Fire the FO

gr8billsfan

There is no way Ted Thompson is leaving Green Bay for Buffalo. Not a prayer.

McCloughan was the power behind building that San Fran team and Jed York hires the Head Coaches.

Have a link for any of this or is it just an opinion?

I see no reason as to why a man would turn down a promotion and more money to become team president of just the football side of the team. It's also clear the team wouldn't ever replace Mark Murphy. It seems Murphy might already have a succession plan for when Thompson retires as it has been rumored that they would hire Elliot Wolf the son of former Packer GM Ron Wolf to become the new GM. Elliot is currently the director of football operations for the Packers in the player personnel dept.

In that list of top five men, I would think Thompson might be the only guy you could pry away from his current team.

In regards to Baalke and Harbaugh while York was involved in the hiring I do believe it was Baalke who targeted him as his primary choice for new HC and went after Harbaugh to convince him to join the 49ers as he was being courted by many NFL teams.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5999744

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Jim-Harbaugh-is-named-49ers-head-coach-3242178.php

Same goes for general manager Trent Baalke, who landed his primary target just three days into the GM job.

"I met this man about six or seven years ago ... and I fell in love with his energy," Baalke said. "He had passion. It really became evident that this guy had the 'it' factor. He had what we were looking for."

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what the crappy organizations would do and what we are used to. Good organizations see it through and that is what we are now. Switching coaches doesn't put us in a better position. We are 2 years in..actually 1.5 and some want changes, again follow the browns, bears and bucs model? No thanks - let it build 1 1/2 years BLOW IT UP....go root for the Browns

You started this P.O.S. thread, own it instead of being a whiney millennial. Kirbys is the only one worth reading here.

If it's a POS then don't come here Debbie Downer.

I'm stating the obvious of firing the FO. But sure if you love the status quo of the Bills losing every year then you'd be upset if someone wanted to change that.

It's like you're apart of the bad fan base that loves the sorrow of losing.

The problem is that so many people have been accustomed to them losing that some fans don't even want to think outside the box of going to the extreme of "Firing the FO". Yes I said it and i still back it up.

Ain't no one whining except you whining about this thread.

That's all fine BUT, whenever we have had a HC, GM etc. vacancy, there are not a lot of qualified people who are hot to come to BUF. That does not mean I'm satisfied on where we are, but in hindsight,it seems to be the reality.

Yeah i agree. The franchise has seen it change GM's HC's OC's etc. Whomever is in charge needs to attract a BIG time coach, not talking Ryan big as in physically, I meant someone who has had continual success. The Ryans haven't had any except when they're behind a better HC than themselves.

The Bills ought to clean house top to bottom. Not bottom up because the same people at the top, except the owners, are there primarily and have continued the image of the Bills looking worse and worse with no hope in sight.

Fix that you fix the organization.

Have a link for any of this or is it just an opinion?

I see no reason as to why a man would turn down a promotion and more money to become team president of just the football side of the team. It's also clear the team wouldn't ever replace Mark Murphy. It seems Murphy might already have a succession plan for when Thompson retires as it has been rumored that they would hire Elliot Wolf the son of former Packer GM Ron Wolf to become the new GM. Elliot is currently the director of football operations for the Packers in the player personnel dept.

In that list of top five men, I would think Thompson might be the only guy you could pry away from his current team.

In regards to Baalke and Harbaugh while York was involved in the hiring I do believe it was Baalke who targeted him as his primary choice for new HC and went after Harbaugh to convince him to join the 49ers as he was being courted by many NFL teams.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5999744

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Jim-Harbaugh-is-named-49ers-head-coach-3242178.php

Same goes for general manager Trent Baalke, who landed his primary target just three days into the GM job.

"I met this man about six or seven years ago ... and I fell in love with his energy," Baalke said. "He had passion. It really became evident that this guy had the 'it' factor. He had what we were looking for."

It is opinion on Ted Thompson of course it is. Nobody has ever asked him "would you leave the Green Bay Packers for the Buffalo Bills to be VP of Football Operations?" But if they did I'd put every penny I own on the answer being "no."

When was the last time a deal like that happened in the NFL? They don't.

Even if Baalke appointed Harbaugh - I am 100% convinced it was York's choice but there you go - he also appointed Tomsula and Chip Kelly... two of the worst Head Coach hires in recent times. So at best he got lucky on one Head Coach hire and drafted a poor collection of players after his first draft. He is a terrible GM. Bottom 5 for me, no doubt. Much, much worse than Whaley.

Edited by GunnerBill

It is opinion on Ted Thompson of course it is. Nobody has ever asked him "would you leave the Green Bay Packers for the Buffalo Bills to be VP of Football Operations?" But if they did I'd put every penny I own on the answer being "no."

When was the last time a deal like that happened in the NFL? They don't.

Even if Baalke appointed Harbaugh - I am 100% convinced it was York's choice but there you go - he also appointed Tomsula and Chip Kelly... two of the worst Head Coach hires in recent times. So at best he got lucky on one Head Coach hire and drafted a poor collection of players after his first draft. He is a terrible GM. Bottom 5 for me, no doubt. Much, much worse than Whaley.

