Best/Worst Concerts You've Ever Seen

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - I can't believe you were in the middle of that horrible night!

You know, I had not thought of that Who concert night in years, and it bothers me in a very different and deeper way now. It was always horrific, but years have a way of changing perspectives. One of my buddies, a big strong guy, went down and it took one of us on each side to get him back up. He said he tripped over something, but we thought nothing of it then beyond "lets get the F&%k out of this mess". Looking back, I wonder if it was someone who died by getting crushed standing up, then fell when space allowed. People did NOT get trampled to death. The city tried to blame the kids on those damn drugs, but toxicology proved otherwise. I could write a short story on that nightmare, but for now I'll settle for boring some of you in the sake of therapy. Thanks Edited by Augie

What's with all the Beach Boys hate? They're early stuff is pure rock and roll in the likes of Chuck Berry, Little Richard etc. Great harmonies, and Brian Wilson is musical genius.

My favorite song of those early days is Surfing USA. I didn't know until I watched the credits roll for Love and Mercy (which you have to see, if you haven't) that it's a Chuck Berry song!

best two- Metallica in 1984? at Agora Ballroom Hartford in front of maybe 300 people. And I have seen the Ramones many, many times- always a great show! My most memorable one was in the late 80's at Toads Place. I brought a dozen of my friends from an uppity town, and it was culture shock for them. They loved it! We owned the pit(strength in numbers). One of my friends lost his shoes in the pit, borrowed another pair, and then lost them. Between us we lost a few pairs shoes, a wallet, and a hat. After the show when it started to clear up, they swept up the floor. There were many people sorting through a huge pile trying to find something lost. And to top it off, after spending some time trying to locate missing shoes, we walked out the side door and I literally bumped into Joey Ramone. He is one tall dude. Simply put, the Ramones were an amazing band!

Those last few sentences should unforunately all be in the past tense.

You know, I had not thought of that Who concert night in years, and it bothers me in a very different and deeper way now. It was always horrific, but years have a way of changing perspectives. One of my buddies, a big strong guy, went down and it took one of us on each side to get him back up. He said he tripped over something, but we thought nothing of it then beyond "lets get the F&%k out of this mess". Looking back, I wonder if it was someone who died by getting crushed standing up, then fell when space allowed. People did NOT get trampled to death. The city tried to blame the kids on those damn drugs, but toxicology proved otherwise. I could write a short story on that nightmare, but for now I'll settle for boring some of you in the sake of therapy. Thanks

Anything you're writing on this, I'm reading! Always wanted to hear from somebody who was there. It was such an emotional time in my life. We were seeing our beloved Who for the first time on December 4th, and then this shocking thing happens the night before.

My favorite song of those early days is Surfing USA. I didn't know until I watched the credits roll for Love and Mercy (which you have to see, if you haven't) that it's a Chuck Berry song!

That movie was incredible. My girlfriend was a music major so she loved how detailed they went into the composition and orchestration of the songs.

It wasn't actually a Chuck Berry song. But when Chuck heard it, he realized it had the same tune as Sweet Little Sixteen. He sued them, and they basically settled on him getting a writing credit for the song.

Anything you're writing on this, I'm reading! Always wanted to hear from somebody who was there. It was such an emotional time in my life. We were seeing our beloved Who for the first time on December 4th, and then this shocking thing happens the night before.

Now I just keep thinking about this.... Cincinnati is, or at least was back then, a very conservative town. I went to Xavier University where we would have movie nights from time to time. The plans to show Last Tango in Paris ended when Prosecuter Simon Leis wrote the President of the school explaining he had not allowed the film to be shown in the city years earlier, and didn't want the school to show it. Imagine, the city was more uptight than the Catholic University!

Why is this relevant? Because the city came out right after these kids died and basically blamed the kids and the concert and led people to believe these rock & roll punks must have been on drugs. Toxicology proved otherwise (with a few very minor exceptions). THAT pissed me off! The truth was, the publicly owned facility had only two ticket gates open and foolishly they were right next to each other causing the most backup possible. I know there were only two gates open because after my friend went down we said "screw this!" and walked around the entire arena looking for another gate. There were NONE. I remember the 2 guys taking the tickets were ancient (probably my age now haha) and there was zero sense of urgency to get these people in out of the freezing rain to see the show they thought had started (when the lights went down and Quadraphenia began). The city tried to blame the kids, and anyone with a clue blamed the city. I still resent that.

