Is Chad Kelly not Jim Kelly incarnate?

Virgil

I didn't see this last night. Woke up to a text that said "that Kelly kid you hate is done for the season" (expletives removed!) :D

Every player should have the chance to thrive or fail due to their own performance. An injury is gutting, even when it occurs to someone I don't particularly like. What this means for his prospects is exactly what Yolo said, he'll have a Mettenberger style "drop". His attitude will undoubtedly rub some teams the wrong way and his tape isn't good enough to warrant a top pick. If he's not on his best behaviour, he'll end up a UDFA.

If anything, this might be a good thing for Chad. He was never a day one starter and possibly being out until August should stop any temptation to throw him out there as a rookie. He needs developing and patience if he's going to amount to anything. This might facilitate that.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you are stereotyping based purely on who he is or his past. You are profiling him. This is just systemic prejudice against Chad Kelly.

More like stereotyping people who leave the stands and run on to the field during highschool football games to participate in brawls, which I think is a pretty safe practice.

If Kelly is going to succeed in the NFL, its not going to be in Buffalo. On a scale of 1 to Patrick Kane playing in Buffalo, I think the notion of Chad playing pro ball in his hometown falls somewhere between Chernobyl and Water World.

I agree with the prevailing opinion on here amongst others, that Buffalo would not be a good place for him. If he were 3rd on the depth chart, fans would be screaming for him to start with every INT. or loss by the starter, and his minor celebrity (as far as the last name, anyway), would do nothing to improve his entitled tendencies in his "hometown", whether he started or not.

I think the best places for him would be 1. in the NFC, just in case he does end up being a decent QB, we wouldn't have to see him twice per year, or fight his team for a playoff spot, and 2. behind a firmly entrenched QB where even he wouldn't buy the "I should be starter" crap.

1. Green Bay

2. Seattle

3. New Orleans

4. Carolina

More like stereotyping people who leave the stands and run on to the field during highschool football games to participate in brawls, which I think is a pretty safe practice.

If Kelly is going to succeed in the NFL, its not going to be in Buffalo. On a scale of 1 to Patrick Kane playing in Buffalo, I think the notion of Chad playing pro ball in his hometown falls somewhere between Chernobyl and Water World.

Belicheck will draft him and he will win four straight Super Bowls with the Pats....

The Bills should be the last team to have any interest in him.

Why? because Jim played here and he can't handle the pressure? lol, get real, he would get more support here than anyone. from the fans and Jim.

I think the expectations will be too high and distractions too numerous in Buffalo

such as?

Why? because Jim played here and he can't handle the pressure? lol, get real, he would get more support here than anyone. from the fans and Jim.

Chad would indeed have a big support network here, just like Patrick Kane. You need that kind of support if you're going to beat up cabbies and carry home drunk chicks.

I saw some draft guys predicting he will go undrafted now. I think he will get drafted, but it will be in the 5th or later similar to where Mettenberger went a few years ago (also tore his ACL late in season, and had off field issues). They are similar prospects and I see Chad having a similar NFL career (as Matt has had thus far).

I think he is similar to Derek Carr

That is possible since we perennially suck.

There weren't to begin with. He'll be a flawed project QB coming off major knee surgery.

QBs with any talent go higher than they should

Chad would indeed have a big support network here, just like Patrick Kane. You need that kind of support if you're going to beat up cabbies and carry home drunk chicks.

Kane has no support here.

Chad would be given more leniency because not only is he from Western NY he is related to the most famous and beloved player in franchise history. He would be everyone's adopted son that we would pull harder for and give him more forgiveness for on the field performance because we want him to succeed unlike guys like EJ who after a few bad performances we wanted to ride out of town.

I would compare him to Derek Carr, and would have him going in the 2nd to 3rd round if he didn't get hurt. After the injury, he'll fall to the 5th or 6th round unless a team jumps in the 4th. Could be great, but needs some time to mature. Maybe this injury will give him the time he needs to fix the off-field shenanigans.

