MMQB: Bills-Seahawks: Bad calls and more bad looks

YoloinOhio

In a season of ratings dips & prime-time duds, we finally get a great MNF--and its marred by an officiating debacle

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/08/bills-seahawks-monday-night-football-blown-officiating-calls-richard-sherman-dan-carpenter

Both mistakes were confirmed by Dean Blandino, NFL vice president of officiating. He tweeted during the game, correcting the missed unnecessary roughness call almost immediately. Later he discussed both errors on NFL Network. Were going to address the situation with our crew, he said after the game finished.

But how?

The problem, of course, is that the botched calls had the potential to affect the outcome of the game, albeit not as directly as the the Fail Mary or Batgate. But if Carpenters 49-yard field goal hadnt been taken away on the erroneous delay of game penalty, the Bills would have had three more points, in a game decided by just six. Perhaps then, when they were driving deep into Seattle territory in the final minute of the game, they would have needed just a field goal to tie it up and send it into overtime. Instead, they needed a touchdown and were handed the loss when Tyrod Taylors fourth-and-goal pass to Robert Woods in the end zone fell incomplete.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the truth.

The product is **** and they don't care as long as the money keeps flowing.

Godell is killing the league.

Goodell is just the lap dog. It is Kraft, Jones, McNair and Snyder that are the chief culprits. There are others, but these guys have never been told no in their life and they run the league. They wanted the Bills out of Buffalo and they wanted that team in LA and there will be more.

Goodell is just the lap dog. It is Kraft, Jones, McNair and Snyder that are the chief culprits. There are others, but these guys have never been told no in their life and they run the league. They wanted the Bills out of Buffalo and they wanted that team in LA and there will be more.

Truth.

Its pathetic. Listen for me its simple. If you miss a bang bang play fine. It happens. But how in the WORLD do you get the Sherman fg call wrong?! Nothing else was going on in the field at that point. And then they follow it up with the spotting/play clock debacle. Someone should be fined or suspended on the officiating side. But they wont.

Its pathetic. Listen for me its simple. If you miss a bang bang play fine. It happens. But how in the WORLD do you get the Sherman fg call wrong?! Nothing else was going on in the field at that point. And then they follow it up with the spotting/play clock debacle. Someone should be fined or suspended on the officiating side. But they wont.

im sure the debate was "could he hear the whistle, or was he just going off of carpenters body language (ie kicking)" and then they got overwhelmed by the moment and things spiraled out of control for the crew.

If the NFL can tweet during the game that the officiating was wrong, it can fix the calls during the games.

how do you fix that more than a few seconds after?

im sure the debate was "could he hear the whistle, or was he just going off of carpenters body language (ie kicking)" and then they got overwhelmed by the moment and things spiraled out of control for the crew.

how do you fix that more than a few seconds after?

Huh? You fix it on the spot, from the league office in real time.

The thing I'm wondering is if any of the officials bothered to blow his whistle or not. If not, why not?

There was a clear unabated rusher and that means they should blow the whistle, killing the play, before someone is seriously hurt.

"We're all about safety."

I thought I heard a whistle watching it live but I could be wrong.

The thing I'm wondering is if any of the officials bothered to blow his whistle or not. If not, why not?

There was a clear unabated rusher and that means they should blow the whistle, killing the play, before someone is seriously hurt.

"We're all about safety."

I thought the ref even said "unabated", wow that makes it 3 F'ups in that sequence...no whistle, no personal foul, no clock reset...

What pisses me off most is Seattle always seems to be on the right side of major erroneous calls. This year alone, they've won two games mostly due to a horrible call by the official in Seattle. If that was in Buffalo, I bet it would have been an unnecessary roughness

exactly and knowing you screwed up that call that badly, there is NO WAY you call that taunting call on woods. Absolutely he was taunting, then he realized what he did and made it seem like he was calling first down. that said, the defender swiped at the ball after the play was dead, woods clearly was doing that in reaction, but in light of the bad calls, the refs absolutely have to no-call that as a mea culpa. absolutely ridicuious.