Where was this Defense Backfield last week?

I was to see consistency from Gilmore from here on out.

Meatball was having himself a good day also.

We were rolling on almost all sides today. Also we did it without Darby! Very impressive. I have a feeling Ed Reed chewed into them and had them practicing jump balls all week, cuz they were off the hook on today jump balls.

Edited by Marty McFly

As Moose Johnson said on the telecast, they made plays today that they did not make last week.

Sometimes guys have bad games and it has nothing or little to do with the defense that is called.

Agreed. I said this after last game-- I thought the breakdown on D was solely due to poor ball skills by the DBs. Today, they made better plays on the ball.

Rex played a completely different defense this week. He basically played four safeties. It made the coverages different and didn't allow the cards the deep ball, as you always saw two guys deep. They gave up the short crossing patterns but The Brown Brothers were excellent in closing fast. That was the difference. Plus, last week Fitz made a ridiculous amount of great passes and the Jet receivers made a ridiculous amount of tough catches.

Rex played a completely different defense this week. He basically played four safeties. It made the coverages different and didn't allow the cards the deep ball, as you always saw two guys deep. They gave up the short crossing patterns but The Brown Brothers were excellent in closing fast. That was the difference. Plus, last week Fitz made a ridiculous amount of great passes and the Jet receivers made a ridiculous amount of tough catches.

He also made sure to send extra guys much more than last week. This forced Palmer to make the hot read and, as you said, Bills LBs did a GREAT job of closing and making the completions only short gains.

He also made sure to send extra guys much more than last week. This forced Palmer to make the hot read and, as you said, Bills LBs did a GREAT job of closing and making the completions only short gains.

I actually was pissed he only rushed three and four too much. They did excellent when they rushed 5-6. But the DBs did play well so it's very hard to second guess. I don't think they rushed more than four very much at all. Sure a few times but they rushed three a lot.

The coverage schemes were different. Think of the big break ups and picks on deep ball and we had two men around the ball on every one. Less expecting corners to play on an island.

And, as others have said, the pass rush was much, much better. It was the whole defense that worked better together today. Front and back in unison.

The Safety play was big today.

Duke still sucks. He made a play or two but he shouldn't be playing. Too many gross errors. Meeks had a decent game. Both Graham and Aaron played very well. Rex had a really terrific game plan against the Cards they never really figured out outside of being able to complete 8-10 yard passes.

I actually was pissed he only rushed three and four too much. They did excellent when they rushed 5-6. But the DBs did play well so it's very hard to second guess. I don't think they rushed more than four very much at all. Sure a few times but they rushed three a lot.

Well, once they got the big lead they backed off. But before that I liked the pressure packages they were sending. I did find myself wishing they'd rush more guys late in the game but I can't complain about the results. Four 4th quarter INTs is probably a testament to backing off and putting more guys in coverage.