Tom Coughlin was at the stadium

BuffaloPride

No way would Tom Coughlin agree to meet with an owner about a job while there was a coach under contract, especially at the stadium. You are correct, IF he was there it was as part of his NFL duties...now, while there questions could certainly be asked...

Anyone who thought Coughlin would undermine a current coach knows zero about Coughlin.

Because he knows what Brandon looks like. This really isn't that hard.

See above.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pegula's hiring of Pat LaFontaine as Sabres President and GM selector stemmed from a chance encounter at a social event over cocktails.

The 2 got to talking and Pegula asked Patty for his 2 cents on the health of the organization.

If Pegula is even remotely thinking about changes, you better believe that was on the agenda with Coughlin, whether he visited in an official NFL capacity or not.

Luke Russert's mom also in attendance. Rehearsal dinner was at Tempo.

Just ate there in August.

Highly recommended.

In other words you don't know one way or the other and you're assuming something based on what you believe to be standard operating procedure of other clubs. Understood.

Geezus christ...keep living in fantasy land. The fact this is still being talked about is ridiculous. Pegulas are very smart, successful, business people and sports franchise owners...they are not morons. But keep assuming they are as dumb as the majority of the conspiracy threads on this board. Just keep assuming that its not because of his job with the NFL that requires him to visit teams and that its really the Owners of a professional football team doing the single dumbest thing they could ever do as owners that has never ever happened in the history of the NFL a single time because that OBVIOUSLY makes more sense.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Ummm, does everyone not know that Coughlin actually has a job with the NFL? He's Senior Advisor to Football Operations. He visits teams and has been visiting teams to improve the game overall.

I highly doubt this has anything to do with in-season change or becoming a czar. Just probably part of his job.

He's also on the NFL competition committee IIRC.

Anyone know if Coughlin had any experience overseeing an entire organization? I know he's been a coach forever, but does he have any NFL FO experience?

I don't know, but I do know that previous coaches often don't make good GM's or football czars. The track record is poor...even the other great Giants coach was terrible at it. So not sure why anyone would be overly excited about this.

Be MUCH better choice to open up the vault and try to lure someone like Polian here who has a ton of experience doing that then a stubborn drills sergeant football coach who is as old as dirt (not that Polian is any younger lol).

Geezus christ...keep living in fantasy land. The fact this is still being talked about is ridiculous. Pegulas are very smart, successful, business people and sports franchise owners...they are not morons. But keep assuming they are as dumb as the majority of the conspiracy threads on this board. Just keep assuming that its not because of his job with the NFL that requires him to visit teams and that is the Owners of a professional football team doing the single dumbest thing they could ever do as owners that has never ever happened in the history of the NFL a single time because that OBVIOUSLY makes more sense.

The only one assuming anything is you. And it's your opinion that it would be dumb to meet with another coaching candidate while the vacancy is filled.

For what it's worth, I doubt that Coughlin was here. (If I set up something like that, and if Coughlin is still in NJ, it would have been on a plane at the airport at Teterboro. Either way there is no reason for him to visit team facilities for that purpose until something is imminent.) But I don't doubt that the Pegulas have doubts about Rex. The football side of this organization has been nothing but an embarrassment to the Pegulas since the draft. The list of sins is long and well-known, so I won't repeat it here.

At the core of most of those problems (the Shaq Lawson thing aside) is a failure of discipline and preparation. Like it or lump it our team looks like a joke after "winning the offseason" and after all of last year's bluster. I would not tolerate an associate making me look as Rex has made the Pegulas look to their partners and stakeholders. I also wouldn't be beyond embarrassing such a person if I felt that he or she had taken advantage of me. (That is, if I felt that my $27.5m hire in turn hired a horde of coaches so he wouldn't have to do much real work, thereby allowing the current mess to have exploded.) Maybe the Pegulas feel the same way, and maybe it isn't so dumb.

Um he said it was a spitting image of Jim Overdorf and he ordered too coffees to go.

Don't forget the food. And the fact that he answered to "Jim." And the fact that (you can do the work on this if you still doubt this) that the exec in question lives two miles from the coffee shop I mentioned. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck ...

The only one assuming anything is you. And it's your opinion that it would be dumb to meet with another coaching candidate while the vacancy is filled.

For what it's worth, I doubt that Coughlin was here. (If I set up something like that, and if Coughlin is still in NJ, it would have been on a plane at the airport at Teterboro. Either way there is no reason for him to visit team facilities for that purpose until something is imminent.) But I don't doubt that the Pegulas have doubts about Rex. The football side of this organization has been nothing but an embarrassment to the Pegulas since the draft. The list of sins is long and well-known, so I won't repeat it here.

At the core of most of those problems (the Shaq Lawson thing aside) is a failure of discipline and preparation. Like it or lump it our team looks like a joke after "winning the offseason" and after all of last year's bluster. I would not tolerate an associate making me look as Rex has made the Pegulas look to their partners and stakeholders. I also wouldn't be beyond embarrassing such a person if I felt that he or she had taken advantage of me. (That is, if I felt that my $27.5m hire in turn hired a horde of coaches so he wouldn't have to do much real work, thereby allowing the current mess to have exploded.) Maybe the Pegulas feel the same way, and maybe it isn't so dumb.

It's more than a huge stretch to think ANY NFL owner. and their are some grade A certified douchebags would try and get revenge on a HC who was recruited and signed by them. Now did they (Pegulas) make a mistake? more than likely, along with the OBD guy that said don't let him out of the room. but the 27.5 M mistake is on the bills not Ryan.

It is just not done in any business for that matter. and if it is. good luck getting good qualifed people too work for you.

yea it's dumb too draw that conclusion.

It's more than a huge stretch to think ANY NFL owner. and their are some grade A certified douchebags would try and get revenge on a HC who was recruited and signed by them. Now did they (Pegulas) make a mistake? more than likely, along with the OBD guy that said don't let him out of the room. but the 27.5 M mistake is on the bills not Ryan.

It is just not done in any business for that matter. and if it is. good luck getting good qualifed people too work for you.

You have your opinion, I have mine. What's Doug Marrone up to these days?

Also, try Googling Mike Shanahan and see what comes up about his dealings with Al Davis. Same thing for Ralph and Wade Phillips. And that's just off the top of my head.

You have your opinion, I have mine. What's Doug Marrone up to these days?

Also, try Googling Mike Shanahan and see what comes up about his dealings with Al Davis. Same thing for Ralph and Wade Phillips. And that's just off the top of my head.

"and that is just off the top of my head" It's also way over your head. I'm out of this one. Adios.