EJ as Closer

uticaclub

Kind of an out of the box idea, but what if we made EJ the closer. Where he comes in at the end of the 4th to pull out games. In his second game he had led a come from behind TD drive against the Panthers and should of had another one against the Falcons. Tyrod can do alot of things, one of them isn't putting the team on his back and pulling out a victory in the 4th, he's not that kind of QB.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of an out of the box idea, but what if we made EJ the closer. Where he comes in at the end of the 4th to pull out games. In his second game he had led a come from behind TD drive against the Panthers and should of had another one against the Falcons. Tyrod can do alot of things, one of them isn't putting the team on his back and pulling out a victory in the 4th, he's not that kind of QB.

Okay. But EJ is that kind of QB?

Uh....no

You must've missed the end of the 49ers game. 0/2 with 1 bouncing off a linebacker's chest.

Interesting Stat of the day. EJ Bad pass percentage in 2014 (17.64%) Tyrod currently (22.4%) and last year was (17.62%).... Numbers support my statement

Whats Funny and sad at the same time. EJ is just as accurate as Tyrod and he gets killed for it, but Tyrod gets excuses made for him

Not funny at all. It's incredibly annoying. The EJ ship has sailed, that's for sure, but he's not nearly as bad as most people think.

Interesting Stat of the day. EJ Bad pass percentage in 2014 (17.64%) Tyrod currently (22.4%) and last year was (17.62%).... Numbers support my statement

get back to me when you check turnovers

Here's a post I made before the season started, check the TD/Turnover part

OK

EJ Manuel Tyrod Taylor

16 Games Started 14 Games Started

19 Passing TD's 20 Passing TD's

4 Rushing TD's 4 Rushing TD's

1.44 TD's per Game 1.71 TD's per Game

15 INT's 6 INT's

4 Fumbles Lost 1 Fumble Lost

1.19 Turnovers per Game 0.5 Turnovers per Game

1.21 TD/Turnover Ratio 3.43 TD/Turnover Ratio

~211 Passing Yards per Game ~217 Passing Yards per Game

6.47 Yards per Attempt 7.99 Yards per Attempt

59.12% Completion Rate 63.68% Completion Rate

298 Rushing Yards (18.6 per Game) 568 Rushing Yards (40.6 per Game)

78.5 QB Rating 99.4 QB Rating

7 Games under 30 Attempts (5-2 record) 9 Games under 30 Attempts (8-1 record)

9 Games 30+ Attempts (1-8 record) 5 Games 30+ Attempts (0-5 record)

Overall Record: 6-10 Overall Record: 8-6

0 300+ Passing Yard Games 0 300+ Passing Yard Games

0 3+ Passing TD Games* 4 3+ Passing TD Games

*EJ did have a 3 TD game against Jax in 2013 if you count his rushing TD

The notion isn't as silly as some are making it out to be. Manuel has factually let game winning drives and comebacks for the team. Taylor has been terrible at it. With that said, this isn't baseball. I think quarterbacks need time to get into the flow of games to be able to more quickly read what defenses are giving up and what they're not. I can't fathom a situation where you would play a guy up until 5 minutes left in the game and then bring in a new QB to try to win the game when you're down by a score. It's a novel concept none the less.

EJ lifetime completion % 59%, Yards/Attempt: 6.45 Int% 2.9%

TT lifetime completion % 62% Yards/Attempt: 7.47 Int% 1.6%

EJ lifetime completion % 59%, Yards/Attempt: 6.45 Int% 2.9%

TT lifetime completion % 62% Yards/Attempt: 7.47 Int% 1.6%

Nice try though completion % doesn't mean Accuracy

get back to me when you check turnovers

Here's a post I made before the season started, check the TD/Turnover part

I know EJ had more Turnovers. However a turnover can be the result of a Bad pass, a tipped ball that the WR dropped. I was talking accuracy and found it interesting that TT and EJ have every similar Bad Pass numbers Hence interesting stat of the day

Neither is a starting caliber QB at this level.

EJ does seem to do better when he is unscripted.

Whatever magic/ spark we saw two summers ago from TT is clearly gone, like Edwards after his concussion.

This is why we need to lose out and draft a QB

Neither is a starting caliber QB at this level.

EJ does seem to do better when he is unscripted.

Whatever magic/ spark we saw two summers ago from TT is clearly gone, like Edwards after his concussion.

This is why we need to lose out and draft a QB

We're 4-3 and you want to "lose out" and draft a QB? Whadafuq?

You guys are looking a gift horse in the mouth.

I see nothing that points to Taylor being a bad closer. He needs improvement with establishing passing rhythm, needs to establish the timing game and needs to hit more medium-distance passes, sure, but he most definitely passes the eye test for this fan and has yet to dissolve at the last minute under pressure. He scored in like 20 seconds last week at the last minute, and made a two point conversion. He's also elite-level when it comes to not giving the ball away.

Teams that use two QBs have never been successful in this league.