Kaepernick and the National Anthem

So this may be the one good thing about the 17 year streak. When bad stuff like this happens, no one looks to the Bills.

Let's unite and focus on what's really important. Ending that streak, and ending the Brady Belichek era. Big Ben stepped in it too.

Get people mad at them. Get a reporter to ask Belichek what his father would do if he didn't stand for the flag. When they come to Buffalo, their warmups could get delayed like the Raiders.

Edited by rant_and_go

Interesting stuff from someone who was at the beginning of this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/opinion/colin-kaepernick-football-protests.html

Someone should point out to Eric Reid that Alton Sterling DID have a gun, that the American Flag and anthem are not symbols of the police and that Trump did not refer to whoever "us" is with slurs nor did he praise the Neo-Nazi's.

This is why players like him have so little support in what they're doing. They attempt to make their argument in large part with fiction. You won't change hearts and minds with that.

Steelers tackle Alejandro Villanueva apologizes for 'embarrassing' solo national anthem moment.

alejandro-villanueva-ap-ml-170926_4x3_99

“Unfortunately, I threw my teammates under the bus, unintentionally,” Villanueva said at a press conference on Monday. “Every single time I see that picture of me, standing by myself, I feel embarrassed.”

“I made my teammates look bad, and that is my fault, and my fault only,” Villanueva said. “We as a team tried to figure it out, but obviously butchered it.”

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/steelers-tackle-alejandro-villanueva-apologizes-embarrassing-solo-national/story?id=50095642

Steelers tackle Alejandro Villanueva apologizes for 'embarrassing' solo national anthem moment.

alejandro-villanueva-ap-ml-170926_4x3_99

Unfortunately, I threw my teammates under the bus, unintentionally, Villanueva said at a press conference on Monday. Every single time I see that picture of me, standing by myself, I feel embarrassed.

I made my teammates look bad, and that is my fault, and my fault only, Villanueva said. We as a team tried to figure it out, but obviously butchered it.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/steelers-tackle-alejandro-villanueva-apologizes-embarrassing-solo-national/story?id=50095642

this man has nothing to apologise for. The Steelers should apologize to him. They made themselves look like !@#$s Edited by Boyst62

this man has nothing to apologise for. The Steelers should apologize to him. They made themselves look like !@#$s

absolutely , Rangers lead the way

Villanueva’s career in the NFL didn’t begin until 2014. Prior to that, he served three tours of duty in Afghanistan, where he served as a Captain in the army, as well as being an army ranger.

Edited by ALF

An indictment of all white people really. This confirms the theory that America is a racist country that oppresses black people.

that means 25copypaste is raysis and hates black people too

Makes sense. He feels a lot of guilt

Edited by Boyst62

Interesting stuff from someone who was at the beginning of this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/opinion/colin-kaepernick-football-protests.html

From the article, I think he is coming from the right place with his intent and he is trying to be measured, but this is the kind of thing I was talking about and I don't think it is productive unless he is open to listening. I'll try to give some examples.

In early 2016, I began paying attention to reports about the incredible number of unarmed black people being killed by the police.

That is the very first sentence of the article. He later cites a specific case but one in which the person shot was actually armed. I get his connection given his home town and am not too worried about that one error if it were isolated. What does bother me is him saying "by the police" instead of "by police". The whole premise of the protest is that police are categorizing people into groups (which of course they should not do). He doesn't even get out of his first sentence and he has done the same thing. There are hundreds if not thousands of police departments nationwide. "The police" paints them as monolithic. I wouldn't like it if some police chief said some like "this is how we plan on dealing with blacks" or "the blacks". I can understand if he thinks there is a problem with the Baton Rouge police, or the Chicago police, or something more specific than "the police".

We spoke at length about many of the issues that face our community, including systemic oppression against people of color, police brutality and the criminal justice system.

In general I will give him the benefit of the doubt here because I assume there was limited space for the article, but systemic oppression and the other things listed need to be defined, articulated specifically, and validated before they can be fixed. If not, just about anything can be attributed to them. A dialogue about this should always be on the table but both sides need to be willing to listen. If blacks are being arrested at a higher rate, that is a valid data point and a reason to start a discussion, but it is not proof of anything.

Skin color may or may not be a determining factor in those numbers. Clearly it has no place in being a determining factor and if it is one, that should be eliminated. But anything that is in need of elimination needs to be defined. It's not an easy task for anyone on any side of this argument and no one side should assume it is easy for the other.

It baffles me that our protest is still being misconstrued as disrespectful to the country, flag and military personnel. We chose it because it’s exactly the opposite. It has always been my understanding that the brave men and women who fought and died for our country did so to ensure that we could live in a fair and free society, which includes the right to speak out in protest. It should go without saying that I love my country and I’m proud to be an American. But, to quote James Baldwin, “exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.”

I'm 100% with him on this and am glad to see they took there time and put thought into how to structure their protest.

I can’t find words that appropriately express how heartbroken I am to see the constant smears against Colin, a person who helped start the movement with only the very best of intentions.

I have to differ here. Kaepernick has shown intentions that are not necessarily in line with what one would call the best. The pig socks, Castro praise and Che t-shirt make me wonder how much of the pervious quote Kaepernick would share with Reid. Free and fair society with free speech? Che? That makes no sense at all. Maybe I don't agree 100% with Reid on that quote because he shouldn't be baffled at the backlash that came after those statements by Kaepernick. His girlfriend equating the Ravens owner with a slave owner is probably not the most constructive thing I have ever heard.

A discussion involves more than one way communication. It is not fair to expect Reid, Kaepernick or anyone else to fully comprehend arrest and shooting statistics before saying something. But it wouldn't be fair for them to ignore these statistics either. Because the truth is the truth. Sometimes we know it all but most times we don't. It isn't right to assign cause to the unknown parts so that it matches your agenda. We all do this all the time and always have (I didn't do my homework because that teacher is mean to me and would have just given me a zero anyway). Those who really want a solution to a problem need to move toward a solution. Personally, I don't think pig socks is an indication of someone who wants something solved.

Racism will go away when racists are seen for what they actually are, which is groups of idiots. The best way to deal with idiots is to ignore them. Systemic issues in law and policing can be written out. A racist cop or a racist perpetrator cannot be. They need to be dealt with individually and that is not going to happen all at once. It can't, as much as we'd all like that. Assuming the cop that shot Michael Brown was a racist pig and ruining his life over it does not move us toward any worthwhile goal.

I was driving listening to the pregame GR 550 , listened to national anthem , very nice girl singing and playing piano mid field.

I wish this would just stop , please , please. Trump just made it a lot worse when just a few protested .