Derek Carr was mature well past his age in his final NCAA year. From what I recall he was married, and had a son who overcame some earlier medical issues while Carr was mid-season.

Chad Kelly is joining fights for St Joes in the Monseigneur Martin League

And never, ever trust anyone named Chad

I don't think that he gets drafted now (thought he was up to a 3rd round pick before). He has questions on the field (decision making), questions off the field (numerous) and now injury concerns as well (ACL). Maybe someone takes a late round flyer on him to try to catch lightning in a bottle but UDFA feels more likely at this point.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I don't think that he gets drafted now (thought he was up to a 3rd round pick before). He has questions on the field (decision making), questions off the field (numerous) and now injury concerns as well (ACL). Maybe someone takes a late round flyer on him to try to catch lightning in a bottle but UDFA feels more likely at this point.

He was thought by some to be a potential 1st round pick before this year started and his team imploded. He was in a tough position playing better teams almost every week. He tried so hard to win he'd start forcing things once their defense lagged (or he threw a bad pick while the momentum was swinging). He could be a great quarterback if he learns to play smart.

This is the biggest homer thing I've said but them to take a chance on him. Let him learn the game from a year or two. We need a passing quarterback. The biggest thing is reads, I think he's already able to go through his progressions a bit but he'd need to get much better and smarter with picking his throws.

I started going through all the pages, I didn't see if this was mention, he started his college career at Clemson, but was removed from the team for "a pattern of behavior that is not consistent with the value of our program". Since I believe Rex Ryan and Dabo have a working relationship, I don't foresee Kelly coming to Buffalo, I'd love to draft him in the 3rd (I love Buffalo barbarian's draft) but I can't see it.

He was thought by some to be a potential 1st round pick before this year started and his team imploded. He was in a tough position playing better teams almost every week. He tried so hard to win he'd start forcing things once their defense lagged (or he threw a bad pick while the momentum was swinging). He could be a great quarterback if he learns to play smart.

This is the biggest homer thing I've said but them to take a chance on him. Let him learn the game from a year or two. We need a passing quarterback. The biggest thing is reads, I think he's already able to go through his progressions a bit but he'd need to get much better and smarter with picking his throws.

I wouldn't mind bringing him into camp as an UDFA but I think that Cardale is similar but with better tools. Neither guy will play for a few years but it feels to me like we have a similar guy. I'd like to see a veteran backup brought in as the addition t the QB room (maybe someone like Hoyer or Josh McCown). Those guys can play in a pinch and serve as another "coach type."

I would draft him because he has talent and Jim has worked with him on how the pro game works. Almost as if he is Jim's boy, worked out pretty good for the Mannings.

some here think Chad is a bum and is only getting recognition but what if he is better than Jim just as Peyton was better than Archie, although he could Eli but still better than what we have.

with his talent and Jim guiding him I would definitely draft him.

agreed :lol:

I don't understand this mentality of looking back that everyone seems to have. People did it with Marv when he became GM, and when it's been discussed that Jim Kelly become a coach etc.... etc....etc... We need to look forward not back. Just because he is related to Jim Kelly or because he has worked with him, it does not mean this kid will be any good. People though Marv would be a great GM because he was a great coach (insert buzzer sound here)....wrong. players and coaches need to be evaluated for what they are not who they are or who they are related it. There is no room for nostalgia when evaluating talent, whether a coach or a player.

You keep forgetting the most important trait. Last name is Kelly!

Science B word

What the hell does his last name have to do with anything. The notion that he will be any good because he's a Kelly is ridiculous. He very well may grow to be a great quarterback, but if he does it will have nothing to do with his last name. It has to do with the talent he has and what he does with it. Does he end up a bone head like Ryan leaf or does he go the way of Manning? Won't know until he gets to the NFL...if he gets to the NFL. Saying that he will because he;s a Kelly..... Please!