Is Chad Kelly not Jim Kelly incarnate?

Virgil

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind bringing him into camp as an UDFA but I think that Cardale is similar but with better tools. Neither guy will play for a few years but it feels to me like we have a similar guy. I'd like to see a veteran backup brought in as the addition t the QB room (maybe someone like Hoyer or Josh McCown). Those guys can play in a pinch and serve as another "coach type."

Whoa I respectfully disagree. Cardale has the tools to be an OK back-up, if he can learn to read a defense he can maybe make something of himself with that monster arm. Kelly's been running an offense much closer to a pro style. While his stats this year are sub-par his stats last year were excellent. He will be drafted unless there are huge concerns over his knee (and there shouldn't be he got blasted on that play).

I know the concern of nostalgia with the Kelly name clouding judgement but I see a lot of positives with this kid. I know the negatives, he's a hothead both on and off the field. He's got some growing up to do for sure. He's a gunslinger though. I doubt he comes to buffalo in the end but I hope we give him a chance to be groomed. A nice back-up competition with Cardale and we can get a glimpse of what he can do. What do we have to lose?

I'd kick the tires with a 5th round pick.

If we're fairly sure he'll fall to the 4th grab him there I say.

Whoa I respectfully disagree. Cardale has the tools to be an OK back-up, if he can learn to read a defense he can maybe make something of himself with that monster arm. Kelly's been running an offense much closer to a pro style. While his stats this year are sub-par his stats last year were excellent. He will be drafted unless there are huge concerns over his knee (and there shouldn't be he got blasted on that play).

I know the concern of nostalgia with the Kelly name clouding judgement but I see a lot of positives with this kid. I know the negatives, he's a hothead both on and off the field. He's got some growing up to do for sure. He's a gunslinger though. I doubt he comes to buffalo in the end but I hope we give him a chance to be groomed. A nice back-up competition with Cardale and we can get a glimpse of what he can do. What do we have to lose?

Cardale isn't ever going to be the solid back up type (and I don't think Kelly will either). Cardale was a pro style QB playing in a spread system. Those guys are starters or out of the league. Cardale just doesn't have the experience and Kelly makes a lot of mistakes. They were both thought of as 1st rounders with question marks that fell. They are big, big arms, good runners and make all of the throws. They feel pretty similar IMO.

Cardale isn't ever going to be the solid back up type (and I don't think Kelly will either). Cardale was a pro style QB playing in a spread system. Those guys are starters or out of the league. Cardale just doesn't have the experience and Kelly makes a lot of mistakes. They were both thought of as 1st rounders with question marks that fell. They are big, big arms, good runners and make all of the throws. They feel pretty similar IMO.

To me, Kelly is like an unstable version Brett Favre. At the slightest hint of a momentum shift he tries desperately trying to get it back right away instead of taking what a defense gives him. If he can get a good QB coach that teaches patience I think he can improve significantly. Cardale can improve with the same I just don't think the accuracy is there in his case. Kelly definitely has that over him he just makes way too many asinine throws to be trusted right now. Teach him some patience and i think he'll be very good. Time will tell. I'd say the percentages are against him.

To me, Kelly is like an unstable version Brett Favre. At the slightest hint of a momentum shift he tries desperately trying to get it back right away instead of taking what a defense gives him. If he can get a good QB coach that teaches patience I think he can improve significantly. Cardale can improve with the same I just don't think the accuracy is there in his case. Kelly definitely has that over him he just makes way too many asinine throws to be trusted right now. Teach him some patience and i think he'll be very good. Time will tell. I'd say the percentages are against him.

I think that's fair in terms of the accuracy. Cardale doesn't have great mechanics but can make the throws that only a handful of guys in the world can (think Rodgers). If they can clean up his mechanics his upside is limitless (and that's not hyperbole). They need A LOT to go right for that to happen. He's a winner though with good pocket presence.

I think that's fair in terms of the accuracy. Cardale doesn't have great mechanics but can make the throws that only a handful of guys in the world can (think Rodgers). If they can clean up his mechanics his upside is limitless (and that's not hyperbole). They need A LOT to go right for that to happen. He's a winner though with good pocket presence.

Agreed. I watched a lot of camp and he wasn't good any day I went but I will say that in preseason games he appeared have a strong arm and had the ability to thread the needle. Plus he has ideal size to play the position. No problems seeing over the grunts up front.

