We needed it but it may bite us

4merper4mer

Playoffs are determined by the entire 16 game record. Games at the beginning or end of the season are weighted equally but the first tie breaker for AFC teams is eliminating teams that have a good record against the NFC. You can look it up at NFL.com

Sure, but the win removes you from the tie breaking scenario. That's the point you are missing. A win only hurts us in a draft pick scenario where this one unexpected victory drops us a spot in the draft and costs us an elite QB (see Roethlisberger, Ben)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me of the colleague who was worried about his wife working because they'd have to pay so much taxes. Dude, you have to have money before you pay taxes on it. Money is good.

maxresdefault.jpg

No sight of trolls anywhere, let the calm celebrating continue

Playoffs are determined by the entire 16 game record. Games at the beginning or end of the season are weighted equally but the first tie breaker for AFC teams is eliminating teams that have a good record against the NFC. You can look it up at NFL.com

Enjoy the win Merp bag. We dont know how many of these we have left!

At this point in time just getting a win was a huge uplift for the fan base and players.

Who knows how many more games this team will win this season. So can we just savor the win and worry about the Patriots next weekend for now?

Hell yea breh!

Sure, but the win removes you from the tie breaking scenario. That's the point you are missing. A win only hurts us in a draft pick scenario where this one unexpected victory drops us a spot in the draft and costs us an elite QB (see Roethlisberger, Ben)

Dude you have been watching football a long time. How many years have you seen in which there wasn't a tiebreaker involved for a playoff spot. I'd say 90+% of years involves one.

Good win yesterday for sure but the reality is that the win hurt us in terms of playoff opportunity. As much as I'd love to win the division, I don't think the Bills are there yet and even if they were I'm not sure the NFL and especially the refs would allow it. If correct, this means any hope at the playoffs is via wild card.

Yesterday's win put us at the very bottom of tie-breaker scenarios in the case of wild card opportunities. Unless we're only battling teams in our own division or one on one with a team we'll play or have played like Baltimore, then the first tie breaker involves eliminating teams that have good records against the NFC. It seems likely that we may end up there. Arizona is/was a favorite in that division and we get the Rams and 9ers later in the year. We're looking at a 3-1 record against the NFC with the probable loss coming against Seattle. I think that record will probably be too good to keep us in the hunt tie-breaker wise.

The best tie breaker scenario is to have more wins than the other teams

WTF are u even talking about

How does a WIN hurt your playoff chances

OMG Monday mornings off to make the office coffee

The sad thing is I believe he's serious. It's just Crayonz being Crayonz. The most uneducated Bills fan in the history of this board.

Dude you have been watching football a long time. How many years have you seen in which there wasn't a tiebreaker involved for a playoff spot. I'd say 90+% of years involves one.

Again, I understand the tie breaker scenarios.

My point is:

Lets say, we lose this game and end the season at 9-7 and in a tie break situation, had we won the game we would not have been in the tie break situation because we would be 10-6.

Conversely, if we had won the game and still end up at 9-7 and in a tie break situation, the win still helped us. Had we lost, we'd be 8-8.

It's really not that hard to understand. This win in no way hurts our chances to make the playoffs, I promise you.

Again, I understand the tie breaker scenarios.

My point is:

Lets say, we lose this game and end the season at 9-7 and in a tie break situation, had we won the game we would not have been in the tie break situation because we would be 10-6.

Conversely, if we had won the game and still end up at 9-7 and in a tie break situation, the win still helped us. Had we lost, we'd be 8-8.

It's really not that hard to understand. This win in no way hurts our chances to make the playoffs, I promise you.

First off, if we end up tied with Baltimore we are toast unless there is a 3 way tie with let's say Oakland and Oakland had beaten Baltimore while we beat Oakland. After that we would want a bad NFC record and want the other teams to have a good one. Statistically speaking there are almost always tie breakers needed which I thought I mentioned but might not have articulated well.

Basically this happens because of the shorter season. At 162 games in baseball you rarely saw ties until they expanded the playoffs, but football plays 10% of that number of games so the odds of differentiation are much lower. It's just math really. We could argue all day about whether the tie breakers are fair....I don't think they are but I understand them.....but I'm not arguing about that. Personally I think preseason week 3 should be the first tiebreaker after head to head. Anyway the point is that the math makes it very difficult to avoid tiebreakers so you really have to know what they're all about before getting carried away with a win or a loss. Teams with 14-16 wins don't end up tied with anyone usually. Teams with 0-3 wins don't either but those aren't the teams looking for a wild card berth usually.