A few thoughts about the Rams Game (Tribute to BillFromNYC)

Virgil

Phew. Let's just all take a minute and exhale and then get the hell out of LA. This is a game we find a way to lose. It was ugly, we got beat in spots, but it's still a W in the win column. I'm going to be a little more cynical with these points, but it's more about looking forward for corrections than not appreciating the win. With that, in honor of BillFromNYC....

3 - Robey-Coleman was an absolute spark plug for this team and the reason we were able to pull this game out. His burst to intercept that pick-6 and his emotion from that point on seemed to fuel the defense. He sure woke me up and got me back in the game. Props to this kid and everything he did for us.

7 - Rex vs Fisher. Please ignore my screen name while I say this as I've been starting to give Rex some credit lately. HOWEVER, I think Fisher owned Rex and the defense for most of this game. Keenum was completely passes all over the place and they weren't pinpoint throws. The Rams offense did a great job of using our over-commits against us. Most of the WR's were wide open and moved around the field. They did a great job of moving the pocket. I would have loved to see Rex have gone to a more basic defense. Keep one safety, keep Keenum in a tight pocket, and have him make the hard throws.

9 - Special Teams are making me more and more nervous. Another game, another miss by Carpenter. The decision to bring some of the kick-off's out of the endzone made me nervous. Credit to their punter, but field position really kept the Rams in this game early. I also have to give credit for stopping them on the fake punt. It was the game. That alone should be enough for positive marks. But I don't think it should have ever gotten to that point.

Welcome to the team Justin Hunter. Not much talk about the Brown's in the middle, no disrespect intended. Smile, take the win, now get home. See some of you at the game next week.

GO BILLS!!!!!!

3 - Nickell is a baller, all 5'8", 165 lbs.

7 - Posted elsewhere, but I took down my FIRE REX sig. But I reserve the right to add it back if Rex's rectocephaly comes back from remission.

9 - We should be trying out kickers this week. Last time I posted that, I took a lot of heat, but that game was freaking TIED before the NRC pick six. Carp already cost us the Ravens game, how many more before we find a kicker?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

- So glad to get out of there with no injuries. Was very worried about Greggo the Doosh's D laying some questionable shots on guys the whole game

You werent the only one brehski. I spent most of the hits on TT looking like :ph34r:

This attitude is completely unacceptable. How can you possibly maintain an upbeat attitude after we travel cross country, put up 30 against a 3-1 team with a good D in our third straight win after an 0-2 start, minus our best receiver...

Seriously, I'm not dismissing some of the concerns raised in this and other threads but the overall negativity is astonishing. I'm with you Rico, any win is a good win. Had we lost all we would have heard is how good teams find a way to win the ugly games.

You and Rico nailed it breh! :thumbsup: Between the negativity here and on the Jets forums I was checking out, the negativity froze my CPU in the middle of a shout convo.

Phew. Let's just all take a minute and exhale and then get the hell out of LA. This is a game we find a way to lose. It was ugly, we got beat in spots, but it's still a W in the win column. I'm going to be a little more cynical with these points, but it's more about looking forward for corrections than not appreciating the win. With that, in honor of BillFromNYC.... Smile, take the win, now get home. See some of you at the game next week.

GO BILLS!!!!!!

1. Thanks for the write ups breh!! :beer:

2. But I heard Shady is only a shell of his former self? Heard it rite here so how could that be? :lol: Man IDK what we would do witout Shady MFer is a gamer in every sense of the word. Got the uncanny jukes, cuts, and up hill speed when he gets into space, wish he woulda got a TD he def deserved it. This is also the 1st season we have a FULLY healthy Shady when hes not battling minor injuries. Hes out best player on Offense by a lot. Hes making those "Cut Shady cuz of the bar fight! Cut Shady cuz he is old and slow! Cut Shady cuz he likes to bang hot women at parties! Cut Shady because I dont like his attitude Cut Shady bc I think Gillislee or Karlos can get the same production/yardage based off conjecture stats" people look reeeeaaaalllllyyyyyy stupid rite now :nana:

3. It was good to see Robey bounce back from last year. He already has 2 Touchdowns, and you could tell how hungry he was for that 2nd INT. Gotta love players that play the game with passion. Mario Williams could learn something from Nikell.

