NFL.com: Michael Silver on Dareus and ADHD

Rebirth in Buffalo
Marcell Dareus returns to the Bills right as his team hits its stride -- and he's ready to contribute.

A year ago, I hung out in Buffalo with Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus, detailing his tragedy-filled road to stardom for a feature on "NFL GameDay Morning."

One of the many challenges faced by Dareus that we weren't able to include in the piece was this: He struggled with severe, undiagnosed ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) throughout his childhood, often provoking the open ridicule of his classmates as he unsuccessfully attempted to focus in academic settings.

Last week, a day after Dareus rejoined the Bills following a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's policy on substances of abuse, we revisited the subject in a lengthy telephone conversation. And while Dareus stressed that he wasn't using his condition as a rationalization for his predicament, he said he took advantage of the four-week break to implement fundamental lifestyle changes he hopes will prevent him from making costly decisions in the future.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebirth in Buffalo

A year ago, I hung out in Buffalo with Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus, detailing his tragedy-filled road to stardom for a feature on "NFL GameDay Morning."

One of the many challenges faced by Dareus that we weren't able to include in the piece was this: He struggled with severe, undiagnosed ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) throughout his childhood, often provoking the open ridicule of his classmates as he unsuccessfully attempted to focus in academic settings.

Last week, a day after Dareus rejoined the Bills following a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's policy on substances of abuse, we revisited the subject in a lengthy telephone conversation. And while Dareus stressed that he wasn't using his condition as a rationalization for his predicament, he said he took advantage of the four-week break to implement fundamental lifestyle changes he hopes will prevent him from making costly decisions in the future.

Nice to read something like this.

Thank you for getting this out to us.

Lets hope he is getting the care he needs finally.

You're all about the OBD yard sale, huh?

Cost benefit analysis. Dareus will f up again, it's not even unreasonable given the emotional trauma he's endured. I don't think football is his focus, and maybe it can't be given his history.

The front seven has been functioning well without him. If you can entice another team who is sold on his talent to bite, do it, Tim Murray like. Grab a first and draft a less emotionally fraught, less cannabis dependent DT. Dareus is self medicating and it has nothing to do with physical football pain, and it won't stop. No life coach or selected periodical pr blitz will prevent Puff Daddy's next episode.

Tyrod, has merit but is not worth 95 large. John Murphy has Bills fans repeating 'the Bills are built to run by design' canard, when it is really the Bills have no choice but to run as Tyrod is ill equipped to do what rookie qbs are already doing this year - that is, slinging the rock everywhere. I don't like the odds of the Bills riding the defense to Super Bowl glory. You're going to need to go bombs away more than once en route, and nothing I've seen give me the confidence to say the Bills are capable of doing that consistently, jv wrs notwithstanding.

Until you have the guy at qb, Sammy is irrelevant, so heal him and deal him. Get your 1st back and draft a qb. Or go balls out and try to get someone like Stafford (Marcel, Sammy, Gimore, whatever). In the Bills case, a playoff birth is only a symbolic if you have no legit chance to contend.

Nothing matters but the qb. Nothing.

QBs are the foundations for championship teams. You would have to be smoking with Marcel to think the SB is within this teams grasp. Picks not spliffs.

Perhaps, but then you can end up like the Saints.

Perhaps, but then you can end up like the Saints.

I have no grasp on the state of the Saints, but paying 30 mil to a proven 37 year old hof qb is as suspect as paying a journeyman 27 mill unless you plan on immediately contending.

Then again, if you don't have a qb, you have nothing.

I have no grasp on the state of the Saints, but paying 30 mil to a proven 37 year old hof qb is as suspect as paying a journeyman 27 mill unless you plan on immediately contending.

Then again, if you don't have a qb, you have nothing.

Saints paid the going rate for a proven franchise QB, and then ended up in cap jail. They've been pretty awful for the last few years because of it.

Cost benefit analysis. Dareus will f up again, it's not even unreasonable given the emotional trauma he's endured. I don't think football is his focus, and maybe it can't be given his history.

Cost benefit analysis says he stays.

The Bills trade Dareus and they eat $14.2M of amortized signing bonus plus whatever fracton of this year's $6.4M amortized bonus is left at the time of the trade. Even if a team trades us a 1st round pick, that's a pretty durn expensive 1st round pick given that 1st rounders have like a 50% success rate. Meanwhile, we need a trade partner that somehow is not cognisent that the guy they're trading for is 1 f up away from not contributing for 10 games, hasn't played yet this season, and will cost them $9.75M fully guaranteed next year. Not sure how many teams are lining up to trade a 1st rounder for that.

Usually if a team trades a 1st, it's for a guy they feel very confident is the missing piece that will lead them to immediate playoff success - not exactly the role profile of a guy 1 spliff away from a 10 week vacation and currently on injury report.

The benefit to the Bills is that when Dareus does play, he can be a dominating player. We aren't getting the signing bonus back if we trade him, but if he f's up, we don't pay him salary, he has to repay us part of his signing bonus, we get cap space back, and there may well be language in his contract allowing the Bills to get some or all of his amortized bonus back and part ways with him if he's gone for a year (commonly is).

Saints paid the going rate for a proven franchise QB, and then ended up in cap jail. They've been pretty awful for the last few years because of it.

I actually thought Brees shook them down for more than the going rate - in fact, set the new "Gold Standard" (or should that be "Black and Gold Standard").

Only Luck is paid more per year, with Flacco and Rodgers lagging a couple million per year behind.

I used to think the same way as you about Brees impact on the Saints cap, but studying their cap shows that Brees is only a part of what put the Saints in Cap Jail. They currently have $42M in dead money from players they signed to big contracts, then cut - which is basically twice as much in dead cap as they're paying Brees.

Signing a bunch of free agents to top-$$ contracts with a lot of guaranteed money (recently benched Jairus Byrd would be one example) then not having them produce performance value per $$, is the biggest part.

Rebirth in Buffalo

For someone who is hyperactive he seems pretty lackadaisical in interviews.