Roman almost Kapernicked Tyrod!

Jobot

Tyrod Taylor won't last four games cutting it loose. He doesn't have the frame for it.

Development is painful. One can only look at what Haley did with Roethlisberger. First two years were awful. Turned a scrambling and reckless(ly successful) gunslinger into a drop back QB, and made him lose weight. Fans screamed bloody murder. Now, they have one of the most explosive offenses around.

Firing Roman I fear is going to stunt his growth. And letting him loose is a one-way ticket to the IR list. Hope I'm wrong.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rarely, but yes -- if you're talking about players.

But that's not part of Rex's M.O. He's the front guy when it comes to criticism -- at least to the press. Actually that's the way it should be IMO.

And hence why you will not hear anything about Taylor not doing what he is supposed to do

And hence why you will not hear anything about Taylor not doing what he is supposed to do

And you think Rex has a clamp on what comes out of the locker room or OBD?

No player, no coach, no anonymous front office guy has ever said a thing -- so this is the only thing Rex does well?

I'm not saying that Tyrod is the perfect QB specimen but neither do I think that he's the sole reason for his performance in the first two games.

No player, no coach, no anonymous front office guy has ever said a thing -- so this is the only thing Rex does well?

I'm not saying that Tyrod is the perfect QB specimen but neither do I think that he's the sole reason for his performance in the first two games.

Its starting go listen to Watkins video Rodrak posted. Talks about seeing WRs open on film etc. It will only continue to get worse.

Its starting go listen to Watkins video Rodrak posted. Talks about seeing WRs open on film etc. It will only continue to get worse.

I'm not going to Rodak / Sammy video. I'll take your word on what was said. Thanks for taking the bullet. I doubt it will continue to get worse.

I'll give you that CM but if Tyrod was allowed to use his feet more often you may see a more confident QB. Add to that, If the new OC can get the plays called in on time, he may start reading defenses and throwing to spots instead of receivers.

I'll give you that CM but if Tyrod was allowed to use his feet more often you may see a more confident QB. Add to that, If the new OC can get the plays called in on time, he may start reading defenses and throwing to spots instead of receivers.

Makes me wonder:

(1) was Roman slow getting play in when he was at SF?

(2) how long has the Anthony Lynn thing been brewing and has he been able to prep himself to take over?

Tyrod Taylor won't last four games cutting it loose. He doesn't have the frame for it.

Development is painful. One can only look at what Haley did with Roethlisberger. First two years were awful. Turned a scrambling and reckless(ly successful) gunslinger into a drop back QB, and made him lose weight. Fans screamed bloody murder. Now, they have one of the most explosive offenses around.

Firing Roman I fear is going to stunt his growth. And letting him loose is a one-way ticket to the IR list. Hope I'm wrong.

Tyrod's contract is built so that Buffalo can find out if he won't last 4 games playing this way...

Tyrod tailors playing style vs Tyrod gets hurt being aggressive? = Both result in Bills missing the playoffs.

Edited by Jobot

Maybe a silver lining... but so far weeks 1 and 2 of the 2016 season resulted in a version of Tyrod similar to Collin Kapernick's year 2 under Roman.... As if he was forced to stay in the pocket, read defenses, and use his legs only as a last resort...

I'm hopeful that Tyrod is going to let loose this week in Arizona and run a bit more based on comments from Rex on Roman's firing.

I almost fell for this. Almost. Nice work!!

Fact is Rex cant change his MO and that is when the pressure gets on fire the OC. He has done it 5 out of 6 years

Perhaps you could bring up some facts to support that? Or explain what you mean?

Rex coached for NYJ 6 years. He never as far as I can see, fired a coordinator during the season in that time. He did tell Schottenheimer to "move along" after 4 years of OC (3 with Rex) and replaced him with the disaster of Sparano. Sparano was replaced with Mornhinweg who stayed 2 years until Rex got the boot.

So that's 6 years, and 3 OCs.

There's plenty to dislike about Rex's performance without exaggeration

Part of the problem may have been Rex's strong loyalty to Sanchez (the tattoo with Rex wife wearing Sanchez jersey).

Well when you read multiple articles by different writers affiliated with different companies all with very different stories about this entire thing, makes you start to wonder, then no don't think it's the Bills PR machine. Or do you believe the Bills are so powerful that they completely control all the media and get them to write whatever spin they want.

Or is it that certain articles are true that support your beliefs and agenda and everything else is just Bills PR?

So you believe the Bills PR Spin Machine.

