Tom Coughlin was at the stadium

BuffaloPride

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh?

The rumour was Coughlin was there yesterday. Not Coughlin was there all week. He's saying yesterday, both owners were not in Buffalo, he said nothing of their whereabouts all week.

Just to clarify. I saw my friend at the gym yesterday morning. He told me Coughlin was at the stadium and met with the Pegulas. I never asked him when this took place. I don't often bring anything he tells me to this board but I thought this was interesting. However, I was not aware of Coughlins position with the NFL. Had I known I would never had started this thread.

Just to clarify. I saw my friend at the gym yesterday morning. He told me Coughlin was at the stadium and met with the Pegulas. I never asked him when this took place. I don't often bring anything he tells me to this board but I thought this was interesting. However, I was not aware of Coughlins position with the NFL. Had I known I would never had started this thread.

Classy post.

Oh hey, I'm all for bringing stuff to this forum, the more the merrier. Lots of people didn't know his position with the NFL or forgot he got a job. It certainly has brought some discussion.

For me as far as Coughlin goes, I'm not sure I would even want him in an advisory role. How many coaches become good GM type figures? Parcells wasn't. Holmgren wasn't. Marv certainly wasn't.

I think that is part of Rex and Peg's psychological chess match...If Rex plays out the season, he can "retire" without getting fired. By retiring, he'd have to negotiate a buyout of the contract. That would leave open the possibility of coaching again, but save the Pegulas big money. If Pegula pulls the trigger during the season, Rex can walk with $16.5 mil for the last 3 years of the contract.

Why would Rex want to retire if he is going to be fired. By getting fired, the Bills are on the hook for paying him the rest of his contract and Rex can continue to look for further employment in the NFL or go to the booth.

Yet you give Rex the excuse of depleted talent but not Coughlin? Jerry Reese gave Coughlin nothing his last couple years there. Once he was canned they go on a FA spending spree.

Coughlin was an excellent coach and would be a good addition to the franchise in whatever role.

Make excuses for Frostbite Coughlin, but bang on Rex. Gotcha! :thumbsup:

FWIW, John Clayton during his weekly WGR-550 visit today said that without question, Coughlin wants to badly return to coaching.

He further opined that if we miss the playoffs this year, it's likely Rex will be gone...and that "the name I keep hearing" is Coughlin, as if it is known around the league that Pegula has interest in Coughlin or at least that Coughlin is high on the "next HC to be hired" list.

FWIW, John Clayton during his weekly WGR-550 visit today said that without question, Coughlin wants to badly return to coaching.

He further opined that if we miss the playoffs this year, it's likely Rex will be gone...and that "the name I keep hearing" is Coughlin, as if it is known around the league that Pegula has interest in Coughlin or at least that Coughlin is high on the "next HC to be hired" list.

1. John Clayton literally makes things up all the time and wrong about a 1000 times to every one time he is right.

2. If any team fires their coach, I promise you a 2 time SB winning coach (who wasn't supposed to win either one) who wants to coach again is going to be atop every single one of those lists.

3. Everything you said Clayton said is just his opinion. Of course everyone and their mother assumes if we miss the playoffs Rex will be gone, especially after firing the OC already. Doesn't make it true or false, its a general assumption as is all of Claytons stories. And the name he keeps hearing doesn't say anything about hearing it from the Bills. For all you know 12 drunk idiots in a bar kept telling him its gonna be Coughlin and then he can safely "the name I keep hearing". Again, all BS fluff from Clayton who is one of the worst reporters I have ever seen.

Now...all that said, doesn't mean that Coughlin wouldn't be a candidate...I think its very safe to assume if Tom really wants to start coaching again and Rex really did get fired that he would be a guy very high on a short list of candidates to replace Rex. But right now, Rex isn't fired, and Tom isn't interviewing...so this is all for nothing at this stage.

1. John Clayton literally makes things up all the time and wrong about a 1000 times to every one time he is right.

2. If any team fires their coach, I promise you a 2 time SB winning coach (who wasn't supposed to win either one) who wants to coach again is going to be atop every single one of those lists.

