Food / Condiment that you just can't eat

/dev/null

Do you like apples and potatoes? Then it is the smell getting in the way with onions?

Don't know where I remember hearing this... Never looked it up to see if it is true.

Supposedly, if it wasn't for our sense of smell, apples & onions would taste the same.

Okay... Just Googled it:

"Yes apples, potatoes and onions will taste the same if you were to somehow block your sense of smell. The following experiment is the perfect way to test this out. It's not even that elaborate or expensive an experiment. All you'll need to conduct it is an apple, an onion and a potato." ~Jan 5, 2015

http://ipfactly.com/without-smell-apples-potatoes-and-onions-taste-the-same/

A true Chicago hotdog does not have ketchup... To add it is sacrilege.

Fries w/salt and malt vinegar for me!

I love Chicago dogs, and respect your city's disdain for ketchup. Louis Lunch in New Haven, birthplace of the hamburger feels the same-

http://www.comestiblog.com/weblog/2009/03/wheres-the-beef-at-louis-lunch-in-new-haven.html

Edited by Pete

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Chicago dogs, and respect your city's disdain for ketchup. Louis Lunch in New Haven, birthplace of the hamburger feels the same-

http://www.comestiblog.com/weblog/2009/03/wheres-the-beef-at-louis-lunch-in-new-haven.html

Neon green relish a must!

And @ SuperDawg... Green tomatoes (tradition)!

Ut oh, we are turning this thread into a "like" thread...

Okay, I will bite. Back on topic. I used to work @ Dubel's deli in Cheektowaga:

Head cheese/souse

Blood tongue

Śledzie (pickled herring)... But even @ Wigilia I would have a piece...

Then there is czernina (ducks blood soup)... that schit was so coagulated pulling the soup out from the cooler in it's huge pot... You'd have to chip away the top layer of fat/blood, like dried paint in a paint can, before heating. Totally gross!

I guess I could like that crap if I smothered it in vinegar (like the śledzie I guess... ;-) )

But again, that schit it just weird. Anyway, ever notice how the people who like that schit, look like that schit! Must have been my years workinng in that deli! ;-)

fried in peanut oil, salted and doused in copious vinegar. it's the only way.

In a pointed bottom/triangle paper cup! (Crystal Beach) and some Loganberry or birch beer!

:-)

Raw carrots.

That explains your myopic views. (when it comes to some things ;-)

Don't go blind... Eat your carrots! AND stop doing you know what!

:-P

And JSP said cucumbers... LoL... Co-worker got all bent w/me for making sour cream cucumber salad (learned @ Dubel's of course)... Vinegar, cucumbers, sour cream, tomatoes, onions, etc... Made it on Labor Day and the smell of the stuff (according to him) waffed over to the ice in the freezer... LMAO! Such a baby! Who doesn't like cucumber ice w/just a WEE hint of celery & onion! ;-) ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

That explains your myopic views. (when it comes to some things ;-)

Don't go blind... Eat your carrots! AND stop doing you know what!

:-P

And JSP said cucumbers... LoL... Co-worker got all bent w/me for making sour cream cucumber salad (learned @ Dubel's of course)... Vinegar, cucumbers, sour cream, tomatoes, onions, etc... Made it on Labor Day and the smell of the stuff (according to him) waffed over to the ice in the freezer... LMAO! Such a baby! Who doesn't like cucumber ice w/just a WEE hint of celery & onion! ;-) ;-)

If jerking off really caused blindness, I wouldn't even have eye sockets.

Beets. That's it. Just beets. I'll happily try anything that I haven't tried before but I can't stand beets.

pickled beets are good

I want to like pineapple; I really do.

I simply can't...I have a serious aversion--it tastes so bad to me that my body practically produces a gag reflex

they're so sweet and yummy how can you not.

It's the oil.

French fries need to be fried in animal fat, not industrial seed oils. It's the reason that fries made with duck fat, lard, beef tallow, etc. taste so incredibly delicious.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Do you like apples and potatoes? Then it is the smell getting in the way with onions?

Don't know where I remember hearing this... Never looked it up to see if it is true.

Supposedly, if it wasn't for our sense of smell, apples & onions would taste the same.

Okay... Just Googled it:

"Yes apples, potatoes and onions will taste the same if you were to somehow block your sense of smell. The following experiment is the perfect way to test this out. It's not even that elaborate or expensive an experiment. All you'll need to conduct it is an apple, an onion and a potato." ~Jan 5, 2015

http://ipfactly.com/without-smell-apples-potatoes-and-onions-taste-the-same/

I doubt it, the texture is different and apples are juicier and sweeter, but I am sensitive taster so I can a lot of things manny can't. My wife always tries to trick me with stuff like putting some spice or alcohol in a meal hoping I wont notice but I get her every time, think she would learn by know.

I doubt it, the texture is different and apples are juicier and sweeter, but I am sensitive taster so I can a lot of things manny can't. My wife always tries to trick me with stuff like putting some spice or alcohol in a meal hoping I wont notice but I get her every time, think she would learn by know.

I am skeptical too... If there was only a way to shut off your nose like a blindfold for eyes...

...they do list a nifty experiment... Give it a try!