5. The guy is in his 2nd year and like I was telling RLBillz and MAJbreh, he needs to get into a rhythm and get comfortable to have a good game. I hope Lynn realizes this and take steps to make sure we get Tyrod rolling early so he can sling it all game. Hope he works with Woods a lot more in practice they really need to get their chemistry up. Goodwin and Woods cant be droppin those passes on 2nd n 3rd downs.

10. A win is a win and we got outta there without any injuries. Ill take it, thats a double win :thumbsup:

Justin Hunter is a welcome addition to a very weak WR team, hopefully he can pick up the playbook quickly.

One thing you didnt mention? LORAX!!! MFer was a BEAST! Week 5 was Lorax's week. 3 Sacks 6 Solo tackles!!! He balled out ridiculously! He already has more Sacks and Tackles then Supa Mario had ALL LAST SEASON! B-) Lookin at you ScottLaw breh!

Edited by Marty McFly

One thing you didnt mention? LORAX!!! MFer was a BEAST! Week 5 was Lorax's week. 3 Sacks 6 Solo tackles!!! He balled out ridiculously! He already has more Sacks and Tackles then Supa Mario had ALL LAST SEASON! B-) Lookin at you ScottLaw breh!

I'm trying to ration myself on the Lorax love. I've said in other threads that he's my favorite story on defense. I just love how he plays.

Just trying to spread the love.

The Bills of 2005-15 would have come out flat and lost that game.

It was not the prettiest but credit to TT, keeps not turning the ball over and doing OK without a decent WR on the field (seriously...Powell and Goodwin are his 2nd WRs!!!). This team needs to keep playing 20-25 PPG on offense this season and then fix the offense next year.

In Whaley we trust.

The Bills ground out a great road win. The D just keeps coming and they will punch you in the mouth. Shady carried the O. He is very valuable to this team. I miss the added dimension Sammy brings and don't see anyone else that can step up to fill his shoes consistently although it was nice to see some passes in the middle to a TE.. If a team can shut down the run can TT and the JAG receiving corps win games?

Edited by bmur66

#7) Jeff Fisher is a complete boob with his fake FG on 4th down and 5 from the Rams 23.

The Rams OC is also a boob for calling for deep passes on 3rd down and one!

Taylor didn't put up great numbers but made plays when it counted! McCoy was brilliant even with his injured hand and he looked like Barry Sanders out there. The Bills D also did their jobs and that pick six put the game away.

BTW, McCoy had a measly 8.3 YPC AVG!

Edited by Nihilarian

#7) Jeff Fisher is a complete boob with his fake FG on 4th down and 5 from the Rams 23.

The Rams OC is also a boob for calling for deep passes on 3rd down and one!

Taylor didn't put up great numbers but made plays when it counted! McCoy was brilliant even with his injured hand and he looked like Barry Sanders out there. The Bills D also did their jobs and that pick six put the game away.

BTW, McCoy had a measly 8.3 YPC AVG!

That deep pass on 3rd and 1 when they desperately needed a drive and points... I turned to my wife right then and said "We're going to win because the Rams want to lose".

Regarding your point about special teams...........I think the Bills need to get more aggressive in trying to block punts.

I think the book is out that the Bills aren't going to attack the football on punts and opponents are just laying into these punts and flipping the field on the Bills and diminishing the momentum created by some pretty good defensive work.

Perhaps they are afraid of penalties but you can't just let these teams consistently drop 50 yard net punts on you all day.

It's funny, I noticed the same thing yesterday - there were a couple of times when the Bills had players in a position to block the punt, and they slowed up and rounded back into coverage instead of going for the block. This team is snakebitten from questionable calls they've gotten for two plus decades (no coincidence, the Brady Era), and I agree that they're trying to avoid penalties.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

While the play of Gilmore has been questionable I've also wondered about the secondary calls. We've consistently played off man coverage in many situations this year; leading to easy completions on out and slant routes. Personally, I'd like to see more press coverage. Would be nice if someone breaks down the all22 to show the reason for the off coverage.