3. Everything you said Clayton said is just his opinion. Of course everyone and their mother assumes if we miss the playoffs Rex will be gone, especially after firing the OC already. Doesn't make it true or false, its a general assumption as is all of Claytons stories. And the name he keeps hearing doesn't say anything about hearing it from the Bills. For all you know 12 drunk idiots in a bar kept telling him its gonna be Coughlin and then he can safely "the name I keep hearing". Again, all BS fluff from Clayton who is one of the worst reporters I have ever seen.

Now...all that said, doesn't mean that Coughlin wouldn't be a candidate...I think its very safe to assume if Tom really wants to start coaching again and Rex really did get fired that he would be a guy very high on a short list of candidates to replace Rex. But right now, Rex isn't fired, and Tom isn't interviewing...so this is all for nothing at this stage.

Of course it was Clayton's opinion about Rex being fired if we miss the playoffs, and it came up in that context during the conversation.

Not everyone and his mother assumes Rex will be fired if we miss the playoffs. Many posters here have said he will return in that event, others say he'll be fired only if we crash and burn with a 3 or 4 win season.

Clayton didn't really clarify where he is hearing the name "Coughlin" in the context of a Bills' signing. I wanted Schopp and Bulldog to push on that point but they did not.

The comment was a little vague.

Overall, I agree with your opinion of Clayton as not being super well informed and have stated so in multiple posts on this forum.

Of course it was Clayton's opinion about Rex being fired if we miss the playoffs, and it came up in that context during the conversation.

Not everyone and his mother assumes Rex will be fired if we miss the playoffs. Many posters here have said he will return in that event, others say he'll be fired only if we crash and burn with a 3 or 4 win season.

Clayton didn't really clarify where he is hearing the name "Coughlin" in the context of a Bills' signing. I wanted Schopp and Bulldog to push on that point but they did not.

The comment was a little vague.

Overall, I agree with your opinion of Clayton as not being super well informed and have stated so in multiple posts on this forum.

Yeah, I just really don't like John Clayton...he is just always so full of crap.

But again, I am certain in the event Rex is fired, Coughlin's phone will ring at some point, and wouldn't be surpried if it was the first call they made.

Yeah, I just really don't like John Clayton...he is just always so full of crap.

But again, I am certain in the event Rex is fired, Coughlin's phone will ring at some point, and wouldn't be surpried if it was the first call they made.

The main point I was making is simply that Clayton felt very strongly about Coughlin's desire to return to coaching.

On that particular point, I bet Clayton knows what he is talking about and has a good feel for that.

This is interesting in that a lot of people in this thread have said Coughlin is way too old to coach or that he would not be interested in coaching due to his age.

That's your opinion.

I heard the Jags OL/Assistant HC Doogleass Maroon is highly respected and his name is being circulated (according to League sources) as a must-interview for any HC opportunities that may arise in the near future. Could we be so lucky? Can the Pegulas capture lightning in a bottle? One can only hope.

The main point I was making is simply that Clayton felt very strongly about Coughlin's desire to return to coaching.

On that particular point, I bet Clayton knows what he is talking about and has a good feel for that.

This is interesting in that a lot of people in this thread have said Coughlin is way too old to coach or that he would not be interested in coaching due to his age.

I agree....Coughlin has mentioned he was forced out from the Giants and never wanted to stop coaching

This is another great post.

John Clayton clearly makes sh*t up. That was plain as day when they asked him about this subject last week. He is just giving his personal opinion.

This is one of the things that has pissed me off about some of our local media: They say that Rex will get fired if the Bills do not make the playoffs when really the only thing that they are able to say is that they think he should be fired - not that they have ANY inside information.

This is another great post.

John Clayton clearly makes sh*t up. That was plain as day when they asked him about this subject last week. He is just giving his personal opinion.

This is one of the things that has pissed me off about some of our local media: They say that Rex will get fired if the Bills do not make the playoffs when really the only thing that they are able to say is that they think he should be fired - not that they have ANY inside information.

Most reporters I have heard, including Clayton yesterday, have made it quite clear they are merely expressing opinion.

Not sure what you are talking about really.