Crossing fingers...

Agreed. I watched a lot of camp and he wasn't good any day I went but I will say that in preseason games he appeared have a strong arm and had the ability to thread the needle. Plus he has ideal size to play the position. No problems seeing over the grunts up front.

Crossing fingers...

As an OSU fan I'm a bit of a homer but at the same time seen a lot of him. I hope that balances my view a little. He has shown incredible flashes but his resume is short. He struggled a little in 2015 but that system was a bad fit for him. He's a great talent but there are questions.

Derek Carr was mature well past his age in his final NCAA year. From what I recall he was married, and had a son who overcame some earlier medical issues while Carr was mid-season.

Chad Kelly is joining fights for St Joes in the Monseigneur Martin League

And never, ever trust anyone named Chad

Haha. Carr is the exact opposite human being.

I root for almost any Proud Buffaloian. I really hope this dude grows up. But with these injury, his lack of ability to read coverages, questionable decision making on and off the field, & now the BB stamp of approval, he doesn't have a chance. He will have a Jevan Sneed type career and start his rap career full time in 3 years.

I root for almost any Proud Buffaloian. I really hope this dude grows up. But with these injury, his lack of ability to read coverages, questionable decision making on and off the field, & now the BB stamp of approval, he doesn't have a chance. He will have a Jevan Sneed type career and start his rap career full time in 3 years.

Nothing official but I've heard Carr was quite a DB coming up. In my limited exposure he's seemed like a great guy but you never know. I also wouldnt say that Kelly can't read coverages, he did it all last year. His problem IMHO is just trying to force it when he knows better. His teams have had a decent amount of big leads but when the tide starts turning and he starts losing momentum he starts taking big risks. That can be coached.

Nothing official but I've heard Carr was quite a DB coming up. In my limited exposure he's seemed like a great guy but you never know. I also wouldnt say that Kelly can't read coverages, he did it all last year. His problem IMHO is just trying to force it when he knows better. His teams have had a decent amount of big leads but when the tide starts turning and he starts losing momentum he starts taking big risks. That can be coached.

Watch film on him. He goes threw 2 progressions and then just takes off. I don't necessarily fault him because that's what a lot of of college coaches want. But given the many stories I've heard about Kelly not exactly being a scholar, I'd be worry about him picking them up on a NFL level.

Watch film on him. He goes threw 2 progressions and then just takes off. I don't necessarily fault him because that's what a lot of of college coaches want. But given the many stories I've heard about Kelly not exactly being a scholar, I'd be worry about him picking them up on a NFL level.

1 better than Tyrod eh? lol

1 better than Tyrod eh? lol

Haha, can't argue there. Honestly given how limited VA Tech was on offense, TT has actually improved a lot on the NFL level. I think he's a smarter and more trustworthy guy than Kelly.

But I hope Kelly does finally get together and gets in a good situation to develop for a few years. It's his only chance.

I started going through all the pages, I didn't see if this was mention, he started his college career at Clemson, but was removed from the team for "a pattern of behavior that is not consistent with the value of our program". Since I believe Rex Ryan and Dabo have a working relationship, I don't foresee Kelly coming to Buffalo, I'd love to draft him in the 3rd (I love Buffalo Barbarian's draft) but I can't see it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

How is your ej love doing?

Chad has everything you want in a QB, only his ego is way too big. If only he or someone could humble him he might have a shot. It's apparent Jim has had no effect on his nephew, otherwise the off the field BS wouldn't happen. He's a lost cause and will never start a game in the NFL imo.

Is his younger brother any good?

Edited by Bubba Gump

• 2 weeks later...

If we're fairly sure he'll fall to the 4th grab him there I say.

We don't have a fourth this year.

Chad has everything you want in a QB, only his ego is way too big. If only he or someone could humble him he might have a shot. It's apparent Jim has had no effect on his nephew, otherwise the off the field BS wouldn't happen. He's a lost cause and will never start a game in the NFL imo.

Is his younger brother any good?

You need ego to be a good QB. What Chad lacks is the ability to focus and delay gratification.

And consistency in performance and mechanics.

Ole Miss defense is not as good as it was last year. Not that it was good then. Big fan of Chad. I think you have a kid trying to make plays this year bc he knows the defense won't get stops when needed. Definitely maturity problems but the talent is there.