Shame on VIC

His most memorable home opener was a losing effort by a badly coached mediocre Bills team. Bullough would be fired part way through the season, enter Marv Levy. If this site had existed then the Internet would have been destroyed by that hire.

I'll take being at the 1980 home opener defeat of Miami.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article started off well. Jim Kelly's first as a Bill. I was in the Army and stationed at the Presidio of San Francisco. Back then you got highlights at half time and later in the evening on ESPN. After a coupe years of bad football I was looking forward to a change. Vic jogged those memories for me. To end it with a paragraph dumping on the team (new owner, coaches and many new players) that many had no link to the prior futile playoff attempts was a downer. The knuckle headed behavior in the parking lot is done by a minority. What a sour note to end the story Vic. You could have omitted it and we would be all the better. I do not expect a play off run , too many injuries and suspensions, this year but I expect a team that will be competitive and be in every game. Heck with a couple breaks they might make the playoffs. Will will not know until they play the games. GO BILLS!

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/09/09/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-opener-remember/

The media is a huge reason why we are always having negative connotations around our beloved Bills. I know 16 year drought has a lot to do with it, but shame on VIC for this article.

This organization reminds me of the Cubs. Cubs got new ownership, revamped stadium with state of the art equipment, new coach that is proven, new everything. Look where the cubs are.

I feel like things are looking up for our bills. Just like the same situation as cubs. And if we could all stay positive maybe that would help out the team. But articles like this are cancer to a organization. So VIC what are you doing to help out this team. Besides writing shi!#y negative articles. After 30 years I thought I'd see different.

I'll be at the home opener... Driving 500 miles from Chicago. And it is not cause it's a huge party... Not cause of Thursday night... Its because I'm a fu.&ing Bills fan. I love my team. Take this article and shove it VIC.

I guess I don't read it the same way. Vic reads like an old geezer reminiscing about the "great times" in the past. He seems to lack perspective that perhaps he sees that 30 year old home opener with such a golden glow, *because* of the years that followed (in many ways, it was a disaster of a game, Kelly was knocked unconscious and would probably have left the game on concussion protocol today). I would bet there were plenty of fans there, 30 years ago, who were just there to get drunk and act like morons according to the standards of the day (which admittedly, were less moronic than today). Using Nix "show me the baby" analogy, it's just like when the Mom sees the baby and the pains of labor no longer matter so much and are eventually forgotten.

There are fans who will be going because they see Taylor, now our established starter, as a new era. There are fans who are going to get drunk and act like morons. They are all going to cheer for our team. And if this year is the start of a new time when the Bills will be contenders, 30 years from now some young whippersnapper will be writing a Vic Carruci-like "All you kids get off my lawn!" paean about the marvelous glow surrounding next Thursday's home opener. Which will hopefully NOT involve Taylor getting knocked unconscious behind a porous OL

But in any event, the press are a symptom, not the disease, and I can't blame Carucci for getting in touch with his inner Geezer.

Edited by Hopeful

You can believe that but the coaches and players know the fans and media expect them to fail because of history. That has an effect. When everyone says you won't succeed no matter what you do or how hard you try, don't be shocked when you get what you wish for.

Exactly....living in Chicago a cubs fan same sh°^ happened.... All you heard even before they got good was watch this team contend for years... Not a article night before opening day saying it's the same old crap. Players and coaches feed off energy. Negative energy persists over buffalo more than any other... We can change this.

No professional player worth their salt would let anything any fan says impact their performance. If a single Bills player is impacted at all by anything any fan or media member says about them I want them off the team today because they are too mentally weak to be of value.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/09/09/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-opener-remember/

The media is a huge reason why we are always having negative connotations around our beloved Bills. I know 16 year drought has a lot to do with it, but shame on VIC for this article.

This organization reminds me of the Cubs. Cubs got new ownership, revamped stadium with state of the art equipment, new coach that is proven, new everything. Look where the cubs are.

I feel like things are looking up for our bills. Just like the same situation as cubs. And if we could all stay positive maybe that would help out the team. But articles like this are cancer to a organization. So VIC what are you doing to help out this team. Besides writing shi!#y negative articles. After 30 years I thought I'd see different.

I'll be at the home opener... Driving 500 miles from Chicago. And it is not cause it's a huge party... Not cause of Thursday night... Its because I'm a fu.&ing Bills fan. I love my team. Take this article and shove it VIC.

nobody really cares about what the writers say, it's the 16 yrs of losing that gives this team negative connotations.

