Food / Condiment that you just can't eat

/dev/null

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ketchup and Ranch Dressing. They have ruined many of the American's palate. No matter what you put ketchup on, the whole meal tastes like ketchup. Same with ranch. They drown out any flavors. While I am at it- is there any food more boring than french fries? I dig frites fried in duck fat. But 90% of french fries taste the same IMO

Do you like apples and potatoes? Then it is the smell getting in the way with onions?

Don't know where I remember hearing this... Never looked it up to see if it is true.

Supposedly, if it wasn't for our sense of smell, apples & onions would taste the same.

Okay... Just Googled it:

"Yes apples, potatoes and onions will taste the same if you were to somehow block your sense of smell. The following experiment is the perfect way to test this out. It's not even that elaborate or expensive an experiment. All you'll need to conduct it is an apple, an onion and a potato." ~Jan 5, 2015

http://ipfactly.com/without-smell-apples-potatoes-and-onions-taste-the-same/

A true Chicago hotdog does not have ketchup... To add it is sacrilege.

Fries w/salt and malt vinegar for me!

The strong smell is probably my problem with a lot of foods. I completely agree about Ketchup being so strong it overpowers everything. It's also the reason I don't like oregano.

There are just some ingredients that take over the entire taste of a meal.

Hate olives, all kinds - green, black, martini, etc

Olive oil heated on side for dipping bread makes me sick.

Went to business lunch one time and they were serving it and I needed to leave due to smell.

Not want it in salads either,

Can deal with it usually in cooked food unless it is type where olive oil is just added at end.

Cheese was not meant to be smelled. We bought some cheese out in Marin a few years ago. Put it in the trunk. The car stunk the whole way home. Put it in the fridge and stunk that up like crazy. Put it in a sealed tupperware and it still stunk the whole house up. We ended up putting it on the balcony. BTW....best cheese ever!!!

Limberger cheese is one of things which you smell and think must taste terrible but it is delicious especially with onions on a sandwich.

Taste and smell are very related senses but for some reason limberger defies it.

Water Chestnuts....

Funny thing is my wife is Chinese and hates them but I love them.

Spinach if cooked, like it raw in a salad

You need to try spinach cooked Chinese style; hated all the time growing up and love it how my wife cooks it with garlic.

A true Chicago hotdog does not have ketchup... To add it is sacrilege.

Fries w/salt and malt vinegar for me!

Fries to me are terrible without malt vinegar.

I am a big mushroom fan. My wife isn't.

I discovered that growing up, my mother in law would use canned mushrooms, which probably explains my wife's aversion. (I didn't even know canned mushrooms were a thing).

Another thing which ruined me until I knew better.

We mostly had canned mushrooms growing up, I think they came from food pantry.

Usually they were added to something unsavory like salisbury "steak".

When I went to college I worked at food cooperative and started learning about different mushrooms and would send boxes home to family.

They learned what mushrooms were supposed to taste like.

After I got married I really expanded my mushroom variety and eat many kinds of mushrooms - crimini (white), shiitake, straw, oyster, portobello (my favorite), chanterelle, porcini (local Italian guy grows them).

Never had limberger, would love to try it sometime

Limberger cheese is one of things which you smell and think must taste terrible but it is delicious especially with onions on a sandwich.

Taste and smell are very related senses but for some reason limberger defies it.

Another thing which ruined me until I knew better.

We mostly had canned mushrooms growing up, I think they came from food pantry.

Usually they were added to something unsavory like salisbury "steak".

When I went to college I worked at food cooperative and started learning about different mushrooms and would send boxes home to family.

They learned what mushrooms were supposed to taste like.

After I got married I really expanded my mushroom variety and eat many kinds of mushrooms - crimini (white), shiitake, straw, oyster, portobello (my favorite), chanterelle, porcini (local Italian guy grows them).

When I first moved to Rock Island, I worked in hyrdographic survey, sounding & surveying (& other places) on the Upper Mississipi River. My survey chief was an old-timer and loved gathering wild mushrooms. So, one day we are bushwacking on the bank, cutting a sight line for the transit... Or level run or whatever baseline work we were doing when he spots a giant white puffball. Well, he was in his glory, all happy... You'd think he died and went to heaven! He takes a cool damp towel, wraps the puffball into it and sticks it in the back of the truck. I ask him what he is going to do with it... He tells me: "Fry it up and eat it for dinner." I am like: "Oh my, you sure you know what you are doing." He's like: "Sure!" He went on to explain how he was doing this (hunting shroons) for a long time. Tells me stories how his whole family got sick one time, etc... Etc... But he knows what to pick and not to pick... Years of practice... LMAO! He's like: "You want half?" I am like: "No thanks." HA! This was like 1990 & he was in his late 60's maybe 70's... Back in the day as kid, this puffball would feed his family. It was huge... Like the size of Gugny's head! Or 4 times the size of one normal head. Well, really I didn't know Gugny existed back then... But one helluva giant, humongous white puffball!

Tee hee hee... Old time Iowans, he made it through The Depression, must of learned something about foraging for food. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=SGX37Ymn2lU

When I first moved to Rock Island, I worked in hyrdographic survey, sounding & surveying (& other places) on the Upper Mississipi River. My survey chief was an old-timer and loved gathering wild mushrooms. So, one day we are bushwacking on the bank, cutting a sight line for the transit... Or level run or whatever baseline work we were doing when he spots a giant white puffball. Well, he was in his glory, all happy... You'd think he died and went to heaven! He takes a cool damp towel, wraps the puffball into it and sticks it in the back of the truck. I ask him what he is going to do with it... He tells me: "Fry it up and eat it for dinner." I am like: "Oh my, you sure you know what you are doing." He's like: "Sure!" He went on to explain how he was doing this (hunting shroons) for a long time. Tells me stories how his whole family got sick one time, etc... Etc... But he knows what to pick and not to pick... Years of practice... LMAO! He's like: "You want half?" I am like: "No thanks." HA! This was like 1990 & he was in his late 60's maybe 70's... Back in the day as kid, this puffball would feed his family. It was huge... Like the size of Gugny's head! Or 4 times the size of one normal head. Well, really I didn't know Gugny existed back then... But one helluva giant, humongous white puffball!

Tee hee hee... Old time Iowans, he made it through The Depression, must of learned something about foraging for food. ;-)

Never had limberger, would love to try it sometime

I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food, but I took a whiff of a piece of limberger in the grocery store and nearly barfed. Smells like a poop diaper that has been baking in the sun for a couple days. I don't know if I could get it near my mouth without tossing my cookies.

I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food, but I took a whiff of a piece of limberger in the grocery store and nearly barfed. Smells like a poop diaper that has been baking in the sun for a couple days. I don't know if I could get it near my mouth without tossing my cookies.

Mmm - limberger - yum! Some good rye bread, smear of mustard, beer - Happy!