Best/Worst Concerts You've Ever Seen

Boy good question. I was a kid. Pink Floyd was post syd barrett of course but way before darkside of the moon. I,would guess 70-71

Derek & the Dominoes around late 1970 - early 71.

Wow. That makes you old. And lucky!!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best:

Faith No More, Metallica, and GNR at Rich Stadium in '92...

The Rolling Stones at Rich Stadium '97'ish...

Godsmack at Shea's 2007...

The Hip at FNC a couple years ago...

The Tea Party at Shea's 2002...

The worst:

Motley Crue at FNC last year. Tommy Lee sat out due to tendonitis and Vince Neil, well, is Vince Neil...

"Riders on the Storm" at Lockport, a couple original members of The Doors. Might as well been a cover band. But didn't expect much without their heart and soul...

Edited by ricojes

The best:

Faith No More, Metallica, and GNR at the Ralph in '92.

The Rolling Stones at the Ralph '97'ish...

Godsmack at Shea's 2007...

The Hip at FNC a couple years ago...

The worst:

Motley Crue at FNC last year. Tommy Lee sat out due to tendonitis and Vince Neil, well, is Vince Neil...

"Riders on the Storm" at Lockport, a couple original members of The Doors. Might as well been a cover band. But didn't expect much without their heart and soul...

I was at that Motley Crue show, but left after Alice Cooper's opening act ( he was great). Glad I didn't stay, everyone said the Crue just totally mailed it in.

if you could comprehend what my post said and had the slighest idea what musicans sound like on smack. you wouldn't be confused. Anyways carry on man.

Confused? Not understanding? You said it was stunningly bad. To get a chance to see Duanne and Eric and have it stunningly bad does not make someone lucky I would be incredibly pissed off. What's not to understand? Please point out my confusion.

And yeah, I've never heard any musicians perform on smack. :rolleyes:

Was at the Philly stop of that americanarama tour, blown away by wilco and mmj, like you, I left really early in the Dylan set

Everything I've heard about Dylan's sets in the past 15-20 years (possibly longer) is that he plays a set full of new stuff, and stuff that only die hard Dylan fans would know, no Blowing in the Wind, Positively 4th Street, Knockin' on Heaven's Door, etc., other than ending with Like a Rolling Stone.

I had a chance to see Ray and Robby a few years ago with a female singer, and didn't go. I was sad after Ray died that it was my last chance, but now I'm almost glad I didn't pay $75 for it.

Everything I've heard about Dylan's sets in the past 15-20 years (possibly longer) is that he plays a set full of new stuff, and stuff that only die hard Dylan fans would know, no Blowing in the Wind, Positively 4th Street, Knockin' on Heaven's Door, etc., other than ending with Like a Rolling Stone.

I had a chance to see Ray and Robby a few years ago with a female singer, and didn't go. I was sad after Ray died that it was my last chance, but now I'm almost glad I didn't pay $75 for it.

I saw Gov't Mule with Robby for a Halloween show in 2013. Robby played the full second set and it was 100% doors. Mule kicked it big time.

Best - Rolling Stones at Rich Stadium Aug of '75. I was in high school and had never seen such a spectacle or heard such a great live show. They were very good there again in '78.

Worst - Stones a thousand years later at the Ice Palace in Tampa. Upper bowl in assigned seats watching a bunch of old guys steal money. How very disappointing.... On second thought, that show took second place to the Who in Cincinnati where a bunch of people died (1980ish?). Nothing could be worse than that, includiing the excuses and attempted cover-up. Tragic night.

I don't know if it's the music or the memory, but when the Who comes on I still change the channel even though it certainly wasn't their fault.

Led Zeppelin, Tampa Stadium, 1977

3 and a half songs before the rain came down in sheets.......Plant said "we will be back when the rain stops"........30 minutes later the PA announcer said the band was on their way to Orlando, tickets would be refunded. then.........all hell broke loose.........major riot....cops hitting kids with billy clubs on their heads cracking skulls........etc etc

Didn't matter to me.........I saw my fav band......at least for a few songs. it meant everything to me as a kid.

Edited by SinceWarMemorial

Best - Rolling Stones at Rich Stadium Aug of '75. I was in high school and had never seen such a spectacle or heard such a great live show. They were very good there again in '78.

Worst - Stones a thousand years later at the Ice Palace in Tampa. Upper bowl in assigned seats watching a bunch of old guys steal money. How very disappointing.... On second thought, that show took second place to the Who in Cincinnati where a bunch of people died (1980ish?). Nothing could be worse than that, includiing the excuses and attempted cover-up. Tragic night.