Great but where to you find a better one? It would be terrific if the Bills could get the next Andrew Luck, but the odds a much better they will land the next Ryan Leaf as there are many more bad QB's around than good ones. And for whatever reason no team in the league is able to very accurately transfer what is seen in college to how that plays out in the NFL. If they could Ryan Leaf, Akli Smith, etc would not have been drafter #1, and Tom Brady wouldn't have lastest till the 6th round.

So base on that you take more chances on QB's that even remotely look for an instant in time to be good, as you know the other options are likely all much worse.

It is amazing to me how many Bills fans use Tyrod is the Best QB we have had in forever as part of their evaluation.

Doesnt mean he is good means he is the best of a bunch of Bad QBs

A guy a work wit his a big 49er's fan. At the time when roman left he said that it was pretty much split, was Roman the problem or was Harbough over-riding him and that was what caused Kap to decline. Seeing where things are now, and the comments about him "wanting to work in the lab alone" makes me start to think he's the problem.

The more I've read about this, the more I think this has been brewing for awhile. He was told in the off-season he needed to changed his ways and promised he would. But two games in, nothing changed so they made a move.

And also the more I've read about this, the less I overall blame this whole thing on Rex as seemed there were many other outside influences at work here.

A guy I work with is die hard 9ners fan. He told me when we picked up Roman he hated him as an OC. It was Run/ Run/ Pass, punt. Always held back Colin and never used the stars. Left a lot of receiver wide open and always got the plays in late. This was before he proved this for Buffalo.

It is amazing to me how many Bills fans use Tyrod is the Best QB we have had in forever as part of their evaluation.

Doesnt mean he is good means he is the best of a bunch of Bad QBs

And that was never true. I'm sorry, i would take Fitz all day all over Tyrod. I love TT's skills but he lacks a lot of what I want from a qb. He is a bit too gimmicky at this point.

He definitely has potential but he has a long way to be a true franchise guy.

A guy I work with is die hard 9ners fan. He told me when we picked up Roman he hated him as an OC. It was Run/ Run/ Pass, punt. Always held back Colin and never used the stars. Left a lot of receiver wide open and always got the plays in late. This was before he proved this for Buffalo.

Yet, Kaepernick sucked even worse after he left.

But let's keep blaming the coach because the player isn't good enough.

I'm not sure we call a ton of plays designed with this in mind. I'm not saying he doesn't have issues - he does. But at the same token, any college kid we draft is going to have issues in one way or another.

We don't line up under center or run from under center, he doesn't have much freedom to change plays, we don't play action, we don't bootleg, we only do designed QB runs on 3rd and 1/2. And those designed runs tended to be towards the sidelines, with the rest of Roman's offense.

He's not good enough of a pocket passer for that to be his whole game, unless we're going to rock some little short passes to backs/slot guys. We can't do a ton of RB screens, since we typically have linebackers playing contain closer to the line, who can blow up screens if they aren't blocked.

But WR screens should open up more with the deep passing game as DBs start playing off more. He needs to master that throw, because its like free yardage if you get it where the receiver can run right after they catch it. We don't run these much since 90% of our formations have the receivers really close to the o-line.

Slant window's should also open up as linebackers play closer to the line. This also requires that our receivers play out wider so they can get a step on the coverage.

I'd also like to see packaged plays in the repertoire. You need to be at the line quick to read the defense, but basically receivers run routes, and theirs usually a zone read built in as well. Make the call at the line and snap. There's usually a slant/bubble-screen/zone read all on the same play. Receivers run their routes and the QB decides what we actually do.

Good post. thanks. Good reminder as to what Roman was doing and then that there are some options that might well help the offense.

as mentioned though, we shall see. Right now i am on the negative view with TT.

He just looks that bad regardless of play calling. Lets hope A Lynn gets it turned around sooner than later

Slants are an anticipatory throw... IE throw to the window, reason we don't see them is Taylor needs to see WR open before he throws, this is no different than EJ was.

And yes those plays are all called you can see Clay open in the seams all the time when watching the all 22.

When a team doesn't have to respect the middle of the field past 9 yards, it makes everything you try to do as an offense impossible.

And going into year 2 Taylor has shown defenses they do not need to worry about getting beat over the LBer and between the Safeties, so they can squat on the short stuff, kill running, blitz more often, spy Taylor.

When the Defense as the freedom of ignoring an area of the field because the QB wont go there it is like having another defender on the field.

As a Front office you have a 27M dollar decision to make at the end of the season. So if I am making that decision I better be darn sure my QB can actually play QB

I respect your posts, Harsh but true.

i think the issues you point out are valid. But what i care about is, are they repairable ?

CONJECTURE!

Why does more time equate to throwing rec open ? I might think that would help him find the Best option but not lead a reciever so much ?

Edited by 3rdand12