It has been eluded to in this thread, but I thought I would chime in. The Carrier Dome is a horrible, horrible concert venue. Sound is absolutely dreadful. I spent good money on some tickets to see Billy Joel there a couple years ago. It was cool to see him, but the concert was just bad.

I will never go to a concert in any venue that size again. Not worth it. I typically go to 2,000 seat venues with GA on the floor get in line early so I can be on the rail. I love being front row but also a guy my age needs to lean on the rail. 3 hours in line then another 3 hours on the floor is murder. :lol:

I will never go to a concert in any venue that size again. Not worth it. I typically go to 2,000 seat venues with GA on the floor get in line early so I can be on the rail. I love being front row but also a guy my age needs to lean on the rail. 3 hours in line then another 3 hours on the floor is murder. :lol:

I saw Buddy Guy at House of Blues Houston. I took the day off from work, and was the very first person there. Got there probably about 4, with the doors at seven.

Then I see people forming a second line. "Idiots." I thought. Turns out, if you spent $25 in their gift shop (which by the way, just sold stuff that said House of Blues, nothing for the artist), you get priority access, so I was still like 2nd or third row.

That movie was incredible. My girlfriend was a music major so she loved how detailed they went into the composition and orchestration of the songs.

It wasn't actually a Chuck Berry song. But when Chuck heard it, he realized it had the same tune as Sweet Little Sixteen. He sued them, and they basically settled on him getting a writing credit for the song.

It was SOOOO good..........They must have taken some short cuts on the credits, because it just said Surfing USA - Chuck Berry.................I also saw that it said Sloop John B - Brian Wilson.............When, it's actually an old folk song from the Bahamas or something like that.

I saw Buddy Guy at House of Blues Houston. I took the day off from work, and was the very first person there. Got there probably about 4, with the doors at seven.

Then I see people forming a second line. "Idiots." I thought. Turns out, if you spent $25 in their gift shop (which by the way, just sold stuff that said House of Blues, nothing for the artist), you get priority access, so I was still like 2nd or third row.

Yes that happened with me at Widespread Panic but I was still on the rail just off to the right side of the stage. What I really hate is people that show up late and just happen to see someone in the front of the line. Most people however are looking for the second tier off the floor rail not against the stage that I prefer.

Now I just keep thinking about this.... Cincinnati is, or at least was back then, a very conservative town. I went to Xavier University where we would have movie nights from time to time. The plans to show Last Tango in Paris ended when Prosecuter Simon Leis wrote the President of the school explaining he had not allowed the film to be shown in the city years earlier, and didn't want the school to show it. Imagine, the city was more uptight than the Catholic University!

Why is this relevant? Because the city came out right after these kids died and basically blamed the kids and the concert and led people to believe these rock & roll punks must have been on drugs. Toxicology proved otherwise (with a few very minor exceptions). THAT pissed me off! The truth was, the publicly owned facility had only two ticket gates open and foolishly they were right next to each other causing the most backup possible. I know there were only two gates open because after my friend went down we said "screw this!" and walked around the entire arena looking for another gate. There were NONE. I remember the 2 guys taking the tickets were ancient (probably my age now haha) and there was zero sense of urgency to get these people in out of the freezing rain to see the show they thought had started (when the lights went down and Quadraphenia began). The city tried to blame the kids, and anyone with a clue blamed the city. I still resent that.

Sounds like how the whole Hillsborough thing went to down in England. The venue, etc. totally screwed up and they blamed the fans for being drunk, etc.............Most Brits are still as mad as you are about that.

I knew that the fans thought the show had started for some reason, but didn't know they had turned the lights down and started to play Quad.

A night later, my friend was driving me nuts ordering stuff at a stand when I knew they were coming on. I didn't hear them say "This is for the friends we lost last night." And, then I heard Substitute starting, and I started jumping up and down telling him "Let's Go!!!!..................And, a cop came over and made me settle down. (I swear the security was one for every fan that night!)

