Why was Rex "afraid to pressure Fitz"?

Dragonborn10

I think Rex is overthinking his own defense. He said he was afraid to pressure because the coverage wasn't holding up. Isn't that the reason to keep bringing the pressure? If you pressure the ball needs to come out quicker, the DB's have to cover for a shorter period of time, and the throws are shorter. Our DB's tackle well.

On top of that, the well known book on Fitz is he will screw it up if he has to make decisions too quickly, anticipate too much, or is under pressure by game circumstances or by the pass rush.

Carson Palmer is a statue back there just like Flacco. Rex had better dial up blitzes from all over the place.

It is ok to give up a few big plays if your defense makes some too. An INT or sack fumble more than overcomes several 20+ yard passes.

Every QB in this league, even the back-ups will beat you if you rush three and have the weapons that the Jets have.

Go back to basics Rex. As Mario said, just go after the QB. It doesn't need to be this difficult. I'm ok with some defensive trickery from time to time, every coordinator does it, but the base defensive philosophy should be attack the QB at all times.

I think Rex is overthinking his own defense. He said he was afraid to pressure because the coverage wasn't holding up. Isn't that the reason to keep bringing the pressure? If you pressure the ball needs to come out quicker, the DB's have to cover for a shorter period of time, and the throws are shorter. Our DB's tackle well.

On top of that, the well known book on Fitz is he will screw it up if he has to make decisions too quickly, anticipate too much, or is under pressure by game circumstances or by the pass rush.

Carson Palmer is a statue back there just like Flacco. Rex had better dial up blitzes from all over the place.

It is ok to give up a few big plays if your defense makes some too. An INT or sack fumble more than overcomes several 20+ yard passes.

Every QB in this league, even the back-ups will beat you if you rush three and have the weapons that the Jets have.

Go back to basics Rex. As Mario said, just go after the QB. It doesn't need to be this difficult. I'm ok with some defensive trickery from time to time, every coordinator does it, but the base defensive philosophy should be attack the QB at all times.

I think this one is pretty simple: Rex's defense was predicated on the assumption that Fitz wouldn't be able to make the throws. Or (as has historically been the case), he'd make the throws until he misses badly, resulting in a devastating interception or two (often of the pick 6 variety). Problem is that never happened on Thursday ...

At times the DL was missing Dareus AND Hughes. He couldn't get pressure with the front 4 with the backup level talent and felt he couldn't blitz to create pressure because his corners needed help. That's what I thought he meant.

I think the DL will look much better when Dareus and Shaq are back.

I have no idea why Rex just cannot make changes. Obviously they WR did not have an issue going 1v1 with our elite CBs. But the minute it was evident Fitz was just going deep anytime 1v1 was seen Rex should have did something.

All game though never gave Gilmore or Darby one bit of safety help just let them continue to struggle.

That is my issue with him as a coach he will not put his players in positions to succeed instead better play his system because he will not change.

I was ready for a New HC after last season. Now i really am.

That game was so so frustrating. I am going to have to take a closer look but it was painful to watch the Jets convert so many third downs. Ugh.

At one point, I blurted out: "Mother F***er!" in front of my wife and kids after one third down conversion during the Jets' second drive. Needless, to say, my wife was not happy with me.

I was very disappointed in the defense, I'm convinced the opening drive took a lot out of the defense. It was 8:19 in length but should have ended after 3:30 if not for that bogus holding call on Gilmore on 3rd down. And then the offense would barely hold the ball.

That game was so so frustrating. I am going to have to take a closer look but it was painful to watch the Jets convert so many third downs. Ugh.

At one point, I blurted out: "Mother F***er!" in front of my wife and kids after one third down conversion during the Jets' second drive. Needless, to say, my wife was not happy with me.

you should have heard what I said when Fitz fumbled in the 1st qtr and the ball rolled around on the turf for like 5 minutes and they let the jets recover. !@#$

I was very disappointed in the defense, I'm convinced the opening drive took a lot out of the defense. It was 8:19 in length but should have ended after 3:30 if not for that bogus holding call on Gilmore on 3rd down. And then the offense would barely hold the ball.

That is so so true. Things like that change games. Who knows?

Those drives exhausted our defense (especially with the O not sustaining any drives) and I got to believe the both Gilmore and Darby perhaps lost a bit of confidence. We could not stop them on third down it seemed.

I think Rex was counting on Fitz making that mistake he always makes and just dropping everyone into coverage

The problem is Fitz didnt help us out this time.

but remember we have made 2 games not 1......thought we got better pressure in game 1

Fitz played about as well (if not better) than anytime I have ever seen him play. Hats off to both Fitz and Chan. It will be interesting to see what happens when we play them in NJ.

I think this one is pretty simple: Rex's defense was predicated on the assumption that Fitz wouldn't be able to make the throws. Or (as has historically been the case), he'd make the throws until he misses badly, resulting in a devastating interception or two (often of the pick 6 variety). Problem is that never happened on Thursday ...

As usual no backup plan (adjustments) by the Rex coaching staff!

I blame Rex.

I blame Rex.

Some here blame Rex for ISIS, the problems in the middle east, the great recession . . . .

I support Rex and the Pegulas. I realize that is a take contrary to Sully and Bucky and others here but so be it.

I am a big believer in beating good quarterbacks by beating them mentally. During the first Jet's possession I felt like the Bills were getting good pressure and getting Fitz rattled a little bit and off to a good start of ruining Fitz's game.

Obviously Fitz still succeeded in that drive, but I thought the Bills were doing what they needed to do to beat him.

If they had just kept up the pressure, Fitz would have begun to fold. We have seen it time and time again. When the pressure is really on his shoulders he commits egregious mistakes.

But then the pressure on him subsided and he started really picking apart the defense. I really think that Rex and crew unknowingly sat Fitz up to have the perfect game.

It was like we threw a couple of right and left hooks at Fitz early, but because he got up every time we hit him, then the Bills decided to quit trying to punch him and went back to jab, jab boxing.

I feel like the BIlls were trying to beat Fitzpatrick's arm rather than beat his mindset. If they had tried harder to beat him down mentally, the Bills could have and may very well have come away with a big win there.

Well said!