Bills tied for #3 in the league in sacks

Rubes

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've liked what I've seen in Z Brown, but we need to be weary of tackle stats. I'm glad it is our LB rather than a DB, but high tackle counts usually mean your D is on the field too long and that's been the case through three games.

Obviously people are keeping track of our D stats compared the Schwartz Eagles stats

Looks like even on the sacks so far.

I am wondering how our run defense is stacking up to each other.

I will admit, I was a little envious of the Eagles D when they played the Bears on Monday Night but it was the Bears.

But to shutdown Pittsburgh? That's a statement right there. Shutting down Arizona was a statement, but I don't think as large. We will soon see when we play them in December though.

Edited by What a Tuel

How can that be?

How is it possible that we have the same number of sacks as the Eagles or that Schwartzy has fewer sacks than two teams?

I wouldn't get too carried away. Sacks matter but they are only one stat.

"Schwartzy" has his defense:

4th in ypg

1st in ppg

3rd (joint) in sacks

5th in 3rd down efficiency

Oh and the team is 3-0

The Ryan Brothers have their defense:

25th in ypg

17th in ppg

3rd (joint) in sacks

25th in 3rd down efficiency

And the team is 1-2

Look I think the Bills D has played two pretty decent games with one stinker in the middle. Comparing us to the Eagles D doesn't help your case though because they have played 3 outstanding games.

EDIT: And just for sake of keeping track... so that I can compare what is self-evidently true to what the Big Cat heat maps say at the end of the season so far I have:

2 losses - 1 each on the O and the D

1 win for the D (yesterday was an all round team win to an extent but forced to give it to one unit or the other it has to be the defense because they won the early field position battle which allowed the offense to take advantage)

Edited by GunnerBill

4th in ypg

1st in ppg

3rd (joint) in sacks

Oh and the team is 3-0

25th in ypg

17th in ppg

3rd (joint) in sacks

And the team is 1-2

Look I think the Bills D has played two pretty decent games with one stinker in the middle. Comparing us to the Eagles D doesn't help your case though because they have played 3 outstanding games.

Agreed.

Its a stat just like other stats

I am more interested in pressures and QB hits

This is very true. Having a lot of sacks is good considering the stat by itself. Having fewer sacks does not necessarily tell the whole story either.

If a QB such as Tom Brady is determined to get rid of the ball quickly, there is nothing much you can do. If I recall correctly, in the first Pats game last year, he got the ball out in less than 2.0 seconds on average.

If you force the QB to get rid of the ball quickly (for whatever reason), your pass rush (or threat of pass rush) already has succeeded in that aspect of defensive football.

4th in ypg

1st in ppg

3rd (joint) in sacks

Oh and the team is 3-0

25th in ypg

17th in ppg

3rd (joint) in sacks

And the team is 1-2

EDIT: And just for sake of keeping track... so that I can compare what is self-evidently true to what the Big Cat heat maps say at the end of the season so far I have:

1 win for the D (yesterday was an all round team win to an extent but forced to give it to one unit or the other it has to be the defense because they won the early field position battle which allowed the offense to take advantage)

True, but the Iggles did play the Browns, Bears, and of course Pit. They're doing a very good job.

Antiquated!

For the record........that term to describe Ryan's D was made up by a Rex apologist..........essentially hyperbolizing to attempt to undermine the reality that the system is no longer effective as a catch-all approach.

His base system is designed to stop the run and force teams to throw the ball short into the middle of the field where the area is flooded with zone defenders.

By nature it is susceptible to teams that can spread the field and pick it apart...........and for a few reasons there are a lot of teams that have that capability now, whereas in the years where he took the Jets deep in the playoffs there were not.

Yesterday was a big shift change as they actually focused a ton of attention/support outside the hashes at the expense of run defense and the middle of the field in general.

An all LB front 7 is just a gimmick in general but it might be something they can incorporate periodically and use regularly again when they have an opponent down.

4th in ypg

1st in ppg

3rd (joint) in sacks

Oh and the team is 3-0

25th in ypg

17th in ppg

3rd (joint) in sacks

And the team is 1-2

The difference here is time of possession which can be correlated with our offense not performing.