Sounds like how the whole Hillsborough thing went to down in England. The venue, etc. totally screwed up and they blamed the fans for being drunk, etc.............Most Brits are still as mad as you are about that.

I knew that the fans thought the show had started for some reason, but didn't know they had turned the lights down and started to play Quad.

A night later, my friend was driving me nuts ordering stuff at a stand when I knew they were coming on. I didn't hear them say "This is for the friends we lost last night." And, then I heard Substitute starting, and I started jumping up and down telling him "Let's Go!!!!..................And, a cop came over and made me settle down. (I swear the security was one for every fan that night!)

I never really thought about them moving on and the shows coming up. Someone made the right call with plenty of help on hand to keep things smooth. It really would be hard to do things worse than the way things were run the night before.

Best was the Tragically Hip at the Roseland Theater in Portland , Or. Great smallish intimate venue. That was 1998 I believe. Worst was a Alice Cooper concert at the old CNE Stadium in Toronto that got canceled last minute. There was a mini riot after. Mid 70s can't remember exactly.

I think that was the summer of 79. My brother and I were at that show. The opening act actually played, then Alice cancelled and the riot ensued. Wow. Forgot all about that one.

I thought that concert was way to obscure for anyone else to go to. I can't remember who the opening act was.

Just saw Jason Isbell at the Syracuse Landmark Theater this week. Beautiful set design, clear, crisp sound and a really wonderful demonstration of song writing and performing. Absolutely great show. Would love to go see him again on this tour.

Josh Ritter opened and did an excellent job - especially when the sound cut out and he and his band did three acoustic numbers from the very front of the stage. When the sound cut out, someone from the crowd yelled "Go acoustic - we'll be quiet!" And they did - and they were. Really great night all the way around.

"Is that all you can do, Buffalo?"

"Last time we were in Buffalo, y'all were a lot louder than this!"

Didn't see the show, but I can totally hear him saying that. They probably also sang one line of "Gotta lose your mind in Buffalo, Rock City!"

No. He actually pandered to the city of "darien lake" the whole time.

Whoa, what a double bill. Jason Isbel is just killing it these past couple years, so glad he was able to clean himself up, still would love to see him back with DBT for some awesomeness. Josh Ritters latest album is one of my favorites of the year, was supposed to see him this summer, but mother nature had other plans.

Just saw Jason Isbell at the Syracuse Landmark Theater this week. Beautiful set design, clear, crisp sound and a really wonderful demonstration of song writing and performing. Absolutely great show. Would love to go see him again on this tour.

Josh Ritter opened and did an excellent job - especially when the sound cut out and he and his band did three acoustic numbers from the very front of the stage. When the sound cut out, someone from the crowd yelled "Go acoustic - we'll be quiet!" And they did - and they were. Really great night all the way around.

One of the best recently: sturgil Simpson - he is technically listed as a country act, but his band is incredible and they rock And roll - match with his song writing and vocals, God damn its a musical performance!! His guitarist "little joe" is a treasure

Also, someone mentioned black crowes always putting on a great show - agreed they did but obviously that ship has sailed - so now go check out Chris Robinson Brotherhood - wow do those boys love to make live music together

One of the best recently: sturgil Simpson - he is technically listed as a country act, but his band is incredible and they rock And roll - match with his song writing and vocals, God damn its a musical performance!! His guitarist "little joe" is a treasure

Also, someone mentioned black crowes always putting on a great show - agreed they did but obviously that ship has sailed - so now go check out Chris Robinson Brotherhood - wow do those boys love to make live music together

As I've mentioned I typically find myself on the rail and usually at The Fox in Oakland. I've befriended several photographers that are at most of the jam band shows I see. Stuart Levine is the band photographer for CRB. I've not seen them but he obviously speaks very highly of them.

http://stuartlevinephotography.com/

So many shows it's hard to think back.

