Is Tyrod anti-clutch?

GG

There are many things to like about the kid, and he clearly is not a horrible QB who will cost you games.

But it's also clear that he is not a QB who will win games for you. All aspects of the team have to line up ideally for him to come away with a W. In a league of parity though, usually the QB separates the winners from losers and there are always a handful of games where the QB needs to put the team on his back and will them to victory.

Somebody shared a tweet after last week's game that said it was the first time as a Bills that he won a game they trailed in. That wasn't technically correct, as the first was the Titans game last year. That game also counts as the only fourth quarter comeback that TT engineered, although it doesn't qualify for Pro Football Reference comebacks because Bills scored early in the quarter.

So, I looked at TT's series with Bills down by one score or less with 2-4 minutes to go in the game (so hardly desperation time). Here are the sad results:

NE1 - 0 FD - 0 Yds - 1 INT

NE2 - 2 FD - 32 Yds

KC - 1 FD - 19 Yds

Phi - 0 FD - -2 Yds - 1 INT

Balt - 0 FD - -8 Yds

Miami - 0 FD - 0 Yds

Six opportunities, zero clutch drives.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, its the one thing I don't like about him...he comes up small at the biggest times of the game, going back even to last year with few if any exceptions.

However in this game, I'm not sure how much we can pin on him. Top 4 WR's out, Shady out, OL not blocking worth a damn, how much can he do?

Once again

No Sammy

No 2nd WR

Pass protection patetic

NO running game

Tyrod is a system qb....the system failed him

john

Do you read posts before responding? This is over six different games over his entire Buffalo career, with most having the full complement of WRs and RBs

He panics like a child. Hopefully he will grow out of it.

Titans game last year is the only game I recall winning on the final drive, down.

His game needs to mature.

Imo

It wasn't the final drive.

There are many things to like about the kid, and he clearly is not a horrible QB who will cost you games.

But it's also clear that he is not a QB who will win games for you. All aspects of the team have to line up ideally for him to come away with a W. In a league of parity though, usually the QB separates the winners from losers and there are always a handful of games where the QB needs to put the team on his back and will them to victory.

Somebody shared a tweet after last week's game that said it was the first time as a Bills that he won a game they trailed in. That wasn't technically correct, as the first was the Titans game last year. That game also counts as the only fourth quarter comeback that TT engineered, although it doesn't qualify for Pro Football Reference comebacks because Bills scored early in the quarter.

So, I looked at TT's series with Bills down by one score or less with 2-4 minutes to go in the game (so hardly desperation time). Here are the sad results:

NE1 - 0 FD - 0 Yds - 1 INT

NE2 - 2 FD - 32 Yds

KC - 1 FD - 19 Yds

Phi - 0 FD - -2 Yds - 1 INT

Balt - 0 FD - -8 Yds

Miami - 0 FD - 0 Yds

Six opportunities, zero clutch drives.

This^

I read just fine

This board is very reactionary......this post was made based on this last game

I think that showing stats from six separate games over two years does not qualify as reactionary, but as demonstrating a pattern.

but but TT let them to a TD on the closing drive...there was no INT, or turnover, so how is he anti-clutch?

One score or less. Pay attention.

His game isn't built for "clutch" drives. It's built for big plays and game management. He makes big plays with his legs, arm, and improvisation. He rarely allows his team to get beat in the turnover battle. That combination is enough for him to be the best or among the best post playoff drought QB's we have had. It is enough to make the playoffs and even win a Super Bowl so long as he has an incredible complimentary squad. He is not to ever going to be a franchise guy in a traditional sense. He will always struggle to win with his arm and be consistent enough in execution to sustain game winning drives in clear passing situations. Not worth 20 million+ in my opinion. At the same time we will likely hurt as a result of his departure more than we gain. Blaming him as often as we see lately would indicate to me most people think he is hurting is. He isn't hurting us. His predecessor likely will hurt us. That said he isn't helping a great deal either. He provides a chance to win every game. That's what he does.

I think asking Tyrod to come back when we had a lead ALL GAME.....then our D allows 2 4th quarter scores is asking a lot.

He is a system qb.....this system is not biult to allow for that to happen

Again I say

WHo is he throwing to?

Six games. Not just today. Six games over two years. Three first downs.

I think asking Tyrod to come back when we had a lead ALL GAME.....then our D allows 2 4th quarter scores is asking a lot.

He is a system qb.....this system is not biult to allow for that to happen

Again I say

WHo is he throwing to?

And what was his excuse the other five times in the OP? Greg Roman?

Tyrod,to me, is the epitome of a game manager. Hes smart,fast, and plays to his strengths. Hes not going to put the team on his back and win a game all on his own. And hesjust not a pure passer.

How can anyone pin this loss on him? Our weapons are extremely depleated. Our offensive and defensive lines both were thoroughly beat. We lost this game in the trenches.

Anti clutch? No. He just dosent have the arm to take over a game. For this Bills team to win, they need to be firing on all cylinders.