Kyle Williams is clearly a bad fit for Rex D...

eball

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyle Williams is a poor fit in a two-gap scheme as those players are usually bigger and stronger who need to wrestle the tackles to control the gaps rather than rush the passer through one gap. It was clear yesterday that Kyle is more of a fit in a one-gap scheme and utilized in that scheme he can return to his pro bowl form. So when the defense runs mostly a two-gap scheme all last year there was a real reason for the drop off from all those pro bowl pass rushers.

I still don't get the half right thing.

Wonder how many times you will twist your argument to fit a narrative?

How many times do you have to hear Rex & other players saying that last year the biggest hit to the defense occurred when Kyle went down?

Kyle Williams has been playing for the Bills for 10 years. Over that time, we've probably switched D schemes 10 times.

Every time we switch there is a thread about how Kyle won't fit into the new defense.

And every time, he goes out and puts up All-Pro level performances (as long as he is healthy).

One of the best Bills of all time.

Agreed, and I think after Freddie, he'll be seriously considered for Wall of Fame.

Agreed, and I think after Freddie, he'll be seriously considered for Wall of Fame.

Id put him up way before Freddie. More consistent and bigger performer over a longer period of time.

That's not a knock on Freddie. Rather, just shows how good Kyle has been.

Edited by DrDareustein

Rex's scheme isn't a 2-gap scheme primarily; it's a heavy mix of multiple responsibilities up front.

That's what I meant.

And IMO, lack of length is the biggest issue for Kyle when he's asked to 2-gap.

It certainly was for most of the year last season

First, the players themselves were complaining that they weren't allowed to rush the passer like the previous seasons. So, if the players were being asked to occasionally, or rarely 2-gap then I kinda doubt that they would have gone public to complain! The best player on that line was the one doing most of the complaining in Dareus and from the start of training camp. Kyle stated he wasn't happy about it either but he would do what was asked.

Second, the stats don't lie when going from #1 in the league to 31st in the league and 3rd in QB pressures to last in the league.

Kyle is a superb athlete but he is only 6'1 300lbs and in that 2-gap he needs to wrestle players that are so much bigger in height and weight that it's a mismatch for him to attempt to control those gaps over simply rushing the passer. Especially if he is asked to do it the majority of time in a game. As I look over the current Bills roster nobody is really built for that 2-gap scheme on a majority of the time basis.

The Bills did a good job this past game shutting down the Cardinals run game in the first half and until they got a big lead so they could rush the passer. That's how it's supposed to work. So Ryan used both techniques and it worked well this game.

He's not the only one ... :cry:

Like a gnat huh...a baby gnat!

Let's be honest. This was one of the few games Kyle looked like Kyle since Rex came in. I don't know if they changed things but let's not pretend like this defense has been a great fit for KW overall.

But everything was awesome yesterday.

Again, not a fair statement.

Kyle & the rest of the defense started to pick up Rex's D by the Titans game last year. But when he got hurt early against Cincy next week, the wheels fell off and gave Mario an oversized voice in that locker room. I don't know how many times it needs to be repeated of how much Kyle's injury hurt the defense. There's a reason that he's still on the team, despite being obvious cap casualty.

Kyle & the rest of the defense started to pick up Rex's D by the Titans game last year. But when he got hurt early against Cincy next week, the wheels fell off and gave Mario an oversized voice in that locker room. I don't know how many times it needs to be repeated of how much Kyle's injury hurt the defense. There's a reason that he's still on the team, despite being obvious cap casualty.

Agree to disagree. And I never saw that disruptive Kyle like he has been his whole career. He is not made to take up blockers. Dareus is but it's not the strength of his game.

And IMO, great coaches make things simple. Defense should not be so complicated.

Agree to disagree. And I never saw that disruptive Kyle like he has been his whole career. He is not made to take up blockers. Dareus is but it's not the strength of his game.

And IMO, great coaches make things simple. Defense should not be so complicated.

Are you saying this because you read about it or because you've watched the games where Kyle was asked to take up blockers?

Salient.

On a sidenote, the narrative that RR used a 2 gap fit primarily last year just doesn't hold up under the scrutiny of closer film study.

Correct. Check out our man E-Turner breaking it down:

http://www.cover1.net/2016/02/20161212015-bills-defensive-study-defensive-line/

Eric does quality work. I wish this was around during last season when we were trying to make some of these points after games. So much is dictated by offensive personnel groups and game situation that its just lazy thinking to assume any DC has the luxury of playing any front much more than another.

But I got a kick out of the very first photo above the article. As far from a 2-gap alignment as there is.