Best:

- Iron Maiden Powerslave Tour - Maple Leaf Garden (1984?) - Maiden always had a huge stage show - they had a giant Eddie in the background with laser eyes, all sorts of Egyptian stuff to cover the amps, a 10' tall Eddie who came out onto the stage - Maiden always puts on a show

- Dio - Sacred Heart - Buffalo Aud (85?) - Like Maiden, a show was a whole show, not just music. Stage was a giant dragon with Vinny's drum kit on its back. Had wings, laser eyes, breathed fire. RJD came down and battled it with a laser sword during Sacred Heart. Show opened with him appearing in a giant crystal ball and breaking out of it - lot of fun.

- Pantera/Suicidal Tendencies - Saratoga Winners Club (90?) - Small place and Pantera was awesome. When ST came out the lights went down and the opened with Can't Bring Me Down. Mike says "What the Hell is Going On Around Here"?, the lights come up and chaos erupts. I get hit hard in the pit, look over and realize it is Phil Anselmo, mixing it up with the crowd after playing their set - dude is solid.

Testament/Nuclear Assault - Toronto (91?) - Played in some old theater with the seats removed so floor was GA. Guy jumped over the rail of the balcony onto the amp stack while Nuclear Assault was playing -= everyone, including the band, watched as he did a Superfly Snooka into the crowd below. When people saw he was OK people started jumping from the balcony down to the crowd below - utter insanity but quite the experience.

Metallica - Tokyo, Japan (94?) - last night or world tour. I was in Tokyo on business and had to see the show. Strange seeing the band with a non English-speaking crowd - I was the only person singing along until the da-da-da part of The Memory Remains - then it was a thunderous crowd singing along! Afterwards people politely filed out and within 30 minutes you would never have know Metallica had played - no fires, no fights - weird...

Worst:

Soundgarden - NYC - Night of the OJ slow speed chase. Band played in an armory on the East Side. Place was about 120 degrees inside and had the worst acoustics I have ever heard - sound literally got sucked into the ceiling and you couldn't hear anything. Band was playing but you could barely tell what song - just awful. Not the band's fault - I love Soundgarden, but that was just garbage....

So many shows it's hard to think back.

Best:

- Iron Maiden Powerslave Tour - Maple Leaf Garden (1984?) - Maiden always had a huge stage show - they had a giant Eddie in the background with laser eyes, all sorts of Egyptian stuff to cover the amps, a 10' tall Eddie who came out onto the stage - Maiden always puts on a show

- Dio - Sacred Heart - Buffalo Aud (85?) - Like Maiden, a show was a whole show, not just music. Stage was a giant dragon with Vinny's drum kit on its back. Had wings, laser eyes, breathed fire. RJD came down and battled it with a laser sword during Sacred Heart. Show opened with him appearing in a giant crystal ball and breaking out of it - lot of fun.

- Pantera/Suicidal Tendencies - Saratoga Winners Club (90?) - Small place and Pantera was awesome. When ST came out the lights went down and the opened with Can't Bring Me Down. Mike says "What the Hell is Going On Around Here"?, the lights come up and chaos erupts. I get hit hard in the pit, look over and realize it is Phil Anselmo, mixing it up with the crowd after playing their set - dude is solid.

Testament/Nuclear Assault - Toronto (91?) - Played in some old theater with the seats removed so floor was GA. Guy jumped over the rail of the balcony onto the amp stack while Nuclear Assault was playing -= everyone, including the band, watched as he did a Superfly Snooka into the crowd below. When people saw he was OK people started jumping from the balcony down to the crowd below - utter insanity but quite the experience.

Metallica - Tokyo, Japan (94?) - last night or world tour. I was in Tokyo on business and had to see the show. Strange seeing the band with a non English-speaking crowd - I was the only person singing along until the da-da-da part of The Memory Remains - then it was a thunderous crowd singing along! Afterwards people politely filed out and within 30 minutes you would never have know Metallica had played - no fires, no fights - weird...

Worst:

Soundgarden - NYC - Night of the OJ slow speed chase. Band played in an armory on the East Side. Place was about 120 degrees inside and had the worst acoustics I have ever heard - sound literally got sucked into the ceiling and you couldn't hear anything. Band was playing but you could barely tell what song - just awful. Not the band's fault - I love Soundgarden, but that was just garbage....

That's a great show to see at Saratoga Winners. It's now called Upstate Music Hall, but it's still just a big bar.