27 minutes to the Ravens 33 minutes

21 minutes to the Jets 39 minutes

34 minutes to the Cardinals 26 minutes

At some points it was our inability to get our defense off of the field, but the vast majority of the time, it was our offense going 3 and out. You will allow yards in that case.

As for the eagles?

39 minutes to the Browns 21 minutes

36 minutes to the Bears 24 minutes

35 minutes to the Steelers 25 minutes

4th in ypg

1st in ppg

3rd (joint) in sacks

Oh and the team is 3-0

25th in ypg

17th in ppg

3rd (joint) in sacks

And the team is 1-2

Exactly.

Looking at stats after three games is about as pointless as harping for 9 months about how depleted sack totals were the smoking gun by which Jim Schwartz's dismissal was to be measured.

What ever happened to the people who were scared shitless of his Wide 9 anyways?

Looking at stats after three games is about as pointless as harping for 9 months about how depleted sack totals were the smoking gun by which Jim Schwartz's dismissal was to be measured.

What ever happened to the people who were scared shitless of his Wide 9 anyways?

Just for the record I did neither of those things.

The difference here is time of possession which can be correlated with our offense not performing.

27 minutes to the Ravens 33 minutes

21 minutes to the Jets 39 minutes

34 minutes to the Cardinals 26 minutes

At some points it was our inability to get our defense off of the field, but the vast majority of the time, it was our offense going 3 and out. You will allow yards in that case.

As for the eagles?

39 minutes to the Browns 21 minutes

36 minutes to the Bears 24 minutes

35 minutes to the Steelers 25 minutes

True. I didn't say those stats tell everything, but they are a fair indication. That is why even though on the face of it we didn't exactly shut the Cardinals down yesterday I give the D the credit for the win. They shut them down when needed early, gave up some soft yards playing prevent when the clock was on their side and then made a couple of big plays when the Cardinals threatened a comeback.

All stats need context, but I will tell you now Schwartz is an outstanding DC and will have his D up near the top of those 4 key categories for most of, if not all, the season. And he will be a Head Coach next year.

Let the record show it then!

Are you suggesting I did?

4th in ypg

1st in ppg

3rd (joint) in sacks

Oh and the team is 3-0

25th in ypg

17th in ppg

3rd (joint) in sacks

And the team is 1-2

anigif_original-grid-image-27915-1424054

True. I didn't say those stats tell everything, but they are a fair indication. That is why even though on the face of it we didn't exactly shut the Cardinals down yesterday I give the D the credit for the win. They shut them down when needed early, gave up some soft yards playing prevent when the clock was on their side and then made a couple of big plays when the Cardinals threatened a comeback.

All stats need context, but I will tell you now Schwartz is an outstanding DC and will have his D up near the top of those 4 key categories for most of, if not all, the season. And he will be a Head Coach next year.

Are you suggesting I did?

Lets hope not for his sake.....because he is not a very good HC

As a DC? He is a crackerjack DC

4th in ypg

1st in ppg

3rd (joint) in sacks

Oh and the team is 3-0

25th in ypg

17th in ppg

3rd (joint) in sacks

And the team is 1-2

Our defense was not what it needed to be in the Jet game. No question. We can argue about why that was.

Having said that, I am thrilled with how the team (and the defense in particular) responded to the vultures and Rex Haters circling around them.

Chuck Knox (and others) have said that the measure of man is how he reacts to adversity. This team had about as much adversity it could have between the Jet game and the game yesterday. The haters in the media and here were in full throat against both the team and Rex (pushing the Rex to be fired narrative). We had a lot of key pieces missing against the Cards. And, oh by the way, the Cards have both a great offense and defense.

It would have been very easy for this team and the players to basically phone it in etc. What is clearly apparent to me from yesterday is that the team responded about as well as a team can in the face of adversity and the players love playing for Rex.

It is one game. Yet, the Jet game was one game as well. We need to push forward and beat the Pats.

It will be a lot easier for the team to have a successful season if the usual suspects are not looking to be negative about every darn thing relating to the team or pushing a narrative that the head coach will (or should) be fired etc.

Go Bills!

Go Gunners!