The Bills' Offense: Comparing Numbers with Roman and Lynn

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Our NFL rushing title was a little misleading because of Tyrod's yards scrambling (some were designed runs but a small percentage)

Still, Roman's "block down" system seemed to work well with the big boys and he deserves some credit there. He is a perfect example of a good coordinator who wasn't a great game caller.

This is a huge aspect of coaching I never hear the talking heads mention. Game calling is an entirely separate thing from coaching and game prepping. Look at how good Pettine was at calling the D, or how Chan calls offenses--some guys have a knack for it and some dont.

Also, you have to be up in the booth to call the offense. Its a joke to think you can see the field properly from the sideline. Keep it goin Lynn!

One thing I have noticed which is an increas in slant routes one of the easiest passes and it has worked

This caused New England to drop lb into the holes or fake blitz drop back Hightower almost got an int in the game doing this

But it created more holes in the running game as well as other pass routes

It's good to see the numbers broken down like this and how it's actually translating to my eyes when watching the last two games.

We are running an offense that plays to the strengths AND the weaknesses of the personnel we have vs. force-feeding one style.

Don't screw it up, Fat Twins......

6.5 extra first downs per game!

And folks wonder why the defense looks so much better

Complementary football the key for Bills at quarter pole

quarter-1-recap-.jpg

Buffalo's opportunistic play on defense and improved play on third down on offense helped them even their record at 2-2 at the quarter pole of the 2016 season.

The high number of 3 and outs were absolute killers.

6.5 extra first downs per game!

And folks wonder why the defense looks so much better

To me, this was never more obvious than in the JETS game. People piled on the Defense, but failed to recognize the sheer enormity of Time of Possession which has a cumulative effect on the Defense when the Offense can't provide not only a breather, but an ability to gather themselves and make adjustments.

To me, this was never more obvious than in the JETS game. People piled on the Defense, but failed to recognize the sheer enormity of Time of Possession which has a cumulative effect on the Defense when the Offense can't provide not only a breather, but an ability to gather themselves and make adjustments.

I just think back to the first Jet possession. We had them stored on 3rd, but for a phantom penalty. Fitz was running for his life. IIRC, a fumble or two that they recovered. There seemed to be one flukey big gain, plus the penalty on third ... And we lost the edge.

I just think back to the first Jet possession. We had them stored on 3rd, but for a phantom penalty. Fitz was running for his life. IIRC, a fumble or two that they recovered. There seemed to be one flukey big gain, plus the penalty on third ... And we lost the edge.

Also, true - but that's just one series...and a long one for the reasons you stated. However, had the Offense come out and sustained a drive after the first big bomb to Goodwin, and then continued to at least equal out the T.O.P., I truly believe the Defensive numbers would look MUCH different. In other words, I don't believe the Defense was that much worse, as it was more a cumulative effect of mental and physical fatigue over the course of the game because the Offense couldn't keep the ball.

The biggest change is the running game.

Blocking looked better from the outset. Shady's running hard. Tyrod's been let loose a little more. Felton's back to his old form.

It seems that we're back to Roman's original offense, actually. Where did he get lost? Did his offensive identity change due to Tyrod's development? Was it the same thing that happened in SF with Kaepernick?

we essentially did to the pats what had been happening to us. which is a nice turnaround.

lynn will have to show sustainability as DCs get some film and pick up his tendencies but its a great start.

we essentially did to the pats what had been happening to us. which is a nice turnaround.

lynn will have to show sustainability as DCs get some film and pick up his tendencies but its a great start.

Utilizing the middle of the field vs. NE in the passing game was a change from what was shown just the week before vs. ARZ. Let's hope he continues to show new wrinkles each week to keep DCs off balance.

Lynn getting kudos from Mike Mayock.

@MikeMayock

Bills had exc plan for NE- nice mix of wildcat, option and efficient pass game...73 off snaps to 52..0 turnovers

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/783663656278102016

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Another improvement that I appreciate from Lynn is the play calls coming in faster. Under Roman the huddle broke so late that the snap was just before the play clock expired with the occasional burned timeout because they just weren't ready to play.

FP

Being in the booth with all the assistants would probably help with that.

Felton has been very key for us, he's creating cutback lanes outside and overall blocking like a mad man.

Our NFL rushing title was a little misleading because of Tyrod's yards scrambling (some were designed runs but a small percentage)

Still, Roman's "block down" system seemed to work well with the big boys and he deserves some credit there. He is a perfect example of a good coordinator who wasn't a great game caller.

This is a huge aspect of coaching I never hear the talking heads mention. Game calling is an entirely separate thing from coaching and game prepping. Look at how good Pettine was at calling the D, or how Chan calls offenses--some guys have a knack for it and some dont.

Also, you have to be up in the booth to call the offense. Its a joke to think you can see the field properly from the sideline. Keep it goin Lynn!

Chan did fine while he was here.

I'm going to say the biggest issue with Roman was calling the game for a developing qb. As with Kap, he seemed to want the qb to make a leap from a running qb to a qb he wasn't (pocket passer) too quickly and didn't adjust his play calling when it didn't work. The season is short, the time to work on the passing game is when you have the game in hand not when it is undecided.