Buffalo Bills Fire Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman

26CornerBlitz

But it was also clear that Roman's complex offense wasn't getting it done. Not saying that Lynn's will definitely work, but they needed to change the things that weren't working (or at least on a path to improving)

Was Roman's offense complex? It looked like a college offense to me. Half-field progression reads, and all of the WRs were running streaks or curls.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Roman's offense complex? It looked like a college offense to me. Half-field progression reads, and all of the WRs were running streaks or curls.

Are you thinking that Roman directed half-field reads by Taylor? If anything I would see that as more a product of his QB's known flaws, that Roman was attempting to manage.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Yes I think Roman directed it and yes it is because of Taylor's deficiencies.

No matter how you slice that scenario, whether it's Roman, TT, or a combination of both, it reeks of amateur hour. When you DELIBERATELY remove half of the operating space for your offense, especially against NFL caliber athletes on defense, it is over. You can get the occasional big play, but conceding half the field to the defense just makes you so much easier to defend. For me, it keeps coming back to "Make him be a quarterback."

You will NEVER take what you want unless you can take what the defense gives you first. It's beyond frustrating.

I was NOT a fan of firing Roman, but on the bright side it will over time help to clarify a few things beyond a doubt that will set the future direction of this team:

a) whether the offensive issues were Roman's fault or the players;

b) the "real Tyrod" will be exposed - either he blossoms or continues on his current path under a different OC;

c) Anthony Lynn will be unmasked as a hidden gem of a coach, or just another Rex crony who was a Rooney candidate;

...and as a result of all of the above...

d) the quality of Rex's judgment as a football man will be laid bare for all to see. It should be interesting.

I'm sure that's the Pegula's plan and preference. But if and when Rex's handpicked new OC flops, and his brother flops, and they win less than 5 games, they won't have a choice.

He's a terrible head coach and I'm having a hard time dealing with the fact that they might keep him. That's just too depressing.

Yes I think Roman directed it and yes it is because of Taylor's deficiencies.

That might be one of the things Ryan was hinting at. Taylor needs to be able to read the whole field to be an NFL QB. At some point, take the training wheels off and answer the question: is it Taylor's deficiency or was it Roman's perception of Taylor's deficiency?

But it was also clear that Roman's complex offense wasn't getting it done. Not saying that Lynn's will definitely work, but they needed to change the things that weren't working (or at least on a path to improving)

No doubt, but do you view Rex as competent enough to make a change? He should be the first one out the door, followed by Whaley and Brandon. These are 3 men who are horrible at their jobs if the goal is to win football games. And Roman might be awful too, but I would take him over Rex in a heartbeat.

We can pretend all is well and sing songs and roast marshmallows around the tire fire, but these 3 guys have turned a mediocre team into a disaster, and they had MUCH more of a negative impact than Roman.

Jmo.

Not so much for the scheme, but there was certainly enough week to week complexity that rubbed the players the wrong way.

It's a two-game sample size. Yes, they looked poor against Baltimore and the Jets, but given the offense's objectively above-average performance last season, you would think they'd have given Roman a longer leash. I have no reason to believe that they're not a badly mismanaged franchise, regardless of whether the owner and coach are on the same page or not.

Edited by dave mcbride

No doubt, but do you view Rex as competent enough to make a change? He should be the first one out the door, followed by Whaley and Brandon. These are 3 men who are horrible at their jobs if the goal is to win football games. And Roman might be awful too, but I would take him over Rex in a heartbeat.

We can pretend all is well and sing songs and roast marshmallows around the tire fire, but these 3 guys have turned a mediocre team into a disaster, and they had MUCH more of a negative impact than Roman.

Jmo.

Can't argue with that, but this is Rex's last gasp effort to make it work. I do think the defense improved a lot and will continue to get better. But the offense was a concern and a change needed to be made. Granted there's less than 50% chance it will get better, but staying status quo was worse.

It's a two-game sample size. Yes, they looked poor against Baltimore and the Jets, but given the offense's objectively above-average performance last season, you would think they'd have given Roman a longer leash. I have no reason to believe that they're not a badly mismanaged franchise, regardless of whether the owner and coach are on the same page or not.

As I said before it's relative to the expectation. To the naked eye, the offense regressed. Apparently it also regressed to the inside eye as well. The offense carried this team last year, but needed to get better to get them over the hump.

Can't argue with that, but this is Rex's last gasp effort to make it work. I do think the defense improved a lot and will continue to get better. But the offense was a concern and a change needed to be made. Granted there's less than 50% chance it will get better, but staying status quo was worse.

It can ALWAYS get worse. Also, the defense was a disaster on Thursday, and it's not as if they shut the Ravens down (over 300 yards; nearly 5 yards per play; 6-15 on 3rd down). I think we may be lowering the bar here ...

Edited by dave mcbride

Jmo.

If they are so awful, please explain how the franchise won 17 games in the last two seasons. Mediocre? Absolutely. Awful is taking it too far. IMO

It can ALWAYS get worse. Also, the defense was a disaster on Thursday, and it's not as if they shut the Ravens down (over 300 yards; nearly 5 yards per play; 6-15 on 3rd down). I think we may be lowering the bar here ...

Players make plays. They were repeatedly in a position to make plays and did not. When--in your opinion--are players accountable for getting straight beat?

i don't know if it was optimism as opposed to realism based on what philosophies the Bills are operating with under the Pegulas.

now, things might change based on results, and this is not a great start to Rex's second season. however, this win-or-else talk is just that: talk.

jw

If that means that RRyan will get another year irrespective of this years win-loss record, it is seriously depressing. What standards are we to hold HCs to now ?

Players make plays. They were repeatedly in a position to make plays and did not. When--in your opinion--are players accountable for getting straight beat?

Not sure I understand the question. I definitely agree that players should be held accountable and that coaches unfairly take the blame. Re the Jets game, there was lot of single coverage by corners that simply didn't work. In my unprofessional opinion, they seemed to be thinking that if they stopped the run (which they did a somewhat decent job except around the goal line), Fitz wouldn't be able to beat him. Based on his past history vs. Rex, that made sense. It's not how it played out in the game though. The single coverage didn't hold up when he consistently made accurate throws to a good cast of receivers.