While I agree that it might be a supremely difficult task to attempt to obtain Thompson as team president for the Buffalo Bills as he is so entrenched in Green Bay. The man was only making 2.5 mill before his extension in 2014 and he is 63 years old. However, Green Bay is currently 4-3 tied with Detroit and one game behind the Vikings. The Packers haven't been to the SB since 2010, and should they falter this year while not making the playoffs it might become doable to make a change.

The Packers made the playoffs at 8-7-1 in 2013. :blink:

Another aspect is if the Packers team president is unhappy with the current head coach in Mike McCarthy (who appears to be joined at the hip to Thompson) because the team hasn't been to another SB the last 6 years. If the team wants to replace McCarthy I'd think that Thompson might just want to go elsewhere and take McCarthy with him.

I'd say perhaps hire Elliot Wolf as the new GM but the Bills have gone through enough learning curves with rookie head coaches and rookie GM's. I'd really prefer the team hire a team president with a history of success in being an NFL GM.

The only deal I can think of involved GM to team president was Bill Polian being hired away from Carolina as GM and promoted to team president of the Colts.

If it's a POS then don't come here Debbie Downer.

I'm stating the obvious of firing the FO. But sure if you love the status quo of the Bills losing every year then you'd be upset if someone wanted to change that.

It's like you're apart of the bad fan base that loves the sorrow of losing.

The problem is that so many people have been accustomed to them losing that some fans don't even want to think outside the box of going to the extreme of "Firing the FO". Yes I said it and i still back it up.

Ain't no one whining except you whining about this thread.

Yes. Yes you are whining. You are whining that we aren't winning right now, so fire everyone. It's like a damn temper tantrum, and its embarrassing.

Fans like you always do this, and you are the same ones who demand we throw the 2nd and 3rd string QBs into the fire because "what if?". What if we cleaned house and we were great!? What if we drafted a QB every year and magically found the right one who emerged from the other half dozen QB's getting reps to take the starting role? What if Whaley was smart enough to draft Brady in round 6? We should try that!

What if, what if, what if. You guys are playing a game of hail mary's because you don't like the status quo. No you don't have great ideas, you are an impatient :censored: because a GM 6 GM's removed from the start of the streak, and a coach 8 coaches removed from the start of the streak, haven't won the god damn super bowl in the first 1.5 years. :censored:

Edited by What a Tuel

If Green Bay fire Thompson it is a different scenario altogether but I do not see them being that dumb.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/if-packers-miss-playoffs-could-major-changes-be-coming-013224354.html

The Packers are now .500. They’re a third-place team. They might be a game out of first place, but it doesn’t feel like that right now. The NFL is a results-based business, and unless the Packers turn things around in the second half of the season, head coach Mike McCarthy could be in some trouble.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/if-packers-miss-playoffs-could-major-changes-be-coming-013224354.html

The Packers are now .500. Theyre a third-place team. They might be a game out of first place, but it doesnt feel like that right now. The NFL is a results-based business, and unless the Packers turn things around in the second half of the season, head coach Mike McCarthy could be in some trouble.

McCarthy, sure. I just don't see Thompson going.

McCarthy, sure. I just don't see Thompson going.

The thing is those two are very close and Thompson may just want to leave if McCarthy is fired or choose to leave rather than fire him.

Either way, McCarthy is a super bowl winning head coach who knows how to win and if he is fired he won't be unemployed for very long.

Yea I really don't understand his take with this.

Most fans aren't patient in any city, but who the !@#$ cares they don't make the decisions.

Except when they do. Some owners more than others let fans drive their organizations. If the fans put up billboards to fire the coach or wear bags over their heads at home games, you better believe they do. A 24 hours sporting news cycle just exacerbates the issue.

its the same management team, minus Wilson and Littman, and plus Pegulas. Probably a net loss, other than Pegula's monetary resources and desire to win. Still do not have people in place who know how to put a winning program together. In all sports, success comes from the top-down and having the right people, resources, and structure in place. The maddening thing, is the Bills have the hardest box checked for a small market team: resources.

I'm good with letting everything ride until the end of 2017. If its the same story or a step back is taken... Let's try something that hasn't been attempted here since 2001. I really cant imagine 2 1/2 more seasons stuck in this mud/purgatory.

• 4 weeks later...

Because we had a lead at one point and played ok for stretches

You realize the quote you're referring to was over a month ago right?

Nonetheless the Bills should fire the FO and coaching staff Or the Pegulas' take responsibility for not knowing a thing about football before hiring a moronic HC like Rex.

Kim should stick to interior design.

LOL! Yeah or at least use her interior design skills to redesign the Bills FO & HC. If not, then yeah maybe interior designing for a house is better suit. I mean really Terry should have realized that Rex was a baphoon, failing to recognize that shows his awkwardness and unfamiliarity in the NFL.

its pretty bad.

They won't win **** with Rex and Tyrod here.

They are in desperate need of a head coach and a QB.

Yeah, Cut TT now, don't pay him ****, i dont want another couple years of him not being able to feel pressure, having tunnel vision, not knowing how to throw the ball away, and the continual lack of accuracy for a QB. I mean **** Kelly could still throw a better ball then this guy who's in his "Prime"

Edited by gr8billsfan