Bills Defense - average after all the changes (corrected)

San-O

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The defense blew against Miami too.

But I blame that on Dareus more than anything.

Still don't understand how 6 points through 2.5 quarters suddenly turned into 22 points in 1.5 quarters, huh?

Gee...what might have happened?

eJTw7AF.png

Five punts in 22 plays from the offense, may be?

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

If you watch the games you would know that this defense does a lot of things well. Gilmore and the rest of the secondary just isn't good enough. We would be better served with a veteran corner who is less talented than Gilmore, but has heart and is more willing to play a more physical style. The loss of Aaron Williams was just too much to mask the secondary's deficiencies.

There are 10 other players on offense besides the QB bub.....Just in case you forgot.

But thanks for trying to make this another Tyrod thread because we love those.

Dave you and I both know that all manner of excuses are made for the golden child and the defense is often the scapegoat

Well, if we look at indicators that are a bit more telling than simple yards per game...

13th in the NFL in points per game allowed

9th in takeaways

1st in sacks

The key is the takeaways. During their 4 game win streak they dominated via the takeaway. The past two weeks, with zero turnovers, the D hasn't been able to stop anybody.

Dave you and I both know that all manner of excuses are made for the golden child and the defense is often the scapegoat

Not sure why these things are either/or. The D has been very disappointing the last two games and TT has been bad too.

Still don't understand how 6 points through 2.5 quarters suddenly turned into 22 points in 1.5 quarters, huh?

eJTw7AF.png

I missed that game, but is that correct? Their longest drive that day was 3:06?? :o

eJTw7AF.png

Shhh your missing the Symphony of the game

Its interesting how this post is made after a blow out loss to the Pats (who are also running over everyone else now that Brady is back)

Actually the Bills' defensive ranking didn't change all that much as a result of the Pats' game. The Bills entered Week 8 as the NFL's 18th-ranked defense, allowing 360 yards per game, per Mike Rodak. So, if anything, the post was a week late. Even some Bills' defensive players are calling their squad mediocre. I don't see how anyone can honestly complain about the substance of the post. The defense is good against bad teams and bad against good teams. In other words, average or mediocre. Not top shelf as always promised by the bloated one.

I missed that game, but is that correct? Their longest drive that day was 3:06?? :o

Coloration is mine, chart is Pro Football Reference's.

And yes, on an 80 degree day in Miami, the opening drive that lasted a whopping 3:06 was the most the offense would muster.

But, not, that cluster of four long drives in the second half by Miami had nothing to do with the supremely unproductive streak that was happening on the other side of the ball.

Fans who can only digest one concept at a time will confuse this as denial that:

1. Jay Ajayayayay was great
  2. Our defense struggles

In fact, both are true.

In fact, both were exasperated to the extent of a loss because the offense left virtually no time between their repeated pairings.

Its interesting how this post is made after a blow out loss to the Pats (who are also running over everyone else now that Brady is back)

You could go back and normalize all the other teams that have played a very good qb too... but I might ask you to likewise adjust for the game against the injured 3rd stringer, the vegan, the guy that was benched for geno etc...

We haven't really faced a murderers row. We've been inconsistent which is relatively predictable with a staff like this and a team constructed like this.

The offense sucking didn't help the defense.

I simply said the defense sucked that day. They did. If your point is the main reason the defense sucked is because the offense couldn't stay on the field, I completely disagree.

Drives 1-6 (not counting garbage before half): 6 points on 129 yards.

Drives 7-11: 22 points on 268 yards.

The defense went from perfectly fine and stout to a sieve.

What changed?

What was happening on the other side of the ball during this sudden deluge? Answer: 3 punts in 13 plays.

How can you look at 6 points and 129 yards through 2.5 quarters and say with a straight face "the defense sucked all day?"

Drives 1-6 (not counting garbage before half): 6 points on 129 yards.

Drives 7-11: 22 points on 268 yards.

The defense went from perfectly fine and stout to a sieve.

What changed?

What was happening on the other side of the ball during this sudden deluge? Answer: 3 punts in 13 plays.

How can you look at 6 points and 129 yards through 2.5 quarters and say with a straight face "the defense sucked all day?"

There are good defenses who have offenses with worse 3 and out percentages. We don't have one of them

The offense sucking didn't help the defense.

I simply said the defense sucked that day. They did. If your point is the main reason the defense sucked is because the offense couldn't stay on the field, I completely disagree.

It's sure looks like it's gotten to the point that Bills fans are now using the lack of offense for the excuse that the defense stinks! Or it's all the QB's fault that the defense has become mediocre!

It really is getting ridiculous the lengths some fans will go to defend the bloated one*.

And whatever we do we had better not bring up what happened to the defense in 2014 because that was an abomination of our imaginations!

That was with Gilmore and McKelvin, Brooks and Graham too. That year the team was #3 in yards passing allowed. #1 in TD passes allowed. #6 in interceptions. Against Brady, Cutler, Rivers, Fitz, Stafford, Bridgewater, Geno & Vick, Alex Smith, Tallywhacker, Hoyer & Manziel, Peyton Manning, Derek Carr and Aaron Rodgers who was having an MVP season.

We know Rex Ryan can coach defense...just not in Buffalo it seems. He will get it right by 2019 though, no worries.

*I stole that name from IronyAbounds :D

There are good defenses who have offenses with worse 3 and out percentages. We don't have one of them

There are two: Denver and Minnesota.

Both have struggled when their respective offenses have.

Three and outs have killed this team over the last 24 games.

Anyone who can see past their prejudice for Rex Ryan understands this.

There are two: Denver and Minnesota.

Both have struggled when their respective offenses have.

Three and outs have killed this team over the last 24 games.

Anyone who can see past their prejudice for Rex Ryan understands this.

And they are both great defenses who seem to be able to cope. That was the point.

Having a struggling offense isn't killing Zimmer or Wade. It's killing Rex.