Have to say, those here who have advocated for Petula to "buy out the BN"....they couldn't have been more off point.

By publishing any article that is not a "feel good" piece for a "guy we can root for", the predictable backlash by fans draws fire away from the FO and owners.

Petula should put Sully on his payroll (secretively, of course).

Have to say, those here who have advocated for Petula to "buy out the BN"....they couldn't have been more off point.

By publishing any article that is not a "feel good" piece for a "guy we can root for", the predictable backlash by fans draws fire away from the FO and owners.

Petula should put Sully on his payroll (secretively, of course).

Don't like Pegula?

Vic is quickly putting himself on the Mount Rushmore of the Nattering Nabobs of Negativity

You can turn any storyline positive or negative - much easier to go negative. So depressing to read and listen to the WNY media constantly finding the dark side of every situation. And I live in the Carolinas. I actually choose to read and listen to their crap. I hope the team has s great showing this year !!! Go bills!

Edited by racecitybills

No professional player worth their salt would let anything any fan says impact their performance. If a single Bills player is impacted at all by anything any fan or media member says about them I want them off the team today because they are too mentally weak to be of value.

I am not talking player....I am talking organization, media, fans everything... It is always negative.... Why wasnt his piece about the blowout of NE and Sam Adams rumbling into the end zone. I call it the Lawyer Milloy game!

nobody really cares about what the writers say, it's the 16 yrs of losing that gives this team negative connotations.

I understand this. Been a Die hard fan since 86. Hard to do in Chicago Market..... But we can change that CULTURE and sweep that friggen DARK cloud away. Articles like this make that harder to happen.

The score doesn't depend on what is written in the Buffalo News. You're not the only one here who doesn't understand this.

The attitude and commitment from the media and fans will dictate and can dictate the final score.......HOW many times have we seen a game were we need a TD and were all like "This is not going to happen" then Losman or Fitzy, or Holbert, or Johnson, would fail. We finally have a decent QB that has proven to be consistent, and feels good about this season. And Vic spits out this crap. If you dont understand the impact a losing mind frame has on a organization your in need of some football knowledge my friend. There are coaches that have been run out of town cause of media, jobs passed over cause of media markets. To change the losing culture...a HUGE step in doing so would be changeing the mind frame.... We havent played one down yet in the season. This article says its the same old shi*. I urge you to read this article and think to yourself.... Do I see a difference here?

I understand this. Been a Die hard fan since 86. Hard to do in Chicago Market..... But we can change that CULTURE and sweep that friggen DARK cloud away. Articles like this make that harder to happen.

They don't help I suppose, but I don't even read that stuff anymore as I get most of my Bills info here and wouldn't be surprised if many others do too, so not sure how much affect they really have.

We just need to win and this all goes away, GO BILLS!

I am not talking player....I am talking organization, media, fans everything... It is always negative.... Why wasnt his piece about the blowout of NE and Sam Adams rumbling into the end zone. I call it the Lawyer Milloy game!

The Buffalo News has been crazily, unfairly negative of late. I totally agree with that. I was speaking to the people who believe that media and fan criticism (fair or unfair) has any impact on how a team or player actually performs. Because that's ridiculous.

Vic is quickly putting himself on the Mount Rushmore of the Nattering Nabobs of Negativity

You can turn any storyline positive or negative - much easier to go negative. So depressing to read and listen to the WNY media constantly finding the dark side of every situation. And I live in the Carolinas. I actually choose to read and listen to their crap. I hope the team has s great showing this year !!! Go bills!

:w00t: .... :thumbsup:

The Buffalo News has been crazily, unfairly negative of late. I totally agree with that. I was speaking to the people who believe that media and fan criticism (fair or unfair) has any impact on how a team or player actually performs. Because that's ridiculous.

The reporters at the news are simply reporting or commenting on what is actually happening around the team. There is also an influence from the frighteningly epic level of futility the franchise has been mired in , especially being in a league where everything is designed to prevent it. Just what are the positive developments they should be praising? These are journalists, not fans. They are going to have a more realistic and skeptical slant than a fan reaching for something positive to hold on to. But their writing has zero influence on the team's performance on the field . When that changes the reporting will reflect it.

I don't know if it's the connection they're forced to have with the team or what, but to a man they seem to detest the Bills. Many of them are local, and I assume grew up as Bills fans, but somewhere along the way they began hating them. It would be one thing if they occasionally wrote something even accidentally positive, but they don't.