Got to say something about the atrocious clock management (or lack thereof) at the 4 minute mark. The Bills could have run off a minute, instead they snap it early and throw an incomplete pass. Ugh. But a win is a win. And as we all know, "it's hard to win in this league."

3-2 and a game out of the top spot, can't complain about that.

Near the end of the game, we are leading & they get a 5 yd penalty. 1st & 5. We run for 2-3 yds. Then we pass. Why? Run the ball when you are looking to burn clock, especially when you only have to go 5 yds for a 1st down. Go Bills

Yeah, kinda'.......Hekkers is like 10th but there are tons of good punters now.......it's their golden age with tons of guys averaging around 43 yards net........but the 8 punts the Bills faced the past two weeks netted about 9-10 yards each over those punters season averages.

I mean, I know some people don't pay attention but that is ridiculous.......anytime teams play you and their players get 25% more efficient than normal there probably is a reason............and like I said I think it's teams knowing the Bills aren't going to attack the football.

The time to do it is in a game in which they have a big enough lead and feel pretty confident in winning. Simply get a couple on film, and other teams will have to gameplan for it. Otherwise, I think trying to block punts isn't a good play. It more often seems to result in a penalty than a block (as we saw yesterday).

That deep pass on 3rd and 1 when they desperately needed a drive and points... I turned to my wife right then and said "We're going to win because the Rams want to lose".

the deep pass happened because they knew they were going for it on fourth. Speaking of which, that should have been a giveaway to the Bills coaching staff, and perhaps it was.

6 - Gilmore watch. I feel like I have an internal meter that sways every game in regards to whether or not I want to extend Gilmore. This game, not so much. I keep hearing people say that think he's playing to not get injured. While I don't think that any player is that consciousness on the field, I get the sentiment. He's not playing at a level to deserve top 5 money. I'm going to give some leeway because of my issues with the scheme today (more on that later), but he's also not making the tackles. Overall, outside of Arizona, I can't remember really hearing his name mentioned in a good way.

Was at the game today. I live in LA (5 years, and SD before that. Buffalo my first 20ish years, including the glory days).

I noticed that Gilmore was involved in a lot of plays, and Darby just wasnt. I turned to my Bills-fan friend and said, I feel like they are actually picking on Gilmore. . . . to the extent you can "pick" on anyone with Keenum as your QB. I must have noticed Gilmore like 20 times. Darby, not at all.

Which is a factor in favor of letting Gilmore walk if he wants too much money (is Eugene Parker his agent perchance) since Darby seems to be actually better, in the eyes of the league. Plus, Whaley has said repeatedly that you need to draft at least one CB every year.

-It was a sea of Bills fans. It was truly awesome.

-Rams fans were decent folk. If it were a Raiders game, maybe notsomuch.

-Reggie Bush's homecoming to the place that seems to hate him. My friend noticed that on that one play where bush hurdled the defender, the PA announcer said "LeShawn McCoy with the carry." Was that on purpose? Hmmm

The time to do it is in a game in which they have a big enough lead and feel pretty confident in winning. Simply get a couple on film, and other teams will have to gameplan for it. Otherwise, I think trying to block punts isn't a good play. It more often seems to result in a penalty than a block (as we saw yesterday).

The threat is important though.

Gragg was their punt block guy....he had the speed and the length to get in the way of the football without hitting the punter.

That is 80 yards of field position the last two weeks.........I think it's fair to translate 80 yards lost into at least 6 points lost........if you want to run and play D you need to find a way not to give up that much more field position on punts than the average team.

When you are a threat to rush the punter you hasten the punter AND the snapper and hopefully decrease the hang time and increase the return-ability of that punt.

Teams fear punt blocks.......they are huge momentum swinging plays....so not even trying is an unnecessary concession because if you let a punter really boom a punt high you aren't getting a return anyway so the extra blockers are worthless.