I don't know if it's the music or the memory, but when the Who comes on I still change the channel even though it certainly wasn't their fault.

The Cincinnati Who show was December 79, I saw them in the Aud the night after. Kinda saw them anyways, I had crap seats in the back of the floor.

The Cincinnati Who show was December 79, I saw them in the Aud the night after. Kinda saw them anyways, I had crap seats in the back of the floor.

OK, almost '80. Pretty close for me. I knew it was winter because it was wet and freezing and windy and just horrible. They only had 2 doors open for the whole arena and they were next to east other creating a serious log jam. I was there with a half dozen guys from our college rugby team. The lights went down and they started showing Quadraphenia and evryone thought the show started while we were outsize freezing. It got so bad we were focused on getting out, not in. We were big and strong enough to get out. Others were not. People died standing up, crushing the air out of them. Horrible night. We saw ambulances, but thought nothing of it. Got back tot he bar after the concert and everyone freaked out asking questions. We had no idea, but then they broke into Monday Night Football announcing it. Very sad and eerie night.

Best was the Tragically Hip at the Roseland Theater in Portland , Or. Great smallish intimate venue. That was 1998 I believe. Worst was a Alice Cooper concert at the old CNE Stadium in Toronto that got canceled last minute. There was a mini riot after. Mid 70s can't remember exactly.

I think that was the summer of 79. My brother and I were at that show. The opening act actually played, then Alice cancelled and the riot ensued. Wow. Forgot all about that one.

The travesty led by Johnny Van Zant that refers to themselves as "Lynyrd Skynyrd." It's a shame enough that they're still allowed to use that name, but you can clearly tell that they're there for the paycheck. I wouldn't classify it as the worst concert I've ever seen, but definitely a letdown considering what Lynyrd Skynyrd means to me.

Best:

• Van Halen - Women & Children First tour 1980
  • Queen - The Game tour
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan - Soul to Soul (opened for Robert Plant, who was "meh")
  • Scorpions - Monsters of Rock @ Rich Stadium 1988 - way better than Van Halen who closed the show
  • Devo - Freedom of Choice 1981
  • Rush - Farewell to Kings 1978 (first time seeing them)
  • Judas Priest & Iron Maiden @ Landmark Theater Syracuse 1981
  • AC/DC - Back in Black tour
  • Rush - R40 tour last summer :(
  • Pink Floyd - Momentary Lapse of Reason tour CNE Toronto

Least Favorite:

• Beach Boys (forced to go by girlfriend at the time)
  • Rod Stewart
Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

Best:

• Van Halen - Women & Children First tour 1980
  • Queen - The Game tour
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan - Soul to Soul (opened for Robert Plant, who was "meh")
  • Scorpions - Monsters of Rock @ Rich Stadium 1988 - way better than Van Halen who closed the show
  • Devo - Freedom of Choice 1981
  • Rush - Farewell to Kings 1978 (first time seeing them)
  • Judas Priest & Iron Maiden @ Landmark Theater Syracuse 1981
  • AC/DC - Back in Black tour
  • Rush - R40 tour last summer :(
  • Pink Floyd - Momentary Lapse of Reason tour CNE Toronto

Least Favorite:

• Beach Boys (forced to go by girlfriend at the time)
  • Rod Stewart

That's a nice list. Queen on that tour was my first concert, ever.

Best:

Foo Fighters and Black Keys (both played DC's Verizon Center) - with many a close second. Grohl is from the area and usually ends US tour in DC.

Worst:

Easy. Bob Dylan at Merriweather He traveled with Wilco and My Morning Jacket, who were great and I was looking forward to Dylan for first time. Just awful. We left.

Chiming in to defend My Morning Jacket who I've seen twice and is currently my favorite band. Youtube the Red Rocks shows from May of this year and the Lock'in Festival from a month ago. Okonokos is probably their best live show ever. I know you mention that Dylan was the reason for the Worst but I felt compelled.

Best -

Stevie Ray Vaughn at Darien Lake in the old amphitheater in 1989, I think. Rained like hell the day of the show and they postponed the show until the next day which we found out when we were on out way there. He tore the place up the night of the show.

ELP at Massey Hall in Toronto in 1993. Great band. Great place to see a show.

Worst -

Supertramp at the Aud in 1985. The most boring concert I have ever seen and it wasn't even close. Was after Hodgson left. Guess you had to be a hardcore fan to enjoy that one.

Stevie Wonder at First Niagara Center last November. Way, way too long of a show and not entertaining at all except for a couple brief songs. Was falling asleep in my chair. Lots of people left early. Wish I would have been one of them.