's 3.7 million may be 15th in city size, but there isn't a national market for that team. Probably 5-10 times that number are Cowboys fans, for instance. It's a niche market with little national appeal on its own.

It's true. Even when they were really good, the Seahawks have been boring forever and have never had a national following. Seattle market is as big as Denver (and their team has been just as good the past ten years), but they have nowhere near the same national following as the Broncos. And of course there's Green Bay and Pittsburgh, both small markets with a huge national following.

I suppose that's true given the low ratings. But Seattle has become, under Pete Carroll, a perennial playoff team. And Russell Wilson has some national star power. I thought Seattle had enough appeal to draw more viewers than this. I was wrong.

The Seahawks - unlike the Bills but very much like Broncos or Saints, for example - are a state team. In the state of Washington you're kind of expected to be a Hawks fan.

Whatever the cause, it's a shame more people didn't tune in for a great game.

I wonder if the cord cutting trend has hurt MNF in particular. You have to have ESPN unless you are in a local market.

I think it was also available on twitter or snapchat or something, but i don't know how many people really want to watch football on their phones.

Edited by dneveu

I suppose that's true given the low ratings. But Seattle has become, under Pete Carroll, a perennial playoff team. And Russell Wilson has some national star power. I thought Seattle had enough appeal to draw more viewers than this. I was wrong.

The Seahawks - unlike the Bills but very much like Broncos or Saints, for example - are a state team. In the state of Washington you're kind of expected to be a Hawks fan.

Whatever the cause, it's a shame more people didn't tune in for a great game.

I agree with this.

Honestly, it's likely the Bills brought the viewership down. Seattle Pittsburgh for instance, would have been a bigger draw.

The Broncos' appeal is much greater than that. They are THE team for the entire Western US, outside of California and Washington (and arguably Arizona).