New "Simplified Offense"

DirtDart

Again players are complaining they can not comprehend a playbook, this year it is Offense, last year it was Defense. Did they all fail the wonderlic? Why are all these guys unable to comprehend what the coaches are doing? Are we the only team that needs to make things vanilla for our players? Are the coaches unable to convey to the players what they want properly? I don't get it.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you have a Peyton Manning you want to out-think your opponent, when you have superior athletic talent you want to let your players play fast and trust their instincts. By all accounts the Schwartz D is simple compared to Rex's, and our talent shined through because they were allowed to just go out and play.

I didn't see anyone say they couldn't comprehend the playbook. There was a large volume of plays, and trickery that was trying to be utilized under Roman. They felt optimization of what works and speeding up the way plays are called to allow faster play, less thinking was "simplification".

Edited by YoloinOhio

The simply solution has been tried by every failed coach in Buffalo. Simplifying is never the answer... Simplifying simply means the HC is very desperate and doesn't have any real answers

Usually the following seaosn after a "simplify" that coach is sent out to pasture

The simply solution has been tried by every failed coach in Buffalo. Simplifying is never the answer... Simplifying simply means the HC is very desperate and doesn't have any real answers

Usually the following seaosn after a "simplify" that coach is sent out to pasture

Do you remember all the comments about how big Romans play book was? It's OK to simplify the overly complicated.

I keep saying it - under the modern CBA, there is no practice time. You need EITHER simple systems OR veteran players who know the system inside and out, and effectively act as coaches on the field (like Brady and Manning). The Bills have NEITHER.

You also need coaches who can make sure that their players execute the plays better, whether they are simple plays or complex plays. Could be the most basic sandlot play ever but if the players don't block or throw or catch then that's a problem.

Do you remember all the comments about how big Romans play book was? It's OK to simplify the overly complicated.

the question is do you remember the last 17 years and how many different coaches tossed out the simply solution after poor showings.

Always the same quotes always similar results. its a broken record for me at this point.

The issue with the offense didn't just start this season. Yes, they did some things well last year and were much improved over Marrone's offense which I think skewed the big picture a little. Both last year and this year they had not shown the ability to convert 3rd downs or sustain drives. This affects the defense as well as the offense. The offense lived off the big play. That should be a piece of your arsenal, not your only way to score.

I get all sides of the coin, but simplicity I would think breads failure. I am sure NE has a very difficult playbook on both sides of the ball, they bring in new players that seem to adapt.

again, they did not say the playbook was difficult to learn. They are not changing the playbook. They are utilizing the playbook differently Edited by YoloinOhio

The criticism I heard was that each week the game plan tosses out what has worked in the past in favor of something new that our opponents won't expect. We were trying to trick and outsmart opposing defenses rather than running our plays and challenging defenses to stop us.

The criticism I heard was that each week the game plan tosses out what has worked in the past in favor of something new that our opponents won't expect. We were trying to trick and outsmart opposing defenses rather than running our plays and challenging defenses to stop us.

Well when you are limited at key positions coaches try to scheme their way to victory. That was very evident during the Chan years as well.

Interesting if true, as that is 180 degrees the opposite of our approach when we were going to Superbowls every year.

Again players are complaining they can not comprehend a playbook, this year it is Offense, last year it was Defense. Did they all fail the wonderlic? Why are all these guys unable to comprehend what the coaches are doing? Are we the only team that needs to make things vanilla for our players? Are the coaches unable to convey to the players what they want properly? I don't get it.

@NickVeronica

LeSean McCoy said Greg Roman had 80 or 90 plays installed every week. Now the #Bills are down to 30 or 40 http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/09/21/lesean-mccoy-tyrod-taylor-looking-forward-anthony-lynns-simplified-offense/

Well when you are limited at key positions coaches try to scheme their way to victory. That was very evident during the Chan years as well.

With the exception of Tyrod v Fitz, the offense now is insanely more talented.

Stevie v Sammy

Jones v Woods

Nelson v Goodwin

Chandler v Clay

Spiller v Shady

There is so much more athleticism and skill at these positions than when Chan was here. These guys don't need to be "schemed" into success. They need to be given a chance to go out and win their match ups.

I didn't see anyone say they couldn't comprehend the playbook. There was a large volume of plays, and trickery that was trying to be utilized under Roman. They felt optimization of what works and speeding up the way plays are called to allow faster play, less thinking was "simplification".

Yolo - you save me so much typing all the time, it's appreciated. :beer:

Simplified play calling does not equal "Players are stupid and can't understand the playbook". Yeesh, people here are funny...

With the exception of Tyrod v Fitz, the offense now is insanely more talented.

Stevie v Sammy

Jones v Woods

Nelson v Goodwin

Chandler v Clay

Spiller v Shady

There is so much more athleticism and skill at these positions than when Chan was here. These guys don't need to be "schemed" into success. They need to be given a chance to go out and win their match ups.

Left out the MAJOR important position of the offense. If that spot it lacking then yes you do need to scheme a plan

@NickVeronica

LeSean McCoy said Greg Roman had 80 or 90 plays installed every week. Now the #Bills are down to 30 or 40 http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/09/21/lesean-mccoy-tyrod-taylor-looking-forward-anthony-lynns-simplified-offense/

WTF is the point in installing 90 plays when your offense can't achieve more